Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2011 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2011 07:07 |  #76

Why did so many 50D owners hate the 60D when it came out? Because they were expecting the 60D to be a 7D with a lower price. When Canon released the 7D it was obviously designed as the upgrade step for 50D owners - a larger upgrade step than we were used to, but still the obvious upgrade.

But some 50D owners refused the 7D as on upgrade option. For them it was just too expensive. What they wanted were the same features, but at the same price as they'd paid for the 50D. So they waited, safe in their belief that a 60D would soon appear with all the goodies of the 7D.

Of course, that was never going to happen, as should have been obvious to anybody with an IQ greater than their shoe size. So when the 60D was released, at a price point that was sensible in the new Canon scheme, these people were most upset. So they went looking for things to complain about.

It soon became plain that unimportant things like image quality were better in the 60D, so that had to be ignored. Instead it was derided for only having 5.3 fps; for having an articulated LCD that would fall off after two days (like all those LCDs on video cameras have been doing for the last decade); for not having MA (when reading fora provides ample evidence that most people have no idea how to use it) and, finally and most risably, that it didn't have a magnesium alloy shell.

Apparently it's not the extra stregth of Mg-alloy that's important (although reading this thread has made me wonder just how strong it really is). No, it's the feel of it! The 60D is a terrible, useless pile of junk because it feels 'plasticky' as opposed to the lovely 'magnesiumy' feel of the 7D

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2011 07:10 |  #77

CanonEOS wrote in post #12381313 (external link)
people will come up to me thinking I am professional

Not when they see you trying to use the LCD they won't.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2011 07:32 |  #78

cputeq007 wrote in post #12381546 (external link)
You guys are going way too deep into the thought here. The title is why do some people think the 60D is not worth getting? Pretty easy really:

1) The Nikon D7000. It came out around the same time as the 60D and is a huge upgrade from the D90, which is what it was replacing. At least on paper, it had everything and the kitchen sink and had microadjustment.

2) Canon, meanwhile, removed MA from the 60D, "downgraded" the body to plastic, lowered the fps slightly and gave it a swivel screen. A lot of people see swivel screens as "dumbing down" of the camera (personally I love them), so that now the 60D is a glorified Rebel instead of a semi-pro model like the XXD line used to be. They refuse to accept the fact Canon is clearly distinguishing the XXD line from their baby 7D line.

Those reasons, folks, are why the 60D is seen by some as a disappointment. In and of itself, it's surely not a bad camera. But, look at the situations under which it was released (same time as D7000) and look at the things Canon did compared to the 50D line, and people see it as a camera that Canon dropped the ball on.

This is it. The Nikon comparison is really key. We wanted our D7000, and apparently didn't realize that we already had it in the 7D. As soon as Canon started trading off features with the 60D it was going to be compromised for whichever folks use those lost features or at least feel they are critical, and was going to pale in comparison to the D7000.

Funny thing after the smoke clears is that the D7000 and 60D seem very much on par with each other, but the D7000 has maintained a much higher price point. I thought for a while that meant Canon made a mistake, but now I don't necessarily think so. They are still selling 7Ds at an even higher price point, and selling plenty of 60Ds to a wider market at sub $1000. I think they did a pretty fair job of adjusting their product line. They might actually know more about making, marketing and selling cameras than even the most prolific posters on POTN. ;)

-Strike-
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2011 07:35 |  #79

I love my 60D. That will be all.

60D | EF-S 18-135 | Slik Pro 580DX

landth
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 08:08 |  #80

My 50D is nowhere near old enough for me to think about upgrading, my skill doesn't warrant it and I would rather buy better glass first, but I did try a friends out a month or so ago, and it felt like my wife's 500D in my hands. It felt "less", nothing wrong with the images, nothing scientifically worse, just less. I am sure it's a terrific camera, but as a personal preference I will buy the 7D or it's current equivalent when I choose to buy a new body. Technically the 60D is an upgrade on the 50D, but in my reality the logical upgrade from a 50D is the 7D, or a 5D, available funds and EF-S lens considerations picking the winner.

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

JAnders
223 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 08:16 |  #81

wolfden wrote in post #12380720 (external link)
I am curious as to what the percentage of users that have the articulating screen are actually using it or how much they do use it. I have maybe used it twice and I found it struggled to grab focus vs. using the view finder.

I didn't buy the 60D for the articulating screen. It was an upgrade from my Rebel XT to a semi-pro camera that will suit my needs at the price I could afford. I debated with the T2i but the extra features made it worth it for me. I guess I can see the complaint for those already in that lineup, but it does make a nice upgrade, which is where I'm coming from. I absolutely love the camera.

I've used the articulating screen when I was trying to get some images with the camera nearly resting on the ground. Saved me from getting a dirty belly :lol:

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 08:23 |  #82

When getting back into photography after so many years away I bought a 50D instead of the 60D. I don't hate the 60D, but I do like the fact that it has a PC cable socket (which I do use) and that I can micro adjust my lenses. I also like the heft and feel of it, even though I know the plastic body will hold up just as well. I had an articulating screen on my SX10IS that I never used so that was no big deal to me, and I do not really care baout being able to fill up a memory card with six minutes of video so the savings to me was worth it.

I am sure the 60D is great for those that have it, but when I can upgrade, it will be to a 7D or a 5D Mk whatever is out at the time. I aint no hater, I just have different needs out of my gear is all.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

kpflynn
Goldmember
2,186 posts
Joined May 2010

May 10, 2011 08:39 |  #83

I almost always use the viewfinder on my 60D. I think it's easier to hold the camera stead when it's against my face. Also, I'm almost 50 years old and my arms aren't long enough to see the LCD clearly.

