Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2011 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 14:37 |  #286
bannedPermanent ban

ETTL isn't bad by any means, but it's not as good as Nikon's implementation...

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 17:06 |  #287

And how is the Nikon implementation better?

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2011 17:08 |  #288

How many more pages will be added to this thread of mindless repetition? I think some people get so wrapped up in the camera specs they seem to forget there is an art to photography that no bells or whistles can create, that is talent and ability to use whatever camera you have in your hands. Please forget the camera model and enjoy what you purchased it for

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 17:10 |  #289

aladyforty wrote in post #12428729 (external link)
How many more pages will be added to this thread of mindless repetition? I think some people get so wrapped up in the camera specs they seem to forget there is an art to photography that no bells or whistles can create, that is talent and ability to use whatever camera you have in your hands. Please forget the camera model and enjoy what you purchased it for

You just added to it so why not others?

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

May 17, 2011 18:20 |  #290

DM1975 wrote in post #12425412 (external link)
So what is wrong with the ETTL system on Canon cameras? What performance have they fallen behind in? Something other than anecdotal dribble please...

Nikon has used an in camera "command" module since 2006 and is much easier to set up and control while offering more flexibility;

http://www.nikonusa.co​m …o_WirelessSpeed​lights.pdf (external link)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

nightcat
Goldmember
4,526 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2011 18:23 |  #291

because it doesn't have the microadjustment feature.

dave ­ kadolph
6,138 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 17, 2011 18:26 |  #292

aladyforty wrote in post #12428729 (external link)

Seems like an odd comment coming from someone with a collection of bodies and "L" glass--if gear didn't matter we would all be shooting with P&S's. ;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 18, 2011 00:51 |  #293

dave kadolph wrote in post #12429175 (external link)
Nikon has used an in camera "command" module since 2006 and is much easier to set up and control while offering more flexibility;

http://www.nikonusa.co​m …o_WirelessSpeed​lights.pdf (external link)

I am fully aware of this, but other than being able to use your pop up flash, where does the ETTL fall short? I mainly only use ETTL on camera or tethered by a TTL cable anyways and it 100% effective for me. If I am off camera I know how to use manual flash settings and would rather do that anyways.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

May 18, 2011 03:59 |  #294

dave kadolph wrote in post #12429211 (external link)
Seems like an odd comment coming from someone with a collection of bodies and "L" glass--if gear didn't matter we would all be shooting with P&S's. ;)

Yep I will admit to being an Lcoholic:) it has taken years to save for them out of sales of my photography, but look at my cameras, nothing special compared to whats out there right now. I've actually started using the 40D more than the 50D and have passed the 100-400L to a family member for a bit. If someone has skill you can get just as good a shot out of a 30D as the latest 60D etc. its more about knowing how to use the camera to its best ability. I looked at the recent prize winning wikldlife shots touring our country on display and the cameras are mentioned. majority are the 30Ds, 40Ds and the equivilant Nikons cameras and a few film cameras thrown in for good measure, says something about what really matters I think

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 18, 2011 07:43 |  #295

aladyforty wrote in post #12432020 (external link)
Yep I will admit to being an Lcoholic:) it has taken years to save for them out of sales of my photography, but look at my cameras, nothing special compared to whats out there right now. I've actually started using the 40D more than the 50D and have passed the 100-400L to a family member for a bit. If someone has skill you can get just as good a shot out of a 30D as the latest 60D etc. its more about knowing how to use the camera to its best ability. I looked at the recent prize winning wikldlife shots touring our country on display and the cameras are mentioned. majority are the 30Ds, 40Ds and the equivilant Nikons cameras and a few film cameras thrown in for good measure, says something about what really matters I think

I checked out the Nat Geo Wildlife Photo of the year awards a year or so back - a *lot* of shots from people with 350D's and Nikon D70's. You are right, it says alot.

Z...

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 18, 2011 09:10 |  #296

dave kadolph wrote in post #12429175 (external link)

It's true that Nikon had such a system earlier than Canon, but the 7D in 2009, 60D in 2010, and T3i this year have the same ETTL wireless flash capabilities as Nikon now. For a Canon video on the 60D see:

http://learn.usa.canon​.com …era_tutorials_i​ndex.shtml (external link)

The wireless flash video is next to last, so you'll have to scroll through the earlier videos. In short, Canon permits wireless flash control with 580EX as master, ST-E2 as master, or pop-up flash as master on the 60D, 7D & T3i, all using ETTL. I believe that Canon and Nikon wireless flash systems are now pretty much equivalent in functionality. Obviously, radio units do permit control at much greater distances and outside without line of sight, but that is true for both Nikon and Canon.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

dave ­ kadolph
6,138 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 18, 2011 17:37 |  #297

HughR wrote in post #12432908 (external link)
It's true that Nikon had such a system earlier than Canon, but the 7D in 2009, 60D in 2010, and T3i this year have the same ETTL wireless flash capabilities as Nikon now. For a Canon video on the 60D see:

http://learn.usa.canon​.com …era_tutorials_i​ndex.shtml (external link)

The wireless flash video is next to last, so you'll have to scroll through the earlier videos. In short, Canon permits wireless flash control with 580EX as master, ST-E2 as master, or pop-up flash as master on the 60D, 7D & T3i, all using ETTL. I believe that Canon and Nikon wireless flash systems are now pretty much equivalent in functionality. Obviously, radio units do permit control at much greater distances and outside without line of sight, but that is true for both Nikon and Canon.

If you have had good luck with ETTL I'm happy for you, in my experience it was too easily fooled by lighting conditions and I didn't care for the way the results varied with the mode being used--I ended up just setting everything up in manual to get the results I needed.

A set of radio triggers and some cheap CraigsList flashes gives me much better results without the restrictions imposed by the Canon system--flashes can be positioned anywhere within a much longer range and not be bothered by the line of sight restriction--all for less $$$ than a single dedicated speedlight.

Tools of the trade

sponsored links

21,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.