Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 May 2011 (Thursday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop 12 (CS5) - general ignorance, but especially with Content Aware

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 05, 2011 23:43 |  #1

I'm new to this, and am really struggling. I have a particular picture

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i219.photobucke​t.com …0/peterbj7/IMG_​6521sm.jpg (external link)

that I'm trying to improve, and I'm really making a meal of it.

What I want to do is remove the post and all associated things. I've worked out how to select the bits I want to remove, and that's no problem. But when I try to use Content Aware to replace the bits I don't want the system chooses to introduce a background that I don't want rather than just on the background, based partly on the girl. This is especially noticeable when I try to change the bits of post in front of her.

How do I get Content Aware to interpolate its new background from what actually is the background in the picture? I'm guessing that perhaps I should add a new layer, then in that layer remove the girl completely, THEN (still in that layer) perform a Content Aware deletion on the post/ribbon/shadow, THEN add back the girl. Am I getting close? Not that I really know how to do that either.....

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

sponsored links
Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 05, 2011 23:45 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

clone tool.

peterbj7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 05, 2011 23:48 |  #3

That sounds like very hard work, and is what I would have had to do with my previous PS. But I'm sure CS5 has more useful tricks up its sleeve, I just don't know what they are or how to use them.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 05, 2011 23:54 |  #4

AFAIK, you can't tell content aware "only draw from the sand to the left of the pole.". It's going to want to draw from the red leash and the green costume every bit as much as it will from the sand unless you zoom way in and very carefully cut out the pole along with some sand and promote it to a new layer so that it can't "see" the other colors that could contaminate your selection.

You're not going to avoid having to use the clone tool though...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 06, 2011 00:45 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

peterbj7 wrote in post #12356712 (external link)
That sounds like very hard work, and is what I would have had to do with my previous PS. But I'm sure CS5 has more useful tricks up its sleeve, I just don't know what they are or how to use them.

Nothing worth doing is easy my friend. ;)

mridley
183 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 06, 2011 04:11 as a reply to  @ Gameface's post |  #6

Send me the high res version and i'll do it for ya,

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 06, 2011 09:33 |  #7

mridley wrote in post #12357595 (external link)
Send me the high res version and i'll do it for ya,

Don't forget the hard part - bottom of the pole. ;)

Content Aware can be great or it can suck. It just depends where you're using it. Most of the time you still have to do some cleanup or blending of the area. Sometimes you can get a better result by undoing and letting it try again. Make sure that your selection is not feathered.

You're going to need to use the clone tool for the bottom of the pole imo. It should work pretty good on the top of the pole, ribbon, & shadow. I'd stop my selection just short of the dog so it didn't try to pick up bits from him, then use the clone stamp to finish for a nice edge. For the bottom of the pole I'd think the clone stamp only.

FlyingPhotog wrote:
You're not going to avoid having to use the clone tool though...

Gameface wrote:
Nothing worth doing is easy my friend. :wink:

Exactly.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

mridley
183 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 06, 2011 09:55 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #8

Easily fixed :oops: I know it's only a quick job but even on the high res version i won't take more than 10 minutes

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

peterbj7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2011 11:01 |  #9

That's great, but can you tell me exactly how you did it? That's the purpose of this question - to find how to do it, not just have somebody do it for me.

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 06, 2011 11:10 |  #10

Duplicate layer, clone the entire pole and most of the girl out taking care to vary your source so it doesn't look fake, then use healing brush to blend little areas that look a bit off.

Then mask the layer and then use the brush tool to brush the girl back in.

Content Aware is not perfect, and for a picture this small with a small pole and such varied foreground/background close by, it will make mistakes. If you really want to use only content aware, you'd have to select small parts of the pole at a time and then hope content aware will sample correctly. Like others have said, the clone tool would probably be a lot faster and you'd have more control.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

peterbj7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2011 11:36 |  #11

Without examining what you did very closely, it looks pretty good to me! If I can just replicate that I shall be well pleased for the moment.

mridley
183 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 06, 2011 11:43 as a reply to  @ peterbj7's post |  #12

All i did was duplicate the layer then just clone the pole etc out.

peterbj7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2011 11:54 |  #13

Sounds easy when you know what you're doing.....

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 06, 2011 12:16 |  #14

There are some good video tutorials covering content aware fill and healing at Adobe TV.

http://tv.adobe.com …ware-filling-and-healing/ (external link)

http://tv.adobe.com …ontent-aware-fill-part-1/ (external link)
http://tv.adobe.com …ontent-aware-fill-part-2/ (external link)

http://tv.adobe.com …e-tour/contentaware-fill/ (external link)

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 06, 2011 12:21 as a reply to  @ peterbj7's post |  #15

Here are the selections I used for Content Aware on the top post, ribbon, and shadow. 2 minutes work maybe. Much quicker and faster than trying to use the clone tool on that big of an area. From here, get out the clone tool. Need to do a little blending in the water and part of the sky to even out. Rest of it shouldn't take too long.

Cloning takes practice. I use a low flow brush to build it up slow and sample from slightly different areas often. Watch for repeating patterns, especially cloning a large area. You can set the Blend mode of the brush to lighten/darken which will help on small areas as it will only affect the pixels that are lighter/darker from the sample point. Hope this helps a little.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

3,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop 12 (CS5) - general ignorance, but especially with Content Aware
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.