Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 May 2011 (Saturday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PSE 9 & RAW conversion, won't do it??

cobra671
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 13:41 |  #1

Hello all,

Maybe someone can help me out on this. I've watched all the tutorials I could and still come up empty.

I just got PSE9 and the issue I'm having is importing RAW files into the organizer for editing. Every time I try, it tells me that the format is not recognized. My work around has been to convert in DPP and then use PSE9 to import as jpeg and edit.

What I'd like to do is export from the card reader to the organizer in RAW and do what I want from there, like a one-stop shop, so to speak. But alas, that doesn't work out that way.

I've gone into the "Help" tab in the editor and tried the update, but it says I'm good to go, so what gives??? I'm stumped and bummed about this. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2011 13:50 |  #2

Update ACR - Elements - PC (external link) or Elements - Mac (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 14:03 |  #3

Thanks DT, but I just tried it and it said "updates not applicable".

Any other clues?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2011 14:06 as a reply to  @ cobra671's post |  #4

You may have to click the link depending on pc/mac and manually install it. Make sure you follow the directions carefully. For some reason going to Help/Updates doesn't always seem to work for CS5, so assume PSE may be same.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 14:12 |  #5

Yep, tried it both ways, same results. I'll keep searching.

Thanks anyway.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2011 14:19 |  #6

cobra671 wrote in post #12365602 (external link)
Yep, tried it both ways, same results. I'll keep searching.

Thanks anyway.

Did you click the link, download the update, and install it per the instructions? Your version of ACR must be 6.2 or higher for the 60D.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2011 14:47 |  #7

cobra671 wrote in post #12365483 (external link)
Hello all,

I just got PSE9 and the issue I'm having is importing RAW files into the organizer for editing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PSE9 should have the latest version of ACR. What version do you have? Just open the editor not the organizer and click on a RAW file and it should open in ACR

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 14:59 |  #8

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall PSE 9 and see if that works.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2011 15:36 |  #9

I'm not using Elements and I don't have a 60D or T1i, so aside from the need to have the latest version of Camera Raw I can't be of specific help. Does this happen with both of your cameras or just with the newer 60D?

Have you verified that your version of Camera Raw is in fact the latest? Open one of your T1i files from the organizer and you can check the version.

If you still can't get any mileage, I'd check into the Elememts User Forum and see if they can be of help:

http://forums.adobe.co​m/community/photoshop_​elements (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 15:49 |  #10

Well, I did the reinstall and this is what I can tell you, the PSE9 version I have is 9.0 via help and "About Photoshop Elements" tab. The ACR is 6.1 and the T1i files open up fine, however, the 60D files aren't. I've gone into the "editor" help tab and checked for updates, but it tells me that it is up to date.

I'll try the ACR 6.4 update manually again. Stand by......

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2011 15:58 |  #11

Yeah, do the manual update and be sure you follow the right instructions for Elements 9. There have been some whacky differences between different versions of Elements as well as PS and how the placement of those Plug-in files gets handled, if I recall correctly.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 16:08 |  #12

Okay, so the T1i files open just fine in ACR but when trying to update to ACR 6.4, I still get the message that the update is not applicable for the 60D files when going through the editor help tab or trying it manually.

For the record, I've updated PSE 9 to the latest version too, which is 9.0.3

This is getting ridiculous. :(

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 16:09 |  #13

Earlier version of ACR perhaps? Just pulling straws at this point..

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2011 16:16 |  #14

cobra671 wrote in post #12366060 (external link)
Well, I did the reinstall and this is what I can tell you, the PSE9 version I have is 9.0 via help and "About Photoshop Elements" tab. The ACR is 6.1

Focus instead on the ACR version. As stated ACR version 6.2 or higher supports 60D files

cobra671
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 07, 2011 16:38 |  #15

I guess my case was completely different. I've managed to get my 60D files opened by using ACR 6.2, which is suggested for PSE 8.

I've tried every method suggested here on this thread and none of it worked for me, I don't know why, but it didn't. I've done the help method in editor countless times with the same message, even after installing the ACR 6.2 version manually. I guess I'll do ACR 6.3 and 6.4 manually as well. I'm kind of skeptical though, because I'd really hate to have it go nuts on me again. :)

Thanks for all the help fella's!

sponsored links

2,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
PSE 9 & RAW conversion, won't do it??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.