Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 May 2011 (Friday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something missing

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2011 12:59 |  #1

I really like this shot, but the more I look at it the more something seems wrong. What do you guys think.
As it came out of the camera. What PP do you suggest

File Name IMG_0122.jpg
Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Date/Time 3/27/2011 1:58:25 PM
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
Av( Aperture Value ) 2.5
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF85mm f/1.8 USM
Focal Length 85.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality Fine
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Custom
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Picture Style Portrait
Sharpness 2
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Noise Reduction Off

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 13, 2011 14:39 |  #2

If you shot Raw, start with adjusting the white balance, then work on the exposure (fill light).

Q

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,312 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 13, 2011 14:53 |  #3

My first reaction is that you do not have a clear view of their faces. One is out of focus; the other is turned away from the camera. Technically, it looks like the light was fluorescent. I'm guessing that the wall in the background was gray. That's where I would try putting my gray eye-dropper in balancing the color. Also check the levels. You might not be using the full tonal range.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2011 17:37 |  #4

Thanks, the pic was shot as jpeg, I'm starting to use RAW alot more now.. I shall work on the white balance, as I recall the wall was beige, but the tire on the wheelchair looks like it may be grey. I will try both ways. Definately was flourescent.
I understand about the faces.Its tough to get depth of field inside. The Xti only goes to iso 1600, I don't like going there so i stay at 800. Next time I will try to get one face in a fuller view and eliminate the second person.
I will spend some time working on tonal range, I understand the concept but not quite sure how to get there. I will do some PP and repost the pic, probably tomorrow.
Thanks

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2011 17:42 |  #5

Until I read your post detail the only thing I noticed is that there is no ball in the shot.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2011 18:15 |  #6

you're right, there is no ball. That is something I am working on. I often go to wheelchair basketball games, I have been asked to take pic's and have a slideshow at that evening's supper. The only request is that I have a pic of every single player, because everyone likes seeing themselves.
Sometimes there is a ball in the pic sometimes not.

Anyway I couldn't wait to try some pp on the photo, ( i guess I will be a little late for tonights plans) I think this looks a little better.
But I don't think this will ever be a great pic, because of the composition.

There's a few more ball pics in my flickr stream. This just seemed to be a good of example of some my shots. I need to know what I am doing wrong. All of the ball players are always happy with my pic's and pat me on the back lots. But I am never happy with them, i know I can do better I just need a little help and it seems there are lots of people here willing to do that. For which I am truly grateful.

I did exactly as Joedlh suggested I used the back wall for white balance and increased tonal range ( I didn't know how to do that 30 minutes ago) by using a histogram and level adjust.
Q-man said "then work on the exposure (fill light)." not sure how to do that. I will work on that.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2011 18:22 |  #7

Ah, if you need shots of every player, then shoot the warm ups too.

If you want to get their faces, get under the basket, get low, and fire away.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

ejay79
135 posts
Joined May 2007

May 13, 2011 19:44 |  #8

How about, compositionally, giving the player more room. I think the tight crop is what I am finding bothersome.

ejiphotos.com (external link), The Johnson Blog (external link)
+Eric Johnson (external link), @eajhnsn1 (external link)

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 14, 2011 20:51 |  #9

Yes, sometimes I shoot the warmups, Prefer to get shots are playing while they are playing. I'll will try to get under the basket. I always try to stay well out of the play of the game. Nearly always, there is not enough room and the end of the court and it sucks getting hit by a chair.

ejay79. This pic I can't change, But i will try not cropping so tight. I do like tight crops so I often do that. I'll try something new next time.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's helped. Can't wait to get out and shoot ball pic's. But unfortunately the season has ended.
I think I will shoot in RAW all the time now. It opens up more possibilities when you do get a decent shot. External hard drives are getting cheaper and bigger all the time.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

1,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something missing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.