Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 04 May 2011 (Wednesday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airshow shooters, how do you carry your gear?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 04, 2011 20:20 |  #1

I'm interested in how airshow shooters, especially those with long lenses, carry their gear at an airshow.

For myself, I just bought the Canon 300 f2.8 IS that I couple to the 1.4x and 7D.
With it I use the Tamrac Neoprene Boomerang N-5057 strap, which I find comfortable enough for an hour or two. For my next airshow, I'll take it along with my trusty Oly 620 and 50-200/1.4x combo. So that's two systems to carry all day long in the hot sun. Here's some carry options I've been looking into...

http://www.kgear.com/s​tore/l/l521c.html (external link)

It allows me to carry the 7D & 300 attached with hood extended. Offers protection and I can carry the combo over my shoulder when not shooting. Drawback: expensive and would get heavy on the shoulder.

http://cottoncarrier.c​om/ (external link)

Cotten carrier vest system. Looks like a great idea, and would let me carry two cameras. Drawback: no protection from bumps & knocks, or the drip from a messy chili-cheese dog. Has that nerd look.

http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=0B3DCAD7CG​YEFREHCYXM (external link)

Photo case on wheels. Offers lots of protection and holds lots of gear. Drawback: might be restricted from some airports, especially military.

So how do these options sound? I'm open to your ideas.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links
bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 04, 2011 20:47 |  #2

I pretty much only use two lenses for Airshows on a 7D, the 10-22 and 100-400L. I put the 10-22 on the camera and go early to shoot static aircraft early with the sun low. I carry the 100-400 in it's Canon zip bag attached to a web belt that I sling over my shoulder. There's enough room in that pouch to also hold a rocket blower and a couple of extra flash cards. When I change lenses, the 10-22 goes back in the Canon lens pouch. I also carry a shoulder bag with snacks, water, sunscreen, etc. That's pretty much it for airshow gear for me.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 04, 2011 20:57 |  #3

1DMkIV + 500mm f/4 on one shoulder (OpTech strap on each .. Always double strap the 500*)
1DMkIII + <Insert Lens> on the other shoulder.
I like to have with me:
- 17-40
- 24-70 or 135 depending on what is on static display. I like to shoot details.**
- 70-200 or 100-400 depending on show size
- Stacked TCs (1.4x + 2x)
- 580EXII + Curly Cord
- Rocket Blower
- Lens Pen
- Notebook + Pen
- Water / Gatorade
- Reading Glasses

All of the above is accommodated in a large Domke vest.
(*Having a strap on the 500 also allows me to carry it by itself if I want to mount two shorter lenses on each body. I have a Corningware lid that covers the front of the 500 so I can just set it down on its nose if I need to.)

**Visit my website and under "Aviation," look for my "Art Of Flight" gallery to see the type of details I look for.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

PhotosGuy
75,852 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 04, 2011 21:39 |  #4

I carry one camera & two lenses. The combination is hung from my shoulder & the other lens is in this: See post #32 or the Tamrac belt in Post #68.
Show me your camera bag

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 04, 2011 22:50 |  #5

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12349371 (external link)
1DMkIV + 500mm f/4 on one shoulder (OpTech strap on each .. Always double strap the 500*)
1DMkIII + <Insert Lens> on the other shoulder.
I like to have with me:
- 17-40
- 24-70 or 135 depending on what is on static display. I like to shoot details.**
- 70-200 or 100-400 depending on show size
- Stacked TCs (1.4x + 2x)
- 580EXII + Curly Cord
- Rocket Blower
- Lens Pen
- Notebook + Pen
- Water / Gatorade
- Reading Glasses

All of the above is accommodated in a large Domke vest.
(*Having a strap on the 500 also allows me to carry it by itself if I want to mount two shorter lenses on each body. I have a Corningware lid that covers the front of the 500 so I can just set it down on its nose if I need to.)

Thanks Jay. As usual, your replies are very helpful.
I looked at the Domke vest, and I can see how it can carry lots of stuff.
Might have to get one myself.

But do you have any opinion on the Pelican case on wheels? Or the Cotten carrier? Maybe you or your friends have used these? Seems to me that these offer a better alternative to carrying gear with shoulder straps or bags. Just thinking out loud.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 04, 2011 23:04 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #12349616 (external link)
I carry one camera & two lenses. The combination is hung from my shoulder & the other lens is in this: See post #32 or the Tamrac belt in Post #68.
Show me your camera bag

Thanks, Mr. Moderator.

On your link, post 3667, he's using a backpack for his 300 and gear.
Might be something to consider. I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than the options I listed.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 04, 2011 23:46 |  #7

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #12349983 (external link)
Thanks Jay. As usual, your replies are very helpful.
I looked at the Domke vest, and I can see how it can carry lots of stuff.
Might have to get one myself.

But do you have any opinion on the Pelican case on wheels? Or the Cotten carrier? Maybe you or your friends have used these? Seems to me that these offer a better alternative to carrying gear with shoulder straps or bags. Just thinking out loud.

A bag on wheels is the ideal solution provided the show will let them in and the terrain is hospitable.

Some shows deny bags and many are gravel or grass where wheels are problematical. A pelican would be great because you could stand on it if you wanted to! :D

ETA: I've also seen people bungee cord a milk crate to a folding hand cart and drag their stuff around that way.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 05, 2011 04:49 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #8

I carry all my gear in a Lowepro CompuTrekker. Would love to have a modular system to carry my gear - preferably Lowepro's Street & Field system :D.

