Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 May 2011 (Friday) 05:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C on Young Paleontologist

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2011 05:31 |  #1

I took this fo a neighbour recently, shot in shade with small amount of fill flash at f/4.
Looking for help on composition and exposure, also anything else. I asked him to bring things that interest him, he wants to be a paleontologist.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 532502 does not exist. ]

Thanks for looking.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links
NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2011 09:43 |  #2

I like it. I could perhaps be improved with just a tad more DOF to make the skull a little more defined.

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 13, 2011 09:46 |  #3

a less distracting/more distant background would help some too. I like the concept though!

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 13, 2011 09:49 |  #4

Was not easy for me to know that was a skull. Thought it was a crumpled brown paper bag at first.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 13, 2011 09:52 |  #5

Cool idea. The boys feet look weird coming out of his head like that. I like the idea of the foreground skull being out of focus but I think its a little much. The skull and the boy feel too separated to me. I do think a larger depth of field might have helped.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 13, 2011 09:54 |  #6

It doesn't really say paleo - whatever. You need a few more props, rock hammer, brush, pith helmit mag glass etc. Use a sandbox and give the kid something to do.

Here is the formula I use for creative shots

1. Location - look for a location that matches your subject. Keep your BG's clean.
2. Plan your props, outfits, play dressup don't over do it though.
3. Shoot from the subjects POV.
4. Plan your TOD, and your lighting to add seperation and isolation from the BG.
5. PLan the poses, and then shoot varieties.

Have fun.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 13, 2011 09:55 |  #7

Image is overall a little too hot, not enough cyan. The red in the background to the left side of the kid is a little distracting. My 2cents.

- Paul

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2011 10:03 as a reply to  @ LBaldwin's post |  #8

Thanks for the comments.
Would you suggest moving the skull closer then or up the aperture?
Any ideas on how I could get the background darker.
As for exposure and colour does it seem OK?
I have this too.I liked them both and thought a print of each in different rooms would look cool.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 532544 does not exist. ]

Body | Canon 6D |

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 13, 2011 10:10 |  #9

to get your background darker, make your subject brighter.

to make the skull more in focus, move it closer to your subject, and move your subject further from your background.

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 13, 2011 11:04 |  #10

I like both of them as they are posted. Good shots.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

Nissaea
104 posts
Joined May 2009

May 14, 2011 03:35 |  #11

the angle on your first shot inst very flattering. the shoes coming out of the head inst looking great, imo. so changing your angle or asking him to let his legs rest down would have been better form this angle.

i agree in that having a few more related things to his desire to become a paleontologist would benefit these shots.

otherwise as a viewer all I'm thinking is why is this boy laying on the ground next to a skull? :D

you could really have a lot of fun with a shoot like this. get more creative :)

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2011 03:45 as a reply to  @ Nissaea's post |  #12

Firstly thanks for the c&c helps, I have an edited version with more cyan, and it looks better.
Looks like I will have to DIG around for some bits.
I understand that it needs some more props, wold that not be too much, distraction, in foreground?

Body | Canon 6D |

ejay79
135 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2011 09:54 |  #13

You don't need to overdo it with props, but I think a hammer and a helmet would help quite a bit. For me, the skull would ideally be about halfway between him and where it is now, a little off-center, and a little more in focus. As it stands, it feels like a barrier between us and the subject.

ejiphotos.com (external link), The Johnson Blog (external link)
+Eric Johnson (external link), @eajhnsn1 (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 14, 2011 11:53 |  #14

I like the second shot better, with the boy out of focus. Perhaps a shot of him sitting down leaning against a tree engrossed in a book on paleontology, with the skull somewhere in the frame as well.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2011 15:57 |  #15

I like them both ideally but I would make sure the skull is more noticeable in the first one and the shoes coming out of the boys ears is a bit weird looking as well. But overall, nice shots.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

1,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C on Young Paleontologist
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.