Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 May 2011 (Sunday) 07:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting them to relax!!!!?

weimoo
90 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 08, 2011 07:43 |  #1

Hi wedding greats and couple greats..

can anyone share any tips on how they get their couple to relax in shoots? I'm not a big on posing photos and cheesy and would rather a more candid type portraits for couples.

These are the photos I would like to achieve..
http://www.jenslotphot​ography.com/blog/?p=41​9 (external link)

I'm finding that most of my couples look awkward.. I try to only use a zoom so I can given them as much space as possible. I also tend to 'fiddle' with my camera to get them to relax. Still I seem to somehow capture them to look awkward..

Would the above shots be 'posed'?

thanks for any input..

Canon 7D & 450D | Canon 24-70 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8, 430ex II
Kit lenses, Kenko tubes and some sorta tripod
wish list: 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm macro

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

May 08, 2011 08:07 |  #2

If you are going to charge people for your work, you need to learn how to connect and pose your subjects. There are many good books and articles out there. There is also a sticky at the top of the page that has some good information.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 08, 2011 11:34 |  #3

Those shots are not as much "posed" as they are "directed". And "fiddling with your camera to get them relaxed" will have the opposite effect! That will make them more nervous, not less. The photographer's personality and confidence is what is more likely to pay off in terms of having relaxed subjects.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2011 13:34 |  #4

How you relate to people is everything in getting them to relax.

A recent wedding my wife and I shot, we arrived at the brides dressing room where she, her bridesmaids and here parents were getting ready. I told her she looked so beautiful and that she made a beatuiful bride. She was so greatful that we had arrived. There had been quite a bit of tension with her parents there. It really helped her relax.

Posing is more about relating to people and less about posing.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 08, 2011 13:38 |  #5

weimoo wrote in post #12369336 (external link)
Hi wedding greats and couple greats..

can anyone share any tips on how they get their couple to relax in shoots? I'm not a big on posing photos and cheesy and would rather a more candid type portraits for couples.

These are the photos I would like to achieve..
http://www.jenslotphot​ography.com/blog/?p=41​9 (external link)

I'm finding that most of my couples look awkward.. I try to only use a zoom so I can given them as much space as possible. I also tend to 'fiddle' with my camera to get them to relax. Still I seem to somehow capture them to look awkward..

Would the above shots be 'posed'?

thanks for any input..

People don't know what to do with themselves in front of a camera without direction. Even models and actors need to be told what to do. You don't need to arrange limbs, but you can bet your last dollar that those storybook photos don't happen naturally.

In short - lower the camera and interact with them. You do need a personality for this though. If you're shy you'll need to get over it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 09, 2011 14:21 |  #6

I think you'll find this very helpful. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=476788

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 09, 2011 20:17 |  #7

It's more about how you interact with people. I have fun, I joke around, it really depends on the couple. Talk about them, not yourself. Fiddling with your camera will have them lose confidence in you, make them less comfortable.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2011 08:05 |  #8

weimoo wrote in post #12369336 (external link)
can anyone share any tips on how they get their couple to relax in shoots?

alcohol?

:cool:

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

weimoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 11, 2011 05:25 |  #9

Thanks so much for the tips!! and thanks for the link to that thread! I have read it through a couple of times now... I think I'm going to have to start a little diary of the shots I like and how they are achieved!

thanks.. :D

Canon 7D & 450D | Canon 24-70 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8, 430ex II
Kit lenses, Kenko tubes and some sorta tripod
wish list: 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm macro

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 11, 2011 08:20 as a reply to  @ weimoo's post |  #10

Lots of good advice here. As others have said, the key is your interaction with the couple. We like to ask questions that help us really get to know a couple -- their likes, dislikes, quirks, what makes them laugh, etc. People like to talk about themselves, so if you show a genuine interest you will have no trouble maintaining conversation.

In addition to what others have said, one thing we have found to be helpful is to provide visuals to help the clients understand what we are looking for. Couple examples:

1. Sometimes my wife and I will stand together and "pose" to show the couple what we want to see.
  2. Occasionally we will show the couple a preview on the back of our camera so they can see for themselves what they look like. Good pictures will boost their confidence, and if they are doing something we don't like, it's easy to point out.
  3. Describe a scenario to them to help them visualize what you are after. Let's say you want a focused, powerful look from a client -- Just tell them to imagine they are doing a shoot for a magazine cologne/perfume ad. Usually they'll know what those ads look like and will instinctively look at the camera with some intensity in their eyes. They relax because they know what you want, and by telling them a situation it helps some clients to know what you are after without having to describe the exact details.

We have come across some clients who have a hard time relaxing in front of the camera regardless, so there is no magic formula that works every time. Sometimes it just comes natural for clients and sometimes we have to put in extra effort to make a connection and build enough trust in the relationship to where they will let their guard down and relax.

Keep working at it and you should start to see improvement over time.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

cristphoto
966 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 11, 2011 11:05 |  #11

It takes practice. What I do is have a nice relaxed conversation with my clients prior to a shoot. You need to obtain their confidence in you. This is important as stiff subjects make for bad images. As to posing, I simply place them in position and offer CLEAR instructions of what I need. Part of my pre-shoot conversation is demonstrating the difference between head tilt and head turn for example. Keep a smile on your face so your subjects will tend to nave a natural smile too. And then while I'm shooting I mimic the instruction I'm giving. The best thing to demonstrate is voice tone and the photographers attitude. You need to be clearly in control but in a relaxed manner. As the old saying states - "It's better to lead than boss."

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

sponsored links

2,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting them to relax!!!!?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.