Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 May 2011 (Thursday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

tripod Q + reco

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 12, 2011 10:40 |  #1

i tried to read the sticky, but its just too much info out there

first, let me ask the most basic and obvious question.... do i need a head? i thought tripods come with heads, but i see stuff about 3d, panning, joysticks, pistols, balls, quick release, etc....

i want a relatively inexpensive tripod that i can use every once in a while to take some scenery shots such as the brooklyn bridge. since this will be an accessory seldom used, i dont really think spending more than $200-300 is warranted.

i am 5'7"

the heaviest i can see my gear being is a T2i+24-105+430EXII, which is a bit under 4lb using the specs from canon site.

just a quick look at B&H site for sub-$250 tripods... how are these:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …90_Travel_Angel​_Alum.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …91_Travel_Angel​_Alum.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tion_Aluminum_T​ripod.html (external link)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 12, 2011 23:52 |  #2

I currently own 1541 with q3t and rrs clamps. i also have the benro travel angel in your first link. if you don't mind aluminum, i would with either benros. the 3rd link-i've never heard of that brand before.
if you decide to go with one of the benros, upgrade the head to a b1 at least.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 14:49 |  #3

i am still thinkng about getting a tripod in general, but ive been looking more closely at the manfrotto - either the 55xpro or 190xpro legs, and a 494RC2 or 496RC2 head.

looks like i can get it for sub-200 on amazon. i dont need panning, as i dont really do landscape, so 498rc2 head is overkill.

then again, if i dont do landscape, why do i need a tripod in the first place? hmmmm

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2011 17:33 |  #4

ekinnyc wrote in post #12427853 (external link)
i am still thinkng about getting a tripod in general, but ive been looking more closely at the manfrotto - either the 55xpro or 190xpro legs, and a 494RC2 or 496RC2 head.

looks like i can get it for sub-200 on amazon. i dont need panning, as i dont really do landscape, so 498rc2 head is overkill.

then again, if i dont do landscape, why do i need a tripod in the first place? hmmmm

Have you had a look at the used market? Very recently I picked up a well used Gitzo G1329 Mk2. Yes it has a few marks and a little missing paint but for £100 (UK) what do you expect! It is a functionally perfect 3 series Carbon Studex that came with an additional adjustable center column! Without the legs extended it will support me (100 Kilo). On top of this I put a flyweight Triopo RS3 ball head with an arca type QR clamp. This setup is quite adequate for my heaviest combo, namely a 600 F4 + 1 D body - not bad for £150 (in total). This is probably borderline on price (in US Dollars) but you will have to spend $1000+++ to get anything better.
P.S. the head and QR clamp were new - only the tripod was second hand.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 18:02 |  #5

i see some deals in the FS section here.... i am just still not sure if i absolutely need a tripod now, considering i have alot of expenses coming up. not to the point of selling any gear, but definitely not a good time to buy anything new.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2011 22:47 |  #6

went with a bogen/manfrotto 3021bpro with 486RC2 head from ebay..... love it so far!!
thanks for the help everyone

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links

820 views & 0 likes for this thread
tripod Q + reco
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.