Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter holder w wide angle/ filters & stacking question

Mitch.A
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 30, 2011 19:10 |  #1

Hey guys :) ,,

I know I know , every other thread is about the holders and the filers , but i've used the search option for a couple of weeks and i just need some clarifications and confirmations , i pretty much know what i'll be buying but need some directions ,,

-I'm ordering in a couple of days the sigma 17-50 OS . The Sigma 10-20 (the older version / variable aperture) will follow within a few weeks , both take 77mm .

1-I'll be getting a CPL , 1 ND & 2 GNDs + a holder and an adapter .

I'm pretty much set on the CPL , i have a 58mm B+W KSM MRC and i'm really happy with it so i'll probably get a 77mm , from what i've read i don't need the slim version , is that correct ?

2-About the ND i'm still not sure about it , i'll be using it for landscape to be able to use a slower shutter + when doing portraits w/ flash during the day as i'm limited to a shutter of 1/200 ,,

I'm leaning towards the screw-in 3 stops , i heard the Hitech ones are good , what do you think ?

3-About the GNDs , i'll be getting 0.9 Hard + 0.6 Soft ,, probably going for the Hitech 4x5 , heard good things about them ,, Any more suitable options ?

4-About the holder and adapter ,, i know the LEE foundation kit is the best , but as you know it's rare to find and in Canada its price is crazy , around double the US one , so buying locally is not an option ,
on the other hand , Only B&H or E-bay provides reasonable shipping costs and i can't register myself in any to be in the waiting list ,

so i thought about the Cokin ones , from what i read the P-sized holder vignettes starting from 12mm on a crop , will i still get the vignetting with the Z-pro ?

And is that the suitable adapter ?
Cokin 77mm Z-PRO Adapter Ring (0.75mm Pitch Thread) (external link) .

Finally , About stacking , i know it may degrade the image quality but is it possible to Stack the CPL - ND - GND , for example if i'm shooting a landscape with a water surface in it , i'll need the CPL to control the reflections + sky , ND to be able to use a slower shutter and a ND to expose the sky accurately to get the details , is that possible ? any vignetting issue i should take care of ?

about my budget , i'll probably want to keep it less than 500$ .

N.B. : i will be traveling by the End of June , so i can't wait more than that for the LEE foundation .

Short version : 77mm filter size , wide angle 10-20 on a crop , Which Holder and Adapter ? Screw-in or Circular and which brand ? Slim CPL ? Stacking issues ?

Thank you in advance , you've always been so helpful :) .

Facebook (external link) / Flickr (external link) / 5 (external link)∞px (external link) / Behance (external link) / Tumblr (external link)
550D - Σ 17-50 OS - 85 f/1.8

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

sponsored links
les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 30, 2011 21:58 |  #2

i have a cokin p system mainly to suite a tokina 11-16, you can buy a holder that is designed for UWA lenses that does not vignett too badly, there is still a little in the corners @ 11mm, down side of this holder is that it will only hold 1 filter, the regular holder will take 3

gear list

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2011 12:21 |  #3

Thnx for the input , but i don't think 1 slot will be practical , i was hoping to get away with the regular 3 slots .

Facebook (external link) / Flickr (external link) / 5 (external link)∞px (external link) / Behance (external link) / Tumblr (external link)

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2011 19:58 |  #4

Any other thoughts ?

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 01, 2011 20:44 as a reply to  @ Mitch.A's post |  #5

I shot with the Lee cpl and a nd, no issues whatsoever. I use an ultra wide adaptor for all my lenses.

I have the Lee foundationholder, CPL front lens (uses 4 extended screws to attach to the holder), and a .9 nd, and a .3, .6, and .9 hard gnd filters. I think I paid approximately $590 for those. I also got the "big stopper"...off the top of my head, I do not remember the price..maybe $125.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2011 06:36 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #6

Even though the the Cokin Z-Pro is a larger holder, it is more prone to vignetting. So much so that one workaround is to mount the adapter ring in the first filter slot, pretty much limiting you to two filters at the very most.

