Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

just venting. photography branding anyone?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2012 20:47 |  #31

GerryDavid wrote in post #15126382 (external link)
Thanks for the names! Im looking each of them up now. :) I think at a point people start paying to have the name on there. :) Bragging rights.

This, once your name actually adds value to a work instead of being a distraction, start adding it. Until then, not so much for portraiture.

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 15, 2012 21:09 |  #32

Even early ansel adams are valued now. :D

Canon investor

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2012 23:30 |  #33

GerryDavid wrote in post #15127394 (external link)
Even early ansel adams are valued now. :D

when you start producing early ansel adams let me know.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 15, 2012 23:33 |  #34

gonzogolf wrote in post #15127912 (external link)
when you start producing early ansel adams let me know.

Photography is all relative. :) What one person loves another hates. What one judge considers to be a blue ribbon winner another will disagree. At what point do you consider yourself worthy of signing a 16x20 wall print? When your sales average is $1000? When you get published in every magazine? :)

Canon investor

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 15, 2012 23:59 |  #35

GerryDavid wrote in post #15127921 (external link)
Photography is all relative. :) What one person loves another hates. What one judge considers to be a blue ribbon winner another will disagree. At what point do you consider yourself worthy of signing a 16x20 wall print? When your sales average is $1000? When you get published in every magazine? :)

Like I said earlier, when your signature makes the print more valuable, until that point its probably vanity as much as anything else. Art prints are a different matter but this thread started out as a conversation about portraiture. When your clients ask you to sign, then sign.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,694 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 16, 2012 06:20 |  #36

gonzogolf wrote in post #15127997 (external link)
Like I said earlier, when your signature makes the print more valuable, until that point its probably vanity as much as anything else. Art prints are a different matter but this thread started out as a conversation about portraiture. When your clients ask you to sign, then sign.

My portraits are art. I was a portrait painter before I became a photographer--I'm doing the same thing, I merely changed mediums.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2012 06:54 |  #37

RDKirk wrote in post #15128722 (external link)
My portraits are art. I was a portrait painter before I became a photographer--I'm doing the same thing, I merely changed mediums.

And while that has a personal meaning to you, it probably doesn't to your clients.

RDKirk
13,694 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 16, 2012 07:16 |  #38

gonzogolf wrote in post #15128800 (external link)
When your clients ask you to sign, then sign.

Well, right now more of them ask whether they'll make one of my public displays. But I did overlook imprinting an image for a client a while back and she asked about it.

But when clients begin asking, then it means you've shortchanged those clients before you started signing.

Bottom line is, artists sign their work. You've already said so yourself. The only difference between what you've said and what I've said is that you must not consider portraits to be art...or at least not your portraits.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2012 09:14 |  #39

RDKirk wrote in post #15128840 (external link)
Well, right now more of them ask whether they'll make one of my public displays. But I did overlook imprinting an image for a client a while back and she asked about it.

But when clients begin asking, then it means you've shortchanged those clients before you started signing.

Bottom line is, artists sign their work. You've already said so yourself. The only difference between what you've said and what I've said is that you must not consider portraits to be art...or at least not your portraits.

You misinterpret my meaning. In the art photo world its expected to sign, not so in the portrait world.

RDKirk
13,694 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 16, 2012 09:31 |  #40

gonzogolf wrote in post #15129160 (external link)
You misinterpret my meaning. In the art photo world its expected to sign, not so in the portrait world.

I think a lot of art museum curators and art critics would be surprised to learn that portraits are not art.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2012 09:44 |  #41

RDKirk wrote in post #15129226 (external link)
I think a lot of art museum curators and art critics would be surprised to learn that portraits are not art.

Now you are just being obtuse. The marketplace for art photos and the vast majority of portraiture are different. Sure some portraits end up on museum walls, but most are destined for the walls of the family home. I'm pretty sure you are smart enough to get the distinction I was making.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 16, 2012 09:50 |  #42

rd, how do you sign your prints? digitally or after the print has been made? If after, what method do you use? simple acid free marker, gold leaf, some other method?

Now I want to sign my work! But I just spent a couple hundred in studio displays of metal prints *on sale, woo hoo*, so im wondering if I should do something to them to sign them so people know its to be expected. :) and Ill probably do the same as my wallets, tell them my signature is there to see if they have an issue with it.

Canon investor

RDKirk
13,694 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 16, 2012 10:22 |  #43

gonzogolf wrote in post #15129284 (external link)
Now you are just being obtuse. The marketplace for art photos and the vast majority of portraiture are different. Sure some portraits end up on museum walls, but most are destined for the walls of the family home. I'm pretty sure you are smart enough to get the distinction I was making.

I'm not being obtuse at all. Most painted portraits are also destined for the walls of family homes, yet nobody distinguishes them from "art" just because they don't "end up on museum walls." To "end up on museum walls" has never been the definition of art.

Your distinction between portraits and art is specious and not held by anyone in the art community.

bigVinnie
835 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 17, 2012 08:17 |  #44

Studio I worked at in the 80's had a gold leaf stamp they used on 8x10 and larger. As someone else stated at one time it was standard practice. It was also a time when professional portraits meant something to people.

I only know of one studio now that was still doing that as of a few years ago and I think they have stopped as well. I know they don't watermark their online images.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

5,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
just venting. photography branding anyone?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.