Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tims Wedding Album Design Tutorial

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 08, 2011 00:45 |  #16

Great write up.
One question,
What do you tell your clients when they ask how many pics go in the album?
I always run into clients who choose too many shots. I suggest adding pages and often that works out great but sometimes it ends with more images on a page then I prefer.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links
tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2011 00:56 |  #17

zagiace wrote in post #12895142 (external link)
Great write up.
One question,
What do you tell your clients when they ask how many pics go in the album?
I always run into clients who choose too many shots. I suggest adding pages and often that works out great but sometimes it ends with more images on a page then I prefer.

I tell people that on average each page has 2-3 images, but it varies between one image taking two pages to sixteen images per page.

Because I predesign customers can see how good things like nicely spaced out. Some cram images in, but that tends to be because of a budget.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 12, 2011 19:07 |  #18

I've been very happy with the design service offered by PictoBooks; for $45 I let them design it...easy and cheap! They offer a 'design-with-edits' option for slightly more but it's well worth it. All I do is upload the images for the album and they do the rest, so easy :cool: upon seeing the proof I can make whatever changes I want and they get right on it. Hmm, this is beginning to sound like a plug for Picto...maybe they'll throw me a deal next time :rolleyes:
I rename each image so they are uploaded in the exact chronological order I want, and I can be specific about certain images taking up a whole spread or letting multiple images cover a page, at no extra cost.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 01, 2011 15:54 |  #19

First post updated with a quick version of my workflow.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 07, 2011 14:17 |  #20

Thanks Tim!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2011 19:24 |  #21

Queensberry will do a duplicate parents album no matter what size your album is, they just scale it down. My 14x10 albums end up 7x5. 18x10" albums end up a bit narrower.

Do they do it automatically for you? or do you have to edit it in photojunction or similar software?

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2011 19:33 |  #22

siddr20 wrote in post #13066820 (external link)
Do they do it automatically for you? or do you have to edit it in photojunction or similar software?

There's no editing required, it's an exact duplicate, scaled down. I just tell them how many I want and they do the rest.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2012 12:36 as a reply to  @ post 12894940 |  #23

So what album design software is the best including templates etc.?

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2012 18:29 |  #24

There are other and certainly less expensive options, but I've been very happy with FotoFusion by Lumapix. It comes with templates, but I can build my own custom designs so quickly, I don't even bother with them.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2012 00:14 |  #25

Not sure if it was posted somewhere, but I think a sample of one of your albums would help put a visual to all of that incredible information you posted.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 30, 2012 15:05 |  #26

Armans Photography wrote in post #14175379 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;14175379]S​o what album design software is the best including templates etc.?

I use PhotoJunction. It's free and integrates very well with Queensberry, mostly because they made it, but it works with any album company. It's a little quirky but once you're used to it it's great. There's plenty of tutorials around.

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14178893 (external link)
Not sure if it was posted somewhere, but I think a sample of one of your albums would help put a visual to all of that incredible information you posted.

Sure I'll do that some time. It's the middle of my wedding season so someone remind me if it's not done in a few weeks.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2012 17:34 |  #27

Awesome. Thanks. I look forward to it

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 18:24 as a reply to  @ ChadAndreo's post |  #28

Thanks for the info

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 05, 2012 05:27 |  #29

See the bottom of the first post of the thread for a link to a sample album. This isn't as I designed it, it's after the couple made their changes, it's what I have handy. I may add another some time.

If anyone comments on specific pages please use the filename of the image to refer to it.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 15, 2013 15:08 |  #30

Hey Tim. Thanks for the write-up that I've only now got to ! Do you have any samples of your recent albums that you wouldn't mind sharing ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

20,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tims Wedding Album Design Tutorial
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.