Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 05:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photobook markup

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 10, 2011 05:47 |  #1

I've done a few studio sessions and sold a few prints and CDs but last week I sent away for a 26 page 7x5 photobook to see what it was like and to see if I could offer it as another product. I was very impressed and was wondering what should I charge for it? All in book and postage came to £21.98. ANy advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 10, 2011 05:52 |  #2

casp3r wrote in post #12381294 (external link)
I've done a few studio sessions and sold a few prints and CDs but last week I sent away for a 26 page 7x5 photobook to see what it was like and to see if I could offer it as another product. I was very impressed and was wondering what should I charge for it? All in book and postage came to £21.98. ANy advice would be greatly appreciated.

I put 50% on a book which I reckoned was very reasonable & people still complained it was far too much and I only sold 2 - they expected to pay less than the book cost! However, at the time I was using iphoto to produce the books - a lot cheaper book can be produced with 'booksmart', Good luck!

Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,379 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 10, 2011 07:04 as a reply to  @ hania's post |  #3

Good quality photobooks are expensive, and if they're press-printed it should be obvious why they would be...all the economics of press-printing a one-off book are wrong.

Books are labor-intensive all around, both for the photographer and for the production company. They're just not cheap to do. I've found it better just to go for higher quality and market to higher-end clients who want something good and different and will pay for it.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 10, 2011 09:23 |  #4

RDKirk wrote in post #12381558 (external link)
Good quality photobooks are expensive, and if they're press-printed it should be obvious why they would be...all the economics of press-printing a one-off book are wrong.

Books are labor-intensive all around, both for the photographer and for the production company. They're just not cheap to do. I've found it better just to go for higher quality and market to higher-end clients who want something good and different and will pay for it.

I totally agree.

This was a really good amateur production of 'WE Will Rock You' and everyone raved about the books (200+ photos) but when it came to actually buying them.........anyway I refused to drop my price. Their loss.

People don't realise how much work is involved in setting out a book - one they try & do one thats when they realise you were being realistic about the price.

Gear List

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,191 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2011 09:42 |  #5

What is your time worth to you? What sort of hourly wage do you typically pay yourself? It doesn't need to be a lot, but you want to be fair to yourself for your effort and skill.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,379 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 10, 2011 09:56 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #6

People go online to one of the cheap outlets like Blurb and see that it costs maybe $25 to get a book printed...and they expect to pay no more than $25. They don't expect or want to pay for the time it takes to prepare the images, do the layouts, and do the uploading and other "paperwork." That's going to come easily to several times more than the printing cost, if one values one's time fairly.

And the cheap printers are also less reliable than desired--so put in time, expense, and effort for some percentange to need re-printing. Or else go to a higher quality printer in the first place.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

casp3r
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

May 10, 2011 10:08 |  #7

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of just doubling the price from cost to £40 or £45. Because it would only be 7x5 with up to two images per page I wouldn't be spending to much time in PP. Also as this isn't my full time job and I don't have big (photographic) overheads - just rent on a studio that I part share with a few other photographers. So just selling two of them a month and nothing else would cover my rent :)

Anyone I've shown it too think it's great and I even have one job lined up on the strength of it :)

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,191 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2011 10:59 |  #8

casp3r wrote in post #12382489 (external link)
.....Anyone I've shown it too think it's great and I even have one job lined up on the strength of it :)

And this is all the more reason to charge a fair and reasonable price for your talent (never mind that your regular job subsidizes your costs) so they won't expect cheap work in the future. I realize this is easier said than done, but people will continue to shop based on that FIRST, inexpensive experience.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 10, 2011 20:21 |  #9

I did hardcover Blurb books for Snowcross and Sprint Cars, and everyone loved them, and I sold quite a few, but there are always certain people who deem the prices I asked to be too much. Funny part is when you went into their place of biz, they are outright criminals.

Case in point, one fellow is in the glass biz, and when my mother wanted new full sized glass door for a walk in shower, she was quoted 2 grand by a place ten miles east of her house, and the fellow who's son raced Snowcross and thought my books cost too much, wanted 3 grand for the same exact glass shower doors.

I've had people who had never met me before, see a book, and want a copy no matter what the asking price is. You never know how people are going to react, as I have put people in the books, year after year, and they still never buy, yet I had one team owner buy a half dozen $100 books for three years. I had one team refuse to buy, as they did not get on either cover.

Lotsa Luck!!!

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2011 20:26 |  #10

sapearl wrote in post #12382303 (external link)
What is your time worth to you? What sort of hourly wage do you typically pay yourself? It doesn't need to be a lot, but you want to be fair to yourself for your effort and skill.

If the book is costing you something like 20E to make, i reckon my markup would be more on the time spend to make it, and not the production cost.

Though i wouldn't really bother with a 20E book.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

sponsored links

1,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photobook markup
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.