A modular system is, in my opinion at least, the most comfortable way to go. Also, you have much easier/faster access to your gear.

PhotosGuy
75,852 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 05, 2011 08:28 |  #9

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #12350044 (external link)
Thanks, Mr. Moderator.

On your link, post 3667, he's using a backpack for his 300 and gear.
Might be something to consider. I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than the options I listed.

IF I was shooting for someone else & being paid, I might use that option. I don't because,...
1. If I can't get the shot I need with 17 to 400mm in a waist belt, then I'm probably not going to get it with a backpack or cart, either.

2. Ain't gonna' wear a backpack in 100-degree heat!

3. Waistpacks put the weight on my hips where I want it.

4. And if I was being paid, & needed to carry around a backpack & maybe a 600mm, then that extra junk would go on my assistants back. :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 31, 2012 15:21 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #10

Here's a new product from Tamrac: Super Telephoto Lens Pack, model 5793.
It carries a super telephoto up to 600mm with camera attached.

Might be good when I get my 500.

http://tamrac.com/welc​ome.htm (external link)

lilredss
73 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 31, 2012 21:07 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #11

I use 2 cameras at air shows. A 7D with a 100-400 on it and a 40D with a 17-55 for static displays. I am currently using the dual BlackRapid system along with a very small bag with batteries, extra memory cards, pen, paper, candy bars, ect. I am looking for something better as I don't really care for the Blackrapid dual setup. The cameras swing back and forth to much.
Bob

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 31, 2012 21:11 |  #12

lilredss wrote in post #14188617 (external link)
I use 2 cameras at air shows. A 7D with a 100-400 on it and a 40D with a 17-55 for static displays. I am currently using the dual BlackRapid system along with a very small bag with batteries, extra memory cards, pen, paper, candy bars, ect. I am looking for something better as I don't really care for the Blackrapid dual setup. The cameras swing back and forth to much.
Bob

I never used a Blackrapid, but it does seem like the back & forth swing might be a problem (at least for me).

I might give the cotton carrier a try, for my 7D/300 f2.8 combo.

jwol
813 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 02, 2012 11:10 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #13

I carry two cameras. I use a Cotton Carrier vest and a Think Tank Speed Belt with two or three bags on it for all the little stuff. Guess I sport the total nerd look. Oh, when I eat or drink, I'll take the camera off the vest mount and let it hang on the leash off to one side. No chili and cheese that way.

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

rammsteinmatt
260 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 02, 2012 22:01 |  #14

Sometimes I literally am running out the door to go shooting, I occasionally dont have time to think about what gear to bring so I plan on having my bases covered.

Tamrac Expedition 7
D7000
D80 + grip as backup
200-400 f/4
70-200 f/2.8
17-55 f/2.8
SB600 flash
CPL, thin UV, 2 stop ND
cards
lens cloth
sun screen/hat/neck bandana/advil/kleenex
sometimes hook a monopod to the outside (if im planning to shoot a ton of static props, i find 1/60 at 400mm with a 7lb lens handheld doesn't tend to give the sharpest shots)
and usually keep a small ziploc bag of raw almonds in case i get hungry - i can usually go 5 hours without food and water
the Expedition 7 has a laptop pouch which makes things much easier on long trips (Reno) not needing to carry a separate laptop case to watch after, and usually holds a pad of paper with two pens for general notes. Adding the laptop makes the backpack even heavier.

In SoCal it gets hot in the summer, i get really sweaty wearing long sleeves and a back pack - life is tough, i can shower when i get home. Also, the backpack is extremely heavy - like 35lbs - and is quite burdensome to wear for more than 3 hours; it sits on the ground a lot and serves as an intermediate place to rest the 200-400 so i dont have to bend all the way to the ground to pick it back up. the backpack is also quite large; i went through the crew door of a Connie literally on my knees and slightly sideways to fit.

This setup is definitely not for everyone, I'll say that right now - actually it's not for the vast majority. Other than it being a little on the costly side... I road bike 100-200 miles per week and weight lift to make life easier - not even joking - but i can run more than half a mile through the dirt with the pack on before stopping to walk (it's way harder than it sounds). Carrying 3 lenses and 2 bodies in a back pack and always being ready for whatever life throws at you is well worth the burden of my system.

If you're thinking of something like this, over the last 2 years running this system I could probably get away with two D7000's (I happen to like that body) with a 14-24 and 200-400. I rarely use my 70-200, i've maybe used it once in the last year to shoot airplanes - and it feels like such a toy when i do use it. although when you're limited to 200mm on the wide end, you get really creative with compositions - it's interesting some times

hopefully the above is helpful

The Shinny
Now with more elements in more groups!
Flickr (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,427 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 02, 2012 22:56 |  #15

rammsteinmatt wrote in post #14200061 (external link)
sun screen/hat/neck bandana/advil/kleenex
and usually keep a small ziploc bag of raw almonds in case i get hungry - i can usually go 5 hours without food and water.

Yup, those non-photography items are important, too.
I wear cargo-pants for the extra carrying capacity, and a wide-brim life-guard type straw hat. And plenty of sun screen lotion since I'm from So Cal also.

At air shows I tend to pig-out at the vendor food stands. Burgers, hot dogs, ribs, roast beef, pizza, beer...most is bad for me but very tasty!

sponsored links

6,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airshow shooters, how do you carry your gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.