Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Apr 2011 (Thursday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which crumpler?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2011 23:16 |  #1

i have a LowePro Rezo 170AW to pack all of my gear (in sig) and its tight (bought when i had just the 2 kit lenses from my t2i). was thinking of switching to a crumpler, but not sure which one would allow me to carry all, and give me versatility. what i mean by that is that my current rezo can fit all 3 of my lenses if the 24-105 is mounted, but if i mount any of the other lenses, the 24-105 simply wont fit.

ideally, i want to be able to store (not necessarily carry) all of my stuff, including the flash, in one bag. the 7MDH looks a bit big, and the 5MDH looks like it will fit a mounted lens and 2 more, but not a flash. i guess 6MDH has the space, but it still looks a bit big. how roomy are these bags? can i get away with a 5MDH, or should i go for a 6MDH?

also, i should note that this doesnt necessarily need to be a travel bag, as i have a lowepro versapack 200 for that

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2011 06:24 |  #2

Yes, you should go with the 6. If you didn't have a flash, then the 5 might work.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 29, 2011 06:45 |  #3

Go with the 6.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2011 06:47 |  #4

Crumpler bags are tight. I've owned the 6 and 7. The don't offer much in the way of pockets or extra zippered areas.

That said, two extra lenses+body with lens mounted works in the 6MDH. It won't leave you much in the way of extra storage, especially if you want it to shut nicely. Don't get the 5MDH with 2 extra lenses.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

scroller52
964 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 29, 2011 15:41 |  #5

go for the 6
i fit the 7D and 3 lenses in my sig with a 430 in there

Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon 24mm 1.4L mkII | Canon 85mm 1.2L mkI | Canon 40mm 2.8
my flickr (external link)
my picasa (external link)

lucasmcd
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2011 18:24 as a reply to  @ scroller52's post |  #6

Another vote for the 6 million bag , I have the 7 million and at first I thought it was a bit on the large size but after carrying it for several trips the bag now feels smaller and I love it.

Better to have the extra room rather than trying to squeeze everything in , these bags do have a lot of padding.

Olympus OMD EM-5

12-50 , 25 F1.4 , 60 F2.8 Macro , 75 F1.8 , Tripod 3LT Brian , Lee Seven5 .

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 29, 2011 23:44 |  #7

I had the 6...then my gear collection grew. Sold the 6 and got the 7...Couldn't be happier.

6 is fine for a few extra lenses...but depending on the lenses, you won't have enough room for the hoods.

Gear List

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 01, 2011 20:36 |  #8

thanks all. i will be a happy 6MDH owner come monday afternoon

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 01, 2011 20:46 |  #9

ekinnyc wrote in post #12329638 (external link)
thanks all. i will be a happy 6MDH owner come monday afternoon

I've have 60D, 10-22, 17-85, 70-300, 28, 50, 85, 580exii, ocf cable, spare AAs, soft pouch with filters, small gps, misc small cloths, lenspens, etc.

It barely closes.

Very tight. I'd like an extra half-inch in front-to-back depth if I were to carry everything all the time, but the reason I chose it was to carry it mostly empty most of the time and fit a big water bottle (1lt/32oz nalgene) and be comfortable on an extended photowalk with 2-3 lenses (not everything and the kitchen sink).

I expect you'll be happy with your choice.

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2011 22:51 |  #10

bdp23 wrote in post #12329678 (external link)
I'd like an extra half-inch in front-to-back depth

I'd like the opposite :) for them to take away 1/2-1 inch depth because it already looks like a bloody ice cooler hanging from my shoulder

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 01, 2011 23:05 |  #11

bdp23 wrote in post #12329678 (external link)
I've have 60D, 10-22, 17-85, 70-300, 28, 50, 85, 580exii, ocf cable, spare AAs, soft pouch with filters, small gps, misc small cloths, lenspens, etc.

:shock:

went a little happy at B&H? lol, dear god thats alot of stuff
well, if that all fits and "it barely closes", i suppose my 3 lenses and a flash will be quite comfy in there

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 01, 2011 23:07 |  #12

Sirrith wrote in post #12330408 (external link)
I'd like the opposite :) for them to take away 1/2-1 inch depth because it already looks like a bloody ice cooler hanging from my shoulder

I'm still looking for a slimline bag I like, just to carry 3 lenses, or 2 lenses and the body-only (no lens) slid in sideways/vertically.

My gripe with the 6MDH is that it has all the configuration options for 2 lenses side-by-side either side of the middle body+lens section, but it doesn't have the space to actually use it. It's kinda tough to put anything in there cos when you take a lens out the flap is too short and lets the small stuff fall across into the gap and stops you sliding the lens back in later.

It's as though they had a good large design (say 7MDH) and worked out an ok small design (3mdh) and divided up the dimensions into steps to make more bags in between.

As I mentioned, it works well for 1 body, 2 lenses and a big water bottle. If it were any narrower you'd have to keep the camera grip to one side, over the top of the side lens compartment and that would restrict you keeping a long lens and a waterbottle/flash at the same time because of the height restriction. (I hope I've explained what I mean clearly enough ;))

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 04, 2011 22:26 |  #13

well, got my 6MDH. very happy with it, but i can definitely see why people say its tight.

i placed my 430ex and siggy 30 in the left side, the t2i with 24-105 in the middle, and the tammy 17-50 on the right. also fit in my charger, my AA charger, the omnibounce, a spare lenscap, and a protective case for my CPL when i want to take it off. thats a good arrangement, but the downside is that i need to reshuffle EVERYTHING when i want to switch lenses (ie. the tammy has to go on the left, when i want to use the sigma)

i think i may keep the old bag as well, if it doesnt sell. that way, i can keep one of the bags as primary storage, and use the other for when i need to travel light without ALL of my stuff.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 05, 2011 06:58 |  #14

I bring spare batteries and leave the chargers at home, unless I am traveling overnight. It's not like I am going to be sitting around for an hour plus, during an outing charging batteries.

The lenscap and filter case can go in the front section.

I don't see why you need to move lenses around when swapping.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 05, 2011 10:25 |  #15

i dont have any spare batteries for now, so i carry the charger if need be. you have a good point though, about waiting for it to recharge. i guess i dont shoot enough to the point where i need spares, and can really get away with recharging overnight

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

1,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
which crumpler?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.