Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So much for Canon shutter lifespans.....

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2011 07:36 |  #1

My 1DS3 had a problem during some weddings in that every second image I took was black.

Turns out the shutter needed replacing. For me this is a big red flag to leave Canon considering the shutter count......

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 03, 2011 07:46 |  #2

I agree; everyone knows that Nikon cameras never have any failures.

Gear List

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2011 07:49 |  #3

PixelMagic wrote in post #12338591 (external link)
I agree; everyone knows that Nikon cameras never have any failures.

There's a big difference between 60k and 250k and considering I had a 40D that failed at 17k actuations it makes you wonder.

Chris Giles Photography

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 03, 2011 07:56 |  #4

i must live a charmed life...my 30D had over 80K actuations when i sold it, my used 5D is easily near 100K and i would think my 5D2 is close to 100K as well.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 03, 2011 07:57 |  #5

That's not good! Did you got any explanation from them as to how a shutter rated at 250k fail at 50k?

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 03, 2011 08:08 |  #6

So you had a shutter let go at just shy of 60k. It happens. You're not the first and won't be the last.
Plenty of people on this forum have had a shutter go at much less than that, and even more have had them go at way beyond that and their estimated life expectancy. It's NOT a guaranteed number.
It's the luck of the draw.
I've done three. Fortunately, the two on my 10D were well beyond the rated life - about 160k and 120k. My 1D MkII was just shy of the 200k rating. I got lucky, you didn't - move on.
The fact is, most people will upgrade or get rid of their camera way before the shutter lets go, so for them, it's a non issue.
A shutter is a mechanical part and can fail at anytime - expect that it will happen.
Just like driving a car - expect that at some stage you will have a crash.
You hope it doesn't happen, but it can.
Do you switch brands because you crashed?
Usually not would be my guess.

If you feel better making the switch to Nikon, go ahead.
You'll be disappointed to find that the same thing probably applies.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2011 08:19 |  #7

Don't place too much emphasis on me moving to Nikon but it's things like this that make me consider trying another vendor.

The 1D series is a professional camera, for professionals to use. The shutter isn't supposed to fail so quickly. I've also got a Pixma PRo 9000 mkII less than 6 months old in front of me as well that isn't pulling the CD's into the printer.

This 1DS3 cost £5000 when new and I was halfway through 4 weddings back to back over the Easter weekend. I paid for reliability not this.

I've asked the technician to call me regarding this. 60k is nothing for a 1D series....or so you'd think.

Chris Giles Photography

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,437 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 03, 2011 08:32 |  #8

keyframe14 wrote in post #12338623 (external link)
That's not good! Did you got any explanation from them as to how a shutter rated at 250k fail at 50k?

I think one of the worst things Canon, and all camera manufacturers, did was publish their MTBF numbers. The shutter is not really rated for 250K. The number is just telling you that 1/2 of the cameras will do better than 250k and 1/2 will not. The shutter can fail at any time from the first click to the millionth click.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2011 08:36 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I'd probably switch companies if my shutter failed first click..but 60k sounds understandable.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2011 08:43 |  #10

Yep, it should have lasted longer. So should your other one. You might be extremely unlucky or there might be an underlying cause for this to happen to two cameras that you owned. Most have much longer life. I'm tending to think it's not a Canon specific problem you're having.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 03, 2011 08:47 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #12338747 (external link)
I think one of the worst things Canon, and all camera manufacturers, did was publish their MTBF numbers. The shutter is not really rated for 250K. The number is just telling you that 1/2 of the cameras will do better than 250k and 1/2 will not. The shutter can fail at any time from the first click to the millionth click.

I have to agree.
It's only in the digital age that people have become obsessed with shutters, shutter counts and actuations.
I don't ever recall anyone I regularly shoot with talk about shutter life, and even now they still don't, but it's an obsession on the interweb.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2011 08:49 |  #12

luciddreamer wrote in post #12338792 (external link)
Yep, it should have lasted longer. So should your other one. You might be extremely unlucky or there might be an underlying cause for this to happen to two cameras that you owned. Most have much longer life. I'm tending to think it's not a Canon specific problem you're having.

I do ride a Rodeo Bull at weddings. That won't help it I guess :D

Chris Giles Photography

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2011 08:58 |  #13

I was thinking dirt getting in there. But rodeo bulls might be it too. Who knows, could be some environmental thing. Something getting in there making it sticky or corroding.. whatever. I'm guessing you'd have the same problem with another brand is all I'm saying.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 03, 2011 09:03 |  #14

philwillmedia wrote in post #12338659 (external link)
A shutter is a mechanical part and can fail at anytime - expect that it will happen. Just like driving a car - expect that at some stage you will have a crash. You hope it doesn't happen, but it can.
Do you switch brands because you crashed?
Usually not would be my guess.

if you crashed because the brakes failed with 15K on the odometer, yes i would switch.

if you crashed because of human error and not a mechanical failure, that's a different analogy.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2011 09:08 |  #15

What's spooked me the most was not knowing.

I thought to myself that if the 1DS3 failed I would always have the 1D4, which is fine but with two public holidays over Easter and the 1DS3 failing on Good Friday with two weddings to go the thought that the 1D4 could of failed too is a bit scary.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

8,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
So much for Canon shutter lifespans.....
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.