Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I almost got arrested last night!

TattooedAffliction
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 17:06 |  #46

Nathan wrote in post #12385198 (external link)
I hate seeing members being forced to be put on the defensive.

You and I both. I know I made a few mistakes how I may have handled it, but in the heat of the moment it's hard to think clearly. Nobody seems to understand that.

Tom
Canon 5D MK II | 7D | 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 | EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6
70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM |[COLOR=red] [COLOR=Black]24-70 f/2.8L USM | 580EX II
Elinchrom 2 & 4 D-Lite kits

Sekonic L-358http://www.airliners.n​et …otographersearc​h=PeterEde (external link)

sponsored links
CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 10, 2011 17:17 |  #47

TattooedAffliction wrote in post #12385237 (external link)
You and I both. I know I made a few mistakes how I may have handled it, but in the heat of the moment it's hard to think clearly. Nobody seems to understand that.

I agree completely, in the heat of the moment that it is very hard to remain composed, especially when you know you are right (which I agree that you were). The problem for me is however you handled that exchange will stick in the memory of both the police and firefighters. So the next time they come across a photog they may roll their eyes and feel like here comes another tool with a camera because of their previous experiences.

We should not have to deal with harassment but when it happens (I fully believe it does) harassing an authority in return is NEVER going to help anyone in the photog community.

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

forouza1
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2011 17:26 as a reply to  @ CTP's post |  #48

Perhaps you're original post didn't make it very obvious you were there as a photojournalist. My thoughts go out to the victims family for such a senseless crime.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. My 500px (external link) porfolio. My flickr (external link) photostream.

TattooedAffliction
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 17:28 |  #49

CTP wrote in post #12385296 (external link)
I agree completely, in the heat of the moment that it is very hard to remain composed, especially when you know you are right (which I agree that you were). The problem for me is however you handled that exchange will stick in the memory of both the police and firefighters. So the next time they come across a photog they may roll their eyes and feel like here comes another tool with a camera because of their previous experiences.

We should not have to deal with harassment but when it happens (I fully believe it does) harassing an authority in return is NEVER going to help anyone in the photog community.

Yeah, I agree. I screwed up somewhat with how it was handled, but what's done is done, I can only move on and learn from my mistake. It was my first run in of this type with an authority figure, and I'll be honest, I was scared so I kind of panicked a bit, but still tried my best to remain calm.

I just hope nobody here harbors any negative feelings towards me because of this thread. I love this site and all the helpful members. I don't want that to change.

Tom

Sekonic L-358http://www.airliners.n​et …otographersearc​h=PeterEde (external link)

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 17:43 as a reply to  @ TattooedAffliction's post |  #50

I for one would like to thank the OP for sticking his preverbal neck out and both exposing his emotions along with professional instinct. The entire thread is amusing as what should have been a simple matter of photographers question of rights ended up boiling down to a discussion of individualistic moral interpretation.

No one has made a single legitimate claim that what the OP did was legally incorrect; many choose however to impose their moral viewpoint of the situation and perform armchair quarterback analysis of the situation. He was the only one that was there in the moment. For anyone to judge him using their personal moral compass is no different then what the Paparazzi do.

Thank you for having the courage to stick up for your rights and the rights of others; but mostly the courage to publicly expose your situation to the members of the forums.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 10, 2011 18:07 |  #51

TattooedAffliction wrote in post #12385344 (external link)
Yeah, I agree. I screwed up somewhat with how it was handled, but what's done is done, I can only move on and learn from my mistake. It was my first run in of this type with an authority figure, and I'll be honest, I was scared so I kind of panicked a bit, but still tried my best to remain calm.

I just hope nobody here harbors any negative feelings towards me because of this thread. I love this site and all the helpful members. I don't want that to change.

For taking the time to write this, well done to you sir. You have shown that you are a far better man than most.

Huge props to you and if you are ever in the chicago area, beers on me. And then we can go take pictures of O'Hare airport and see what happens :evil:

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

TattooedAffliction
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 18:37 |  #52

CTP wrote in post #12385518 (external link)
For taking the time to write this, well done to you sir. You have shown that you are a far better man than most.

Huge props to you and if you are ever in the chicago area, beers on me. And then we can go take pictures of O'Hare airport and see what happens :evil:

Thank you!

I hardly ever travel, but I'll definitely take you up on that offer if I'm ever out that way. The airport outing should be interesting to say the least :lol:

Tom

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 10, 2011 19:13 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

if you edited the first post you could save yourself some frustration, I too originally read it thinking you were just some wack job wanting pics of dead girls. The photojournalist bit would be good to add.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Eiro
Goldmember
1,356 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 10, 2011 19:15 |  #54

TattooedAffliction wrote in post #12385344 (external link)

MannNNNnnn you do not need to apologize to no one on this forum. PFFttTTTsss.
My opinion is just like your opinion. Perspective of how we view things. I'm not apologizing for anything that I say, if people don't like it. OH well....sad for them. Deal with it.
I'm not here to kiss anyones arse and neither should you be.

With that said,if I was that cop and you got in my face like that pulling out that bologna line of freedom to photograph anywhere I would have tazered you in the neck and then taken your camera gear to the local pawn shop for beer and donut money bw!

Get out and shoot

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2011 20:28 |  #55

This brings up a different question for me - and it is likely very U.S.A. specific. There's been lots of discussion about photographer's rights in situations like these. What hasn't been mentioned is that first responders are bound by HIPPA and are legally obligated take reasonable precautions to protect the privacy of patients. I don't know if police are bound by HIPPA as well.

It would be interesting to know how the photographer's rights to photograph from and on public property interact with first responders legal obligations to protect privacy of patients in situations like that.

It almost seems like both sides in an incident like the above might be acting out their rights and legal obligations...

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2011 20:33 |  #56

Why would you want to take pics of the this poor girl who has lost her life.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 10, 2011 20:58 |  #57

You might have all the rights in the world but why spend time arguing with the morons enforcing a law they have no clue about. Write or make a phone call to your local commissioners and let them know about the incident and file a complaint with the police department but I think doing all that will more than likely get you nowhere. No they can't force you to delete the photos or take the camera from you but you must realize that many police officers are in a very corrupted environment and will probably do what they can if they know they can get away with it and then deny it to the end, then it will be your word against theirs..... guess who's going to win unless you have good proof of the incident and that you were in all your rights?

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2011 20:59 |  #58

EDIT: Nevermind...not the place for it...

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2011 21:10 |  #59

The Framed Life wrote in post #12385855 (external link)
if you edited the first post you could save yourself some frustration, I too originally read it thinking you were just some wack job wanting pics of dead girls. The photojournalist bit would be good to add.

Agreed.

I live near you, just by chance.

You do realize that the police can decide that your presence is hammering an investigation or that your activity is causing a safety risk, then remove you, right?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

TattooedAffliction
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined May 2009

May 10, 2011 21:19 |  #60

The Framed Life wrote in post #12385855 (external link)

Done. I think that's worded a bit better and more accurately depicts what transpired.

Tom

sponsored links

15,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
I almost got arrested last night!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.