Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2011 (Sunday) 20:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

using shutter without pressing on camera

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 01, 2011 20:35 |  #1

i remember reading somewhere in passing that advanced users use a technique of activating the shutter by sliding their finger over the button, or something along those lines. my hands arent that steady, and i feel that when i press the shutter, i push down on the body, which introduces some shake/minute blur

any advice on where to read about this, or did i imagine it?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2011 05:25 |  #2

Buy a remote shutter release, wired or wireless...they aren't much money.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,962 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2011 05:29 |  #3

I do what Chauncy does - you can also use the self timer on the camera.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 02, 2011 12:20 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #4

I'd suggest a light monopod to help out.

| Canon EOS Systems |

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 02, 2011 12:27 |  #5

i dont use a mono- or a tri-pod, and prefer to travel light, so thats out of the question for me. i assume that to use a remote shutter, id need to have the camera on a pod, since i cant use both hands to zoom/focus/compose/sup​port the camera and press the remote at the same time without moving the camera anyway.

i like the 2sec timer idea, but sometimes the subject will think you took a pic, and start moving.

ill try to google what im talking about in OP, and post it here. im not cwaaazy, i swear :-P

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2011 14:55 |  #6

ekinnyc wrote in post #12333315 (external link)
i dont use a mono- or a tri-pod, and prefer to travel light, so thats out of the question for me. i assume that to use a remote shutter, id need to have the camera on a pod, since i cant use both hands to zoom/focus/compose/sup​port the camera and press the remote at the same time without moving the camera anyway.

i like the 2sec timer idea, but sometimes the subject will think you took a pic, and start moving.

ill try to google what im talking about in OP, and post it here. im not cwaaazy, i swear :-P

Well then, since the concern in your OP was about camera shake, and you have no intention of using any of the possible fixes, I guess camera shake will continue to be an issue for you. :rolleyes:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 02, 2011 14:56 |  #7

I'm dying to hear how you can push the button without touching it.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,962 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2011 15:15 |  #8

Some of the P&S cameras - and I realize yours is not one of them - have a small remote control. This requires the camera to be placed on a wall, pedestal or fence since you won't use one of those small tripods. Other than that I really cannot think of the device you mention.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 02, 2011 15:19 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #9

Curious... Increase shutter speed to "compensate" for the shake? :confused:

| Canon EOS Systems |

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 02, 2011 15:21 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #12329633 (external link)
i remember reading somewhere in passing that advanced users use a technique of activating the shutter by sliding their finger over the button, or something along those lines. my hands arent that steady, and i feel that when i press the shutter, i push down on the body, which introduces some shake/minute blur

any advice on where to read about this, or did i imagine it?

Were "they" talking about rolling your finger onto the shutter button and not "Stabbing" or "Jabbing" at it.

Over eager photographers have a habit of mashing down on the shutter button so hard that they actually cause the camera to tilt or twist which can throw off your framing (makes you tilt up) and/or your horizons (images run downhill from left to right.)

One trick is to not completely raise your finger off the button. Keeping light contact lets you know your finger is in the right place so you don't have to hunt for the shutter button. Having to hunt for it can cause the "Aha!" moment and induce the afore mentioned button mashing.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
4,023 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 02, 2011 15:44 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #11

Think of it as a trigger on a gun (I'm not a gun person at all, this is just a metaphor) - you don't want to pull the trigger, you want to squeeze it. Same thing here - don't "push" the button, squeeze it. In other words, think smooth, not sharp. I think you just need to practice this. Maybe intentionally shoot with somewhat longer exposures than normal, to accentuate the need to be steady and smooth. Work on the way you're holding the camera.

I'm mainly here for the snacks

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 02, 2011 15:51 |  #12

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12334325 (external link)
Were "they" talking about rolling your finger onto the shutter button and not "Stabbing" or "Jabbing" at it.

Over eager photographers have a habit of mashing down on the shutter button so hard that they actually cause the camera to tilt or twist which can throw off your framing (makes you tilt up) and/or your horizons (images run downhill from left to right.)

One trick is to not completely raise your finger off the button. Keeping light contact lets you know your finger is in the right place so you don't have to hunt for the shutter button. Having to hunt for it can cause the "Aha!" moment and induce the afore mentioned button mashing.

yes, rolling, thats what it was. thanks.

@ gonzo... you heard it here. telepathy.
@ rral.... clearly, those 2 werent the ONLY fixes, but thanks for the observation

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

2,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
using shutter without pressing on camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.