Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 11, 2011 10:56 |  #256

frankwite wrote in post #12389425 (external link)
I'm referring to what the OP asked in his/her post not title. Even in the title he/she doesn't ask for a definition of bokeh or did I misread it!!! :confused:

Any answers to the question in the title are worthless unless the OP and the person responding are using the same definition of the word bokeh and the OPs first post indicated that they were not using the same definition as the people responding.

Or would you prefer that I respond to the OP with "I agree completely. I really hate it when the sky is all gray and overcast?" If we're going to make up definitions for words as we go along then we might as well use bokeh to mean "cloudy, gray skies", right?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 11, 2011 11:06 |  #257

frankwite wrote in post #12389425 (external link)
I'm referring to what the OP asked in his/her post not title. Even in the title he/she doesn't ask for a definition of bokeh or did I misread it!!! :confused:

And what if the title were 'Large aperture: DOF or diffraction?', and the OP starts talking about the issue of 'deep DOF vs. diffraction at apertures like f/22' ...should we not correct the word 'large' to the proper 'small', with the explanation of why?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 12:55 |  #258

I think that good bokeh in this image makes it more appealing than if the background were to be in focus. Just my opinion however.

IMAGE: http://smorrowphoto.smugmug.com/Customerphotos/Cowboys/i-MV946gT/1/M/IMG9142-M.jpg

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2011 13:28 as a reply to  @ DM1975's post |  #259

Man, we have reached the point where someone has to try to give examples of how effective use of selective focus is a genuinely useful photographic technique with profound effects on the aesthetics of a photograph? Really? :rolleyes:

The answer to the OP's question is, "likely you are one of the very few." The only thing that might be added, for educational value, is that for generations, photographers have understood the value of selective focus (which is what the thread is about, but very weak understanding of photographic terms tends to obscure the meaning). If the OP, or any others with various, and obvious in at least one case, levels of inexperience want to suggest that selective focus is not what they like for some reason, then don't use it.

What else is there to say?

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2011 13:32 |  #260

rral22 wrote in post #12390351 (external link)
Man, we have reached the point where someone has to try to give examples of how effective use of selective focus is a genuinely useful photographic technique with profound effects on the aesthetics of a photograph? Really? :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?????? This is a freaking photography website, and it is a discussion forum. Maybe ALL answers should meerly be yes and no, that way no one can benifit from anything at all. God, this has gotten stupid.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 21:00 |  #261
bannedPermanent ban

I like to say thank you to the members who have given me some good advice and suggestions with DOF now I will read and learn.

Thanks too.

jj_glos, Krb, alpga_1976, yogestce, TeamSpeed.

Also Pete, and Jon mods for keeping this thread inline.

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,185 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 11, 2011 21:13 |  #262

Come back and tell us what you learn and what you like or don't like. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 11, 2011 21:14 |  #263

rral22 wrote in post #12390351 (external link)

For me, the jury is still out if your are being serious or just showing some sarcasm?

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 21:21 |  #264
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12392846 (external link)
Come back and tell us what you learn and what you like or don't like. :)

At the weekend I will take more pictures and use the info given to me on what I like and don't I also will also post some pictures here for suggestions.

thanks again:D

Gear List

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 12, 2011 00:10 |  #265

It depends.

Another website had a demo of different DOF photos with the background totally blurry to totally in focus (and everything in between) - it was a great photo so all the shots looked great... ;)

Different Bokeh's for different Folka's... :D

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 12, 2011 11:48 |  #266

yogestee wrote in post #12392852 (external link)
For me, the jury is still out if your are being serious or just showing some sarcasm?

Sarcasm. But serious too.

I really don't think there is anything to be gained in trying to show someone some perfectly good examples like DM1975's rider which is a great shot showing the ability of selective focus to control the "message" if the picture. If the power of the out of focus part of photography isn't obvious to the OP, or any others who dislike "Bokeh" (as it was misused at the start) a thousand more won't do it.

I guess I was "inspired" by the obvious elephant-in-the-forum that some on this thread are very poor at taking good advice, far less experienced than admitted, and are lying about stuff. Ironically (leading to sarcasm perhaps) much genuine effort was made by more patient forum members than I.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,185 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 12, 2011 12:27 |  #267

Eventually, after many years in my case, you find that it takes up much less time to just try to help out then egg on a bad or misconstrued attitude.

Then again, every once in a while, I forget that experience and revert. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

23,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I the only one that does not like Bokeh?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.