Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 07 May 2011 (Saturday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Floridiots

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 04, 2011 12:02 |  #31

j-dogg wrote in post #12367692 (external link)
Any of us here? West Melbourne present and accounted for. I shoot everything and know where a lot of Florida ghost towns are.

Palm Bay here..Howdy neighbor!
I would definitely be up for some ghost town sight seeing/shooting! :D

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

sponsored links
j-dogg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 04, 2011 23:32 as a reply to  @ HyperCams's post |  #32

HORY SHET I grew up in Palm Bay/Ghey. you shoot with them kids out at the compound with the drift cars?

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Jul 05, 2011 05:03 |  #33

Split residence between Milton keynes (UK) and Melbourne (FL)

Regards

Martin

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2011 22:27 |  #34

HORY SHET I grew up in Palm Bay/Ghey. you shoot with them kids out at the compound with the drift cars?

Actually, I have not! I have been looking for some things to get me out and back into shooting.I have been working lke crazy lately, and going to school full time for the last two years...
but thngs are slowing down, so looking forward to gettting back out there..back on the horse

Split residence between Milton keynes (UK) and Melbourne (FL)

Martin, that sounds lke a very nice arrangement!! Of course, I would suggest FL for the winters, and the UK for the summers.lol

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

shelbyrad
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 18, 2011 03:34 |  #35

Orlando, FL here. I moved back here last Fall and I haven't done much traveling since. I could tell you some great places in Milwaukee, but not here. I'm definitely up for any suggestions.

Flickr (external link)

aspnerd
92 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 21, 2011 13:02 |  #36

Jacksonville Florida here...

Canon | 7D + Grip | 30D + grip | 16-35mm f/2.8L USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro USM II
http://www.jefftaylorp​hotography.com (external link) - http://facebook.com.co​m/jefftaylorphotograph​y (external link)

irukandji112
83 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2011 22:01 |  #37

Gainesville (UF) & Marco Island for me. Glad to see so many Floridians on potn

7D | BG-E7| 10-22 | nifty | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 2xIII | Induro AT313 | Induro BHL3 | Timbuk2 Snoop  (external link)

xoiceox
920 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 26, 2011 12:32 |  #38

Fort lauderdale / Miami here ;)

Flickr (external link) Nikon D7000. Nikon 35mm 1.8. Nikon 18-55mm. Sigma 70-300mm. Nikon sb600. Ab 800 w/ Medium Octabox. Vagabond II. Flickr (external link)

Dasweb
101 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 26, 2011 14:23 as a reply to  @ xoiceox's post |  #39

Figured I might as well make this my first post.

Winter Park here.

7D Gripped | 50mm F/1.4 | 135mm L | 70-200mm F/2.8 |

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 26, 2011 14:27 |  #40

Dasweb wrote in post #12826493 (external link)
Figured I might as well make this my first post.

Winter Park here.

ha ha, me too:)
Welcome to PONT and have fun.

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

Dasweb
101 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 02, 2011 11:53 |  #41

keyframe14 wrote in post #12826528 (external link)
ha ha, me too:)
Welcome to PONT and have fun.

Thanks!

I'm surprised at the lack of Orlando people here!

Phil_R
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 02, 2011 13:28 as a reply to  @ Dasweb's post |  #42

Live Oak, Suwannee Co. checking in...

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 02, 2011 17:31 |  #43

Hi Floridiots :D

Can I pick your brains???

My other half broke her ankle a few weeks back and will be out of the cast in the next 2 weeks, then physio work on it. Please bear with me as the reason I outline that background is that our holiday plans have been on hold until we know how mobile she will be and really want to get away for a couple of weeks around September/October time. Now the questions?

We thought maybe Florida but have the following need for info:-
1) What sort of temps & humidity can we expect and indeed how much if any rain?
2) Target places to visit NASA space centre & the Everglades? How visitor friendly would both locations be for someone who may still be using a stick or crutch to help her walk? In the case of NASA do they offer say golf buggies for getting place to place and in the Everglades, what about safari type excursions......???
3) With those 2 key areas in mind and also a real need for chillout time at the hotel(s) can you recommend any hotels that have good facilties and pleasant setting i.e. nice grounds with good views from the public areas???

