Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 07 Oct 2005 (Friday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Violin virtuoso Shlomo Mintz

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 07, 2005 18:17 |  #1

October 7 2005 11:00 am
The highly regarded violin virtuoso Shlomo Mintz with his instrument, a Guarnieri del Gesù, almost as famous as himself in the last rehearsal for this night concert in Quito.

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit/varios/onthenet/ShlomoMintz4444_thumb.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://sites.google.co​m …henet/ShlomoMin​tz4444.jpg  (external link)
Click the image to see it bigger (external link)

He will perform the Johannes Brahms concerto in D major opus 77 for violin and orchestra with our National Symphony Orchestra directed by Álvaro Manzano.
It is an extraordinary event for a relatively small city as Quito and a curious note for the people interested in classical music.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 08, 2005 00:52 |  #2

An interesting image from an interesting angle of interesting things!

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

PetKal
Cream of the Crop
11,141 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 12, 2005 20:05 as a reply to  @ DwightMcCann's post |  #3

An interesting shot and a sort of a document as well;

However, there is one not insignificant omission in it. Classical violinists make music with their bow hand, the left hand is just for stopping notes. One thus must not blur the bow hand....blur everything else but the bow hand, even in "presto" spiccato passages and such.

May be it's the exposure, maybe it is the darn Photoshop, but that violin colouring does not resemble the Del Gesu (style) varnish. Then again, it might not have been a Del Gesu.

Your apparent appreciation of fine music should be a reliable guide for these kind of shots.

Potenza-Walore-Prestigio

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 12, 2005 21:23 |  #4

I like the bow hand blurred! To suggest this as a rule is like suggesting that the ball in football should never blur, even during a header or pass ... an interesting opinion but hardly a rule! With most classical musicians I find the facial expressions to be much more essential ... it is as though you can see into their souls. As for the color temperature, I don't think this is a "product" image ... the lighting may well have been warm. Sorry to be so contrary, Petkal, but other than being too small for my eyes I find this image very appealing.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

PetKal
Cream of the Crop
11,141 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 12, 2005 23:27 as a reply to  @ DwightMcCann's post |  #5

Well Dwight, I guess I must have spent much more time learning to play the fiddle then playing with cameras......so to an amateur fiddler and a violin affecionado in me it is in the hand which holds the bow where the soul of violin music making is. Facial expressions, while often "entertaining", are seldom important and in fact often get in the way (in front) of the music.

This is not the place to discuss the subject too much, but when you get a chance take a look at facial expressions of perhaps the greates violinist ever, Heifetz. On all the photos of Heifetz fiddling I have seen, there is only one expression which is totally "expressionless".

As an example, if I had to watch Yo Yo Ma 's grimmaces while playing his cello, my enjoyment of his huge artistry would be severely diminished.

The Strad Magazine (UK) usually carries sensational photos of players in performance as well as instruments themselves.

Potenza-Walore-Prestigio

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 13, 2005 14:44 |  #6

Thank you for your comments.
I like all kinds of music, but I am far from being an expert.
As I said, it was a rehearsal; the light was flat, yellowish (2800°K) and dim. I shot my Pro1 at ISO 400 1/60 sec. f 3.5 and it was still 1 f stop underexposed. I kept my 420EX flash off to not disturb the performers.

I got the blurred hand because of the shutter speed, but I liked it. I have other pictures with a non blurred hand at either side of the bow swing.

The official program of the theater confirms that the violin was a Guarneri del Gesù owned by Mr. Mintz. My pictures do not show well neither the sides nor the back of the violin, but we saw the stripped wood of the sides, the v shaped textures of the back and the lighter color below the left hand that, as I read, are characteristics if this famous violins.

If it is of some help, you can see here the same picture (external link) and another picture (external link) with different white balance and slightly corrected exposure.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 13, 2005 15:56 |  #7

Great pic, rpol! I find it interesting that you were able to shoot this in close proximity. Did you shoot from the wings of the theater, or was this a more intimate room?

Petkal, I would love to see Yo Yo Ma live - his grimaces included. For me it adds a new dimension to the music, in a positive way. Seeing them concentrate and strain just adds to my appreciation. Of course, I'd rather watch Ofra Harnoy work the cello instead of Ma :)

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

T.O.
POTN People/Portrait Photographer 2006
376 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 14, 2005 06:00 |  #8

Nice capture. I don't see the right hand as a problem here, although Petkal's comments are interesting. But since flash was not an option it is very well done already, you have a steady hand...
thanx for sharing,
T.O.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 14, 2005 18:13 |  #9

Thank you T.O.
I think the worst thing in the pictures was the level of noise, but it is the price of using ISO 400 and low light. I am glad that all the posts around this pictures are interesting.

BottomBracket
The Orchestra was in the main stage (escenario) and I had access to palco #13 and palco #15 at left near the stage if you want to check the seat assignments plan (external link) of our National Theater.
It is a small Theater. With the Zoom at 200mm and some cropping I got enough proximity.

rafael

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2010 10:56 |  #10

I see nothing wrong with the blurred hand. It adds drama to the shot, especially with the face sharp.

mark

txduggan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 04, 2010 17:02 |  #11

It took you 5 years to come up with that?

-Tom D <-- ducking and hiding.....

Gear: Yes - Rides quads really slow - Likes shiny things...
Wings of Love Photography (external link)
Wings of Love FaceBook Page (external link)
Tom Duggan Photography (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 04, 2010 20:14 |  #12

I'm a deep thinker. :lol:

tfd888
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2010 03:51 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #13

Holy batman thread resurrection :lol:

I don't mind the blurred hand either and prefer the original version to the second version he posted. In the first version you can see all the details of the sheet music and just the feel of the image is better for me. In the second version the sheet music is blown out and with the color correction, it loses some of the feeling IMO.

Alexander R.O.
1D-Mark III ~1D-Mark II ~ 60D ~ 20D (Gripped)
(70-200mm L 2.8 IS) ~ (17-40mm L 4.0) (Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro RIP) ~ (50mm 1.8 MKII) ~ (Alpex 35mm f/2.8 M42 mount) ~ (430EX II) ~ (Yongnuo YN-560 III)
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link)
- My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,807 views & 0 likes for this thread
Violin virtuoso Shlomo Mintz
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.