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 09:01 |  #84

kpflynn wrote in post #12381942 (external link)
I almost always use the viewfinder on my 60D. I think it's easier to hold the camera stead when it's against my face. Also, I'm almost 50 years old and my arms aren't long enough to see the LCD clearly.

As most would I suspect.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 09:14 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

I have got a Canon video camera with a articulated screen and a plastic body I have own it for two years now, I haven't see any sign of the screen (fall off or break) and now I have my 60D for six months and use the articulated screen all the time open it flip it many times but there is no sign again of it breaking off like you said?

The 60D is 1fps lower than the 50D WOW 1 frame? I am happy my 60D camera body is made of Super modern polycarbonate plastic, better than magnesium alloy for what I have seen they break easy and some plastics is lighter, and stronger than Metal.

At least the Battery in the 60D is better with HD video,18.0 MP, articulated screen with LCD Dots 1,040,000 vs 50D 920,000
60D Exposure compensation -5 to +5 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps vs 50D -2 to +2 EV in 1/3EV or 1/2 EV steps

Announce date 60D Aug 25, 2010 vs old tech 50D Aug 25, 2008.
Weight (inc. batteries) 60D 755 g (26.6 oz) Vs 50D 822 g (29 oz)
Subject / scene modes 60D yes 50D No

Why did so many 50D owners hate the 60D (because when the 60D came Canon discontinued the 50D) :lol:

hollis_f wrote in post #12381568 (external link)
Why did so many 50D owners hate the 60D when it came out? Because they were expecting the 60D to be a 7D with a lower price. When Canon released the 7D it was obviously designed as the upgrade step for 50D owners - a larger upgrade step than we were used to, but still the obvious upgrade.

It soon became plain that unimportant things like image quality were better in the 60D, so that had to be ignored. Instead it was derided for only having 5.3 fps; for having an articulated LCD that would fall off after two days (like all those LCDs on video cameras have been doing for the last decade); for not having MA (when reading fora provides ample evidence that most people have no idea how to use it) and, finally and most risably, that it didn't have a magnesium alloy shell.

Apparently it's not the extra stregth of Mg-alloy that's important (although reading this thread has made me wonder just how strong it really is). No, it's the feel of it! The 60D is a terrible, useless pile of junk because it feels 'plasticky' as opposed to the lovely 'magnesiumy' feel of the 7D

Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2011 09:55 |  #86

hollis_f wrote in post #12381568 (external link)
Why did so many 50D owners hate the 60D when it came out? Because they were expecting the 60D to be a 7D with a lower price.

Of course, that was never going to happen, as should have been obvious to anybody with an IQ greater than their shoe size.

IN rebuttal:

IMAGE: http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Digital-SLR/2010/25468-Nikon-D7000/Views/353_25468_D7000_front.png

Canon COULD have designed a $1200-1300 semi-pro camera if they wanted. Nikon did just that.

Also, I wear a size 190 shoe, thanks. :)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2011 09:55 |  #87

CanonEOS wrote in post #12382141 (external link)
Oh my, did we have a bad day at work?

I have got a Canon video camera with a articulated screen and a plastic body I have own it for two years now, I haven't see any sign of the screen (fall off or break) and now I have my 60D for six months and use the articulated screen all the time open it flip it many times but there is no sign again of it breaking off like you said?

The 60D is 1fps lower than the 50D WOW 1 frame? don't cry over it I won't I am happy my 60D camera body is made of Super modern polycarbonate plastic, better than magnesium alloy for what I have seen they break easy and some plastics is lighter, and stronger than Metal.

That's strange. It says you're in the UK - but you seem not to recognise sarcasm. Are you perhaps visiting from elsewhere?

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 10, 2011 10:38 |  #88

hollis_f wrote in post #12381579 (external link)
Not when they see you trying to use the LCD they won't.

That's funny you would say that...

I had my 60D out on a Tripod last evening taking photos of the sunset and had the LCD flipped out in live view. 50% of the people walking by asked me if I was a professional... :lol::lol::lol:

One guy even asked to take a picture of my camera with the view on the screen, because he thought it looked better than real life.

Most people don't give damn what gear you really use. It's all in how you present yourself. A camera can't be a professional, but the guy using it can!

My 500PX (external link)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2011 11:07 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

hollis_f wrote in post #12382381 (external link)
That's strange. It says you're in the UK - but you seem not to recognise sarcasm. Are you perhaps visiting from elsewhere?

I have just PM you

This will be my next camera :lol::lol: When Canon joins Nikon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2011 11:17 |  #90

landth wrote in post #12381807 (external link)
My 50D is nowhere near old enough for me to think about upgrading, my skill doesn't warrant it and I would rather buy better glass first, but I did try a friends out a month or so ago, and it felt like my wife's 500D in my hands. It felt "less", nothing wrong with the images, nothing scientifically worse, just less. I am sure it's a terrific camera, but as a personal preference I will buy the 7D or it's current equivalent when I choose to buy a new body. Technically the 60D is an upgrade on the 50D, but in my reality the logical upgrade from a 50D is the 7D, or a 5D, available funds and EF-S lens considerations picking the winner.

Feel is surely a personal and subjective thing, but to suggest that the 60D is closer to the 500D than to the 50D is just plain misguided, and helps add to the disinformation that is oft-repeated around here by those who lack first hand experience.

I've owned the T1i, 40D, 50D and 60D. I prefer the 40 or 50D to the 60D in terms of feel, but the difference is very slight. T1i is in a different league completely. Not close.

sponsored links

21,832 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.