Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Apr 2011 (Friday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Bag Opinions

whotaketh
200 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 29, 2011 17:45 |  #1

Oh god, not another one of these bag threads...

Bear with me if you would please, I'm just looking for suitable options that would be able to accommodate the gear I'd want to tote around. My recent addition has given me cause to need something bigger than my Lowepro Passport.

The most I can foresee carrying at any one time is a 60D + 70-200 2.8 IS + 24 1.4/Sigma 50 1.4 (any of the lenses attached preferably, but not a requirement) + a 580 EX II + lunch in one of those round plastic takeout containers. Waterproof is a must, one-shoulder design is preferable (don't want a rolling case and I already have a backpack), and it must not look like a camera bag (as I mostly walk in NYC, I don't want to be a target).

I'm brand agnostic, so as long as it fits the aforementioned criteria and doesn't blow my budget out of the water (under $200 is acceptable, though less is preferable). Thanks!

- 60D(w/ Zeikos grip) - 5d2 - 70-200 f2.8L IS I - 85 1.8 - Sigma 50 1.4 DG HSM - 24 1.4L II - 580EX II

sponsored links
egraphdesign
269 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 29, 2011 18:19 |  #2

If you are in or near NYC why not just good to one of the huge camera stores there and looks at bags?
Not trying to be a smart ass but if I was still there that's what I would do.

Jim

jay125
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2011 19:44 |  #3

urban disguise makes great bags. they don't look like conventional camera bags which makes them less likely to draw attention to the fact you're toting around some expensive stuff. i have the urban disguise 40, which fits pretty much the gear you described. it's also less than the 200 buck budget you seek :)

like Jim posted earlier, sometimes it's easier to check it out in a camera store. i live in iowa so camera stores aren't all that close. i bought mine online was completely happy with it.

feedback

gear list

whotaketh
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 29, 2011 20:13 |  #4

egraphdesign wrote in post #12318664 (external link)
If you are in or near NYC why not just good to one of the huge camera stores there and looks at bags?
Not trying to be a smart ass but if I was still there that's what I would do.

Jim

I would, but I've still got a day job. B&H is closest, but some of the salespeople rub me the wrong way with their attitude. I'd also rather get a starting point from which to base my search, or I'd go in there looking like a sacrificial lamb. :P

- 60D(w/ Zeikos grip) - 5d2 - 70-200 f2.8L IS I - 85 1.8 - Sigma 50 1.4 DG HSM - 24 1.4L II - 580EX II

whotaketh
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 29, 2011 20:15 |  #5

jay125 wrote in post #12318987 (external link)
urban disguise makes great bags. they don't look like conventional camera bags which makes them less likely to draw attention to the fact you're toting around some expensive stuff. i have the urban disguise 40, which fits pretty much the gear you described. it's also less than the 200 buck budget you seek :)

like Jim posted earlier, sometimes it's easier to check it out in a camera store. i live in iowa so camera stores aren't all that close. i bought mine online was completely happy with it.

yeah I know it's easier sometimes. I'm just not happy with some of the salespeople in B&H, and all the others are out of my lunch hour commuting range, so I thought I'd attack it from a different angle this time. thanks for the rec, I'll check it out.

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 29, 2011 20:22 |  #6

somebody made a regular messenger bag, put a $29 camera foam dividers from Amazon here the other, I can't remember what post it is, search around it seem really nice.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

CalPiker
397 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 30, 2011 15:38 |  #7

I picked up the Lowepro Classified 200 AW. It looks more like a laptop bag than a camera bag. And it has a built in (and very well hidden) rain cover in the bottom. I've had it for about a year and a half and carry it with me every day. It still looks like new and I've had no problems with it carrying all of my gear and still have some room for other things.

Gear List
Can I take your picture? "I'll swallow your soul!" Well, my camera will at least.

sponsored links

971 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Bag Opinions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.