Can only think of those questions at the moment...............s​o any added insight to offer would be welcome as well. FWIW our initial plan this year was fly/drive in western Canada but that in the current circumstances would likely be way too wearing for her :(

TIA for the feedback :D

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Dasweb
101 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 03, 2011 12:41 |  #44

Box Brownie wrote in post #12865693 (external link)
Hi Floridiots :D

Can I pick your brains???

My other half broke her ankle a few weeks back and will be out of the cast in the next 2 weeks, then physio work on it. Please bear with me as the reason I outline that background is that our holiday plans have been on hold until we know how mobile she will be and really want to get away for a couple of weeks around September/October time. Now the questions?

We thought maybe Florida but have the following need for info:-
1) What sort of temps & humidity can we expect and indeed how much if any rain?
2) Target places to visit NASA space centre & the Everglades? How visitor friendly would both locations be for someone who may still be using a stick or crutch to help her walk? In the case of NASA do they offer say golf buggies for getting place to place and in the Everglades, what about safari type excursions......???
3) With those 2 key areas in mind and also a real need for chillout time at the hotel(s) can you recommend any hotels that have good facilties and pleasant setting i.e. nice grounds with good views from the public areas???

Can only think of those questions at the moment...............s​o any added insight to offer would be welcome as well. FWIW our initial plan this year was fly/drive in western Canada but that in the current circumstances would likely be way too wearing for her :(

TIA for the feedback :D

1). I'd come in October, by then the heat will be dying down "a bit". The humidity is still high, although in Florida it's quite higher year round. As for the rain, our summer showers will have mostly stopped, but with the hurricane season still active you never know what will happen.

2). NASA would be mostly okay with a wheel chair/crutch/ etc, as most of the locations provide transport to the next location. They also have IMAX movies about NASA/Space.
Personally, I wouldn't attempt the Everglades if I was in a disabled state, a lot of the in depth tours are rough (Unless you find a guided auto tour).

There's a lot more to Florida than most people think, if you come to Orlando we have quite a few attractions. You can always get amazing shots at Leu Gardens, and since it's a open/your own pace type of place it would be fine for your wife. Winter Park offers half day boat rides to take a tour of the history part, as well a look into the Cornell (external link). Near by is Park Ave, with a few low key "chill" places to have a bite to eat/drink/shop. Also near by is the Polasek (external link) which is a small museum and sculpture garden. The Boat tour, Cornell, and the Polasek are all in a 1-2km of each other. Not too far of a drive from there is the Enzian, which plays mostly indie films or older films. Most certainly a place to checkout if you're into those!

Downtown Orlando never has excited me, so I cannot go into too much detail. I only visit Downtown for two reason, the Bob Carr, or Jury duty.

I'm sure you know all about International drive, The theme parks, and the other tourist traps, so I won't waste your time with that :P.

3). This really depends on how much you're looking to spend, and which location you'd like to stay around. If you're looking for $$$, I'd stay at the Peabody, Waldorf, or the Ritz-Carlton (These are closer to the Disney area). As for the Winter Park area the nicest hotel would be the Park Plaza, it's located on Park Ave and is very vintage.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Lucretius
273 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 03, 2011 13:36 |  #45

1) It will probably be humid and/or rainy.
2)NASA would be fine, Everglades would not.
3) There are amazing hotels everywhere!

If you have extra free time there are a bunch of lesser known great attractions in the area. Gatorland is fun and affordable. Here is a link to a set of photos I took there: http://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157623​738810028/ (external link) . Decent amount of things to do. Here is a link to a site that has some smaller attractions: http://www.weirdus.com​/states/florida/index.​php (external link).

Flickr (external link) Razzi (external link)- “Half of photography is being in the right place at the right time... and the other half, you tell me when you figure it out..." - Unknown

sponsored links

6,824 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Floridiots
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.