Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I almost got arrested last night!

TattooedAffliction
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 12:13 |  #1

So, there was a report of a missing 9-year-old girl that happened a few blocks away from where I live, and it unfortunately ended with them finding the little girl murdered in a dumpster behind her apartment building. I got there with the intention to photograph the heroic search efforts of all the rescue workers involved before anyone knew that she had been killed. This is a small town, and murders just dont happen here, so I had thought it would turn out to be nothing more than a child that wondered off to a friends house and lost track of time and would eventually turn up safe and sound; unfortunately, that was not the case and heard the terrible news after I was wrapping up taking photos of the scene.

I got there with my camera equipment and was outside of the taped off area taking photos without issue until I decided to walk around the area to a street that was closer to get a better vantage point which was still outside of the taped off area. As soon as I got there and prepared to take some photos, one of the fire police yells from a distance, "no photos". I simply replied back that I am on public property. Several other fire police begin to gather around at this point all very rudely stating that I can not be here taking photos and I have to leave immediately. I kept as calm as I could trying to assert my rights stating that I am on a public sidewalk, not in the way of anyone, and therefore have every right to take photos.

One of the fire police proceeds to get a police officer to come over and the officer asks me who I'm affiliated with, and I informed him that I am a freelance photographer. He proceeds to tell me I need to leave as well and that I can't take photos. Again, I, as calmly as possible, try to assert that I have the right to photograph in public and on public property. Several minutes of this exchange go on until I decide that it's not worth getting arrested over, and walk back to my original position.

In conclusion, I used to be a firefighter for that fire company that the fire police in question are from, and I was forced to resign due to some issues through no fault of my own. Because of this, there's a bit of "bad blood" against me and they have it out for me wherever they see me. I feel this was the case in this incident because I later found out after watching the news that the more mainstream news media were able to get quite a bit closer to the scene than I was without issue.

Tom
Canon 5D MK II | 7D | 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 | EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6
70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM |[COLOR=red] [COLOR=Black]24-70 f/2.8L USM | 580EX II
Elinchrom 2 & 4 D-Lite kits

Sekonic L-358http://www.airliners.n​et …otographersearc​h=PeterEde (external link)

sponsored links
Justinryan215
228 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2011 12:40 |  #2

Sure, there may br bad blood between you and the department, but did you thing that, even though you WERE on a public street, there might be a reason that they want photos taken? You say you were a distance away, but do these guys know photography, and what kind of "reach" your lens has?

Also, just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...I know that if my little girl was raped, beaten and found murdered IN MY OWN APARTMENT COMPLEX, I wouldn't want every schmo with a camera around, snapping pics....

Just my two cents...

Justin

Justin
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/justinryansr/ (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 10, 2011 12:44 |  #3

Justinryan215 wrote in post #12383422 (external link)
...I know that if my little girl was raped, beaten and found murdered IN MY OWN APARTMENT COMPLEX, I wouldn't want every schmo with a camera around, snapping pics....

Just my two cents...

Justin

Yeah, there outta be a law!

Tom

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2011 12:56 |  #4

...just because someone thinks you shouldn't, doesn't give them the right to say you can't.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 12:58 |  #5

just because you have a camera doesnt mean you have every right to shoot either.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2011 13:04 |  #6

jeppoy wrote in post #12383555 (external link)
just because you have a camera doesnt mean you have every right to shoot either.

On public property, I think you do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a lens not a lense!

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 10, 2011 13:06 |  #7

OP was within his rights, if what he described is accurate

http://www.krages.com/​ThePhotographersRight.​pdf (external link)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 10, 2011 13:06 as a reply to  @ jeppoy's post |  #8

We all have rights, and should be able to execute them when we want to.

Then again, there are times where some common sense and respect for the type of situation in front of one, should take over and maybe just say, not this time.

It sounds to me like you had more of an anger issue with the fire patrol, than an issue with taking photos. Forget about it, life is too short. I am glad to see that your sense kicked in and you walked away.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 10, 2011 13:06 |  #9

so you are not even sure either

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

atlrus
531 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2011 13:12 |  #10

I am pretty sure that crime scenes are offlimits...Tampering or something like that...

Gear: Sold :cry:

TattooedAffliction
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 13:12 as a reply to  @ post 12383520 |  #11

I feel horrible about what happened to the little girl and my thoughts are certainly with her family, but as photographers, it is our job to document the good, bad and the ugly whether we like it or not.

EDIT: And for the record I gave the photos to the news organization for free because I would not want to profit from something like this.

Tom
Canon 5D MK II | 7D | 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 | EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6
70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM |[COLOR=red] [COLOR=Black]24-70 f/2.8L USM | 580EX II
Elinchrom 2 & 4 D-Lite kits

Sekonic L-358http://www.airliners.n​et …otographersearc​h=PeterEde (external link)

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2011 13:12 |  #12

Talk about a waste of time.

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2011 13:20 |  #13

jeppoy wrote in post #12383621 (external link)
ok, let say he did took some photos of the crime scene? what would you do with it? sell to the newspaper and benefit on someone elses grief? I could understand if you're a journalist but if you are just a regular jo schmuck wanna be phtographer then I would even laugh if they beat you with the camera you carrying that day.

Yes let's beat up people when we don't agree...just brilliant.

It's a lens not a lense!

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 10, 2011 13:23 |  #14

Here's a situation similar to the OP's: http://www.photoattorn​ey.com/?p=492 (external link)

Here's Carolyn Wright's summary of legal rights: http://www.photoattorn​ey.com/?p=36 (external link)

*Disclaimer - I am an attorney, but not one who specializes in 1st amendment rights, public safety law, or copyright issues.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

superwspfreak
74 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 10, 2011 13:23 |  #15

So was it worth it?

Canon 6D | 50f1.4 | 85f1.8 | 24-105f4L | 70-200f4L

sponsored links

15,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
I almost got arrested last night!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.