Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 10:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Skateboard Photo C&C?

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2011 10:04 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Would there be anyone willing to go through my gallery of 205 images from this weekend at a local skate competition and tell me what works, what doesn't and what I should keep in mind?

Preferably someone with a lot of experience with this kind of thing, as Joe who shoots weddings may not have the same views that most people in the skateboarding scene would.

Please note this is volunteer only, just if you have some free time. I can't compensate financially.

http://www.theframedli​fe.com …LsDb2F#12733601​75_5BcNp5c (external link)

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 03, 2011 11:18 |  #2

I'll run through them real quick. I'm not a skate photographer, but I've been around it enough. From what I've seen its all about the size of the trick. Whether thats complexity or stair count. Some of the shots you couldn't pick out what they were doing, others you could make a pretty good guess.

#35 - Re-crop, add fill light
#40 - Re-crop
#71 - Re-crop
#102 - great shot but backgrounds distracting
#161 - crop kids on right out

Great stuff. Be aware of your background. A group of people isn't as big of a problem as two kids.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

Beach_Bum
55 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 03, 2011 12:40 as a reply to  @ ZXDrew's post |  #3

I did not go through all of them, but one thing I did notice upon a quick browse was that the majority of your shots did not show the run up AND landing. In skateboard photography it is important to show BOTH.

LucianMuica
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2011

May 12, 2011 07:05 |  #4

as far as I saw going through your pictures, I agree with what Beach_Bum says ... run up and landing kinda missing

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 12, 2011 07:11 |  #5

yup, take care that you got the ground below the skater, otherwise there is nothing to set in relation to his/her height. also try to shoot with a wider aperture, to get a bit of separation between background and subject.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Skateboard Photo C&C?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.