Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2011 (Monday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2011 16:52 |  #121

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12385112 (external link)
I agree..
Some people don't want the truth and don't care for the facts. The SD card is newer but it doesn't make it better, the stats proves it again and again. I guess Canon and Nikon got it wrong and Nikon only uses the CF card on the higher end gear the 3D series and for some reason they put it on the D300s. But what does the big two know about CF cards? I think they need to hire some of the folks around here that know better (sarcasm)

but the SD Card also doesn't make it worse.

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 16:53 |  #122

twixraider wrote in post #12385087 (external link)
didnt happend to me. Ifound it on the net. I just wanted to show that it can happen that the pins get bendet.

I also was not happy that my 60D uses SD Cards, because now my CF Cards where useless.
But I just dont think that SD cards have less quality.

Not less quality, just slower and not as reliable. The bus is much slower so you can't shoot as fast. At 5 fps you don't need to worry but shooting very large RAW files at 10fps you need to worry. The only cool thing the SD card has going for it is the Eye-Fi card and I wish they made one for the CF.

JAnders
223 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 16:56 |  #123

I used to work for a company that made thermal imaging cameras and we used CF for our storage - they created all types of havoc with compatibility! There are really no standards, even amongst the different SanDisk plants. We'd get some cards that would work fine, and others with a different lot # made in another factory...no go! Drove us freaking nuts.

We found this particularly problematic on higher end devices, and no - that doesn't include Canon's "high end" cameras :)

landth
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 17:07 |  #124

mpix345 wrote in post #12382923 (external link)
Feel is surely a personal and subjective thing, but to suggest that the 60D is closer to the 500D than to the 50D is just plain misguided, and helps add to the disinformation that is oft-repeated around here by those who lack first hand experience.

I've owned the T1i, 40D, 50D and 60D. I prefer the 40 or 50D to the 60D in terms of feel, but the difference is very slight. T1i is in a different league completely. Not close.

As you say, feel is subjective, and I thought I went to length to state that whilst it was a better camera, it just wasn't better for me... That's hardly disinformation.

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2011 17:26 |  #125

And to think I was worried about this thread spiraling down the drain just like the other 60D sucks threads.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2011 17:28 |  #126

I still use my 300D (bought Jan 2005) with the 1Gb Cf card that I bought with it. I also have a 2Gb card that I got a couple of years later. Both these cards work fine. Every SD card that I have ever used has failed within 6 months! I know that is only a half dozen cards or so but every card has failed.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2011 19:44 |  #127

landth wrote in post #12385246 (external link)
As you say, feel is subjective, and I thought I went to length to state that whilst it was a better camera, it just wasn't better for me... That's hardly disinformation.

You preferring the feel of one vs the other is certainly fine and your call, the disinformation comment relates specifically to this statement where you are talking about the 60D:

...but I did try a friends out a month or so ago, and it felt like my wife's 500D in my hands.

That's hard to understand when you consider the size and weight of each camera:

60D 145mm x 106 x 79....... 755 grams
50D 146 x 108 x 74....... 822
500D 129 x 98 x 62....... 520

One of these things is not like the others, and it just isn't the 60D.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 10, 2011 20:57 |  #128

JAnders wrote in post #12385166 (external link)
There are really no standards, even amongst the different SanDisk plants. We'd get some cards that would work fine, and others with a different lot # made in another factory...no go! Drove us freaking nuts.

No standards?

Oh really? :rolleyes:

http://compactflash.or​g/specifications/ (external link)

Perhaps these " high end devices " you were utilizing were not quite built to spec.

The interface for CF has been standardized from the beginning. It is IDE (PATA)

However there is an updated standard for SATA known as CFast, last revision is 1.1

Also CF 6.0 cards support up to 120MB/s

And if you are wondering who the Compact Flash Association is, the Members list is here .....

http://compactflash.or​g/members-list/ (external link)

landth
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 11, 2011 02:25 |  #129

mpix345 wrote in post #12386038 (external link)
You preferring the feel of one vs the other is certainly fine and your call, the disinformation comment relates specifically to this statement where you are talking about the 60D:

That's hard to understand when you consider the size and weight of each camera:

60D 145mm x 106 x 79....... 755 grams
50D 146 x 108 x 74....... 822
500D 129 x 98 x 62....... 520

One of these things is not like the others, and it just isn't the 60D.

I saw the same table yesterday and did a double take.
Our photography instructor was giving my wife and I "one on one" lesson at his home, and during the course of the discussion he showed us his new 60D. I put my 50D (with 15-85) down on the table and picked his up (17-55 lens). The 60D felt appreciable smaller and lighter and even slightly off balance, despite the fact that his lens is very slightly heavier.
Perhaps had there been a gap of more than a few seconds I may not have noticed as much a difference, if any, but again, that's how it felt.

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 03:49 |  #130
bannedPermanent ban

I just love the 60D here is mine:D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i638.photobucke​t.com …20EOS%2060D/Can​on60D1.jpg (external link)

Also
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i638.photobucke​t.com …20EOS%2060D/Can​on60D3.jpg (external link)

Gear List

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2011 04:13 |  #131

All the other stuff is irrelevant it's not worth getting due to 2 factors:
- It hasn't got AF Microadjust
- It's not FF

Otherwise, great camera

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 11, 2011 05:21 |  #132

smorter wrote in post #12388065 (external link)
- It's not FF

Otherwise, great camera

Oddly, tens of thousands of people seem to take great pictures that are tack-sharp without AF microadjust. Lots of people are still posting complaints about their 7D being soft with it. Maybe it's just one of those features for crazy OCD people to try to justify their more expensive camera?

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2011 05:27 |  #133

Yeah but people can take tack sharp photos with manual focus

I would love to be able to say that AF Microadjust is useless. Unfortunately experience with Canon cameras and lenses prevents me from doing that :(

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 11, 2011 06:03 |  #134

smorter wrote in post #12388065 (external link)
- It's not FF

Otherwise, great camera

At best you are half right .... I have " grayed out " your error! ;)

James ­ Emory
857 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2011 06:22 |  #135

Bang Bang Boy wrote in post #12376492 (external link)
Meh, people will always bash cameras. I bought a 50d four months before the 60d was announced and then my ex-girlfriend got a 60d. I now hate that frikking camera!!! vmad

Nothing against the 60D, but I'd rather have the 50D.

James Emory
Olympus E-PL2, VF2 Electronic Viewfinder, Olympus lenses; 14-42mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm, Manfrotto monopod, Slik U212Tripod, Canon Pixma MP990 Printer, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer.

sponsored links

21,834 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do (some) ppl think 60D not worth getting?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.