The Lee system is by far the best in this regard.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2011 15:49 |  #7

Thanks guys , i appreciate your help , i guess i'll try to wait a little bit for the LEE system , do you happen to know a place where i can register in the waiting list that ships to Canada with reasonable costs ? if not i'm gonna try to get the Z-pro and modify it , can anyone please confirm on my ND/CPL and GND choices ? thanks again

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

May 02, 2011 16:06 as a reply to  @ Mitch.A's post |  #8

If you are planning on stacking the CPL and a screw in ND and the filter holder you will vignette badly on a WA lens. That said, if you are going with a filter holder system why not just get a 4x4 ND to go along with the GND's? Stacking just a CPL with the filter holder will be much better than stacking all 3.

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2011 16:33 |  #9

first of all , thanks for you help :)

well , i thought about the Screw in ND for 2 reasons : it's be easier to set up when doing portraits and to get away with putting 2 other filter in the holder if i do the modification that Argyle suggested ,, but if it'll cause hard vignetting , i' guess i'll disregard it ,, my main problem now is the holder , LEE and even the Z-pro are OOS and the local stores have CRAZY prices .

About the CPL , am i gaining anything getting the slim ? the slim B+W KSM MRC is actually cheaper by a couple of dollars ?

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

May 02, 2011 17:11 as a reply to  @ Mitch.A's post |  #10

The slim will prevent vignetting on the EXTREME WA focal lengths, however most slim CPL will not have front threads. This means you can't use a standard lens cap OR stack any filter/filter holder on top of it. I would just use a regular cpl and sacrifice a few mm of extreme WA. If you can afford it or want it, a LEE 4x4 CPL might be a good option to still be able to utilize the WA lens at it's full potential.

Try http://2filter.com/Lee​filters/LeeFilters4x4.​html (external link) and see if they will ship to Canada. They are a great place to buy filters from, and also offer filter kits so you can save money by buying more than 1 at a time. Give them a call if you have questions they have great customer service.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2011 17:14 as a reply to  @ TuanTime's post |  #11

And you can also try uniquephoto.com. They also have it in stock, and may ship reasonably to Canada.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2011 17:47 |  #12

TuanTime wrote in post #12334863 (external link)
The slim will prevent vignetting on the EXTREME WA focal lengths, however most slim CPL will not have front threads. This means you can't use a standard lens cap OR stack any filter/filter holder on top of it. I would just use a regular cpl and sacrifice a few mm of extreme WA. If you can afford it or want it, a LEE 4x4 CPL might be a good option to still be able to utilize the WA lens at it's full potential.

Try http://2filter.com/Lee​filters/LeeFilters4x4.​html (external link) and see if they will ship to Canada. They are a great place to buy filters from, and also offer filter kits so you can save money by buying more than 1 at a time. Give them a call if you have questions they have great customer service.

i remembered i read somewhere over here , that's not practical at all ,,

I contacted 2filter.com about their policy and rates , thanks a lot :)

And you can also try uniquephoto.com. They also have it in stock, and may ship reasonably to Canada.

You mean the Foundation kit ? i found it OOS , but the Lee 105mm Round Filter Holder For Foundation Kit FP105 is in stock , i'm not sure if it's a substitute ? is it a normal holder than needs an adapter and then can use the filters directly ?

I appreciate the help .

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

May 02, 2011 19:44 as a reply to  @ Mitch.A's post |  #13

The 105mm adapter ring fits onto the front of a Lee Foundation Kit so that you can attach 105mm filters to the front of the Foundation kit.

Mitch.A
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 02, 2011 22:29 |  #14

Oh okey , it's just an adapter ring , the title got me confused , thanks :)

Feel free to critique
HARSHLY !

sponsored links

3,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter holder w wide angle/ filters & stacking question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.