Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2011 (Saturday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 14, 2011 23:51 |  #1

I am fuming right now! Soooooo upset I could scream. And am seriously considering just selling all my Canon gear and switching to Nikon because this is RIDICULOUS!

Two weeks ago (on Monday) I sent my camera in to get the mirror fix and a cleaning from Canon repair services. A week later (when I expected my camera back) they finally called and suggested that I get a complete shutter rebuild since my camera has quite a few miles on it. I agree, pay the $300, and have been expecting my camera ever since, but was giving it another week before I started inquiring about it. Well, on a whim I decided to check to see if it had shipped yet so I did the online tracking... only to learn that not only is my camera NOT repaired, but they want MORE MONEY! $895 TOTAL (for a Canon 5Dc?!?!?!). Can someone please explain to me how a shutter rebuild went from $300 to almost $900 overnight? I already paid the damn $300 and I'm PISSED that no one called me to explain this to me. Nor did they sent an email... nothing! No contact about this.

And here I am, needing this camera by next SUNDAY because I'm moving and all I freakin' wanted was the stupid mirror fixed. My camera worked just fine, I was just getting the new shutter because I may as well do it now rather than later.

And of course they don't give me an email to contact them. I'd LOVE to call you, but I'm in Aruba. Are they going to pay for the charges to call to the US? I don't think so, so an email address would be nice. Gah. I'm pissed. Not a fun way to spend my vacation.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2011 23:56 |  #2

wow that's ridiculous.

Gearlist ยท Feedback

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 14, 2011 23:58 |  #3

Yup. Canon CPS service. I love how they held onto my mark III for two months with no progress, just to tell me that it wasn't repairable. Then they sent me a full replacement that was a dud.

But to be fair, as bad as I've had it with CPS, I've heard all the same horror stories from NPS too.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

GPFocussed
583 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 14, 2011 23:58 |  #4

Wow, thats pretty ridiculous. Tell them to refund you your $300 and just do the mirror fix and send it back to you since that is all you wanted anyway.

[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/Gear List"][URL="http://pho​tography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9541640&postcou​nt=2194"]Gear List

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2011 00:04 |  #5

1000arms wrote in post #12411536 (external link)
Try anonDirect@cits.cano (external link)n It is not a link to the repair center, but it might get you one. :) You might consider asking what they can do to make it right, including what they might offer through the Canon loyalty program.

Thank you! I just replied to the email that sent me hoping it'll go somewhere, and CCd this. I'll let you know which one works! I also mentioned that giving their clients an email number would be nice. I know not everyone is crazy like me and goes on vacation out of the country a week before they're supposed to move to a different state, but clearly it does happen! Having an alternate way to reach them should be available.

And I'm being dramatic. I won't switch to Nikon (WAY too much work! I'm so invested in Canon I'd never be able to sell my gear and upgrade evenly). But still, I'm upset! If it really costs $895 to build a 5Dc they clearly didn't make any money on that camera. I'm being hosed somewhere!

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 15, 2011 00:13 |  #6

PeaceFire wrote in post #12411555 (external link)
Thank you! I just replied to the email that sent me hoping it'll go somewhere, and CCd this. I'll let you know which one works! I also mentioned that giving their clients an email number would be nice. I know not everyone is crazy like me and goes on vacation out of the country a week before they're supposed to move to a different state, but clearly it does happen! Having an alternate way to reach them should be available.

And I'm being dramatic. I won't switch to Nikon (WAY too much work! I'm so invested in Canon I'd never be able to sell my gear and upgrade evenly). But still, I'm upset! If it really costs $895 to build a 5Dc they clearly didn't make any money on that camera. I'm being hosed somewhere!

You better contact them quickly because if you don't they'll just recycle your camera for you. Canon's repair department is simply atrocious as they give you little details whatsoever. You have no idea the actual status of the repair or even what it entails.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 15, 2011 00:13 |  #7

PeaceFire wrote in post #12411555 (external link)
I'm being hosed somewhere!

Sounds like it..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 15, 2011 00:15 |  #8

F*** I just sent in my 5dc for the mirror fix today. I hope this isn't what happens. Which repair center did you send it to?

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 15, 2011 00:15 |  #9

Could you tell me which location you sent you sent the camera to.

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2011 00:33 |  #10

I sent it to Irvine. It's the closest one to me so I thought it was the best option. Next time I'll do more research.

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2011 00:35 |  #11

OK, I just noticed that they refunded the $303 I paid to repair the shutter the DAY AFTER I paid it, which was the day after they called me because I paid it minutes after getting off the phone with them. So I'm confused as to why they'd call me about the shutter repair, but not about the increase in quote and just refund my money? Absolutely ridiculous customer service if you ask me. I think that upsets me more than the estimate they are giving me!

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 15, 2011 00:48 |  #12

I sounds bad.... I'd contact them and request a manager. Report back how it goes.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 15, 2011 00:48 |  #13

I have had very good service from the Irvine service center. With many businesses there seems to be a serious disconnect between the people doing the service and the people doing the billing.

I advise to stay on top of it as best you can and not let it eat you up. The tough part is waiting out the weekend before you can get answers.

Good luck.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,408 posts
Gallery: 828 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

May 15, 2011 00:53 |  #14

Wow, you really are getting the shaft from these clowns, sorry to hear. Canon service has been nothing but terrible for me as well.

2020: New Year, New Decade, NO G.A.S (Yep, we're giving it another shot!)
Canon/Nikon/Fuji

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 15, 2011 00:57 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

was it the idiots at Canon Virginia?

Gear List

sponsored links

15,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.