Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2011 (Saturday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 15, 2011 00:57 |  #16

That is not rediculous.sorry.it is standard practice, as sad as that is.

They ALWAYS charge you a FLAT fee, typically ~$200-400 depending on model, THEN when they actually open the camera up, they do a REAL assessment of the work needed, and either revise their invoice, or they will refund the initial payment, and then give you an updated invoice..which is what happened..

This is not really that bad. Every experience I have had with repair centers(always use the Virginia location myself) has been perfectly acceptable.
I am sorry you feel you are getting hosed.
The price of $895 is probably only for one or two parts!!NOT the whole camera. You really need to find out what their most recent assessment says is "wrong" with your cam....
I bet it is the CMOS assy, and possibly the shutter and main PCB, or just the shutter and sensor.
Actually...it could just be the sensor..

More than likely, they will return it saying "Beyond Economical Repair"....
At that point, your options will be few...

Sorry to hear about your experience!!

Good luck!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

sponsored links
5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 15, 2011 01:03 |  #17

Strange.
I have had absolutely awesome service from Canon. I believe if you call them when you get back to town (though it is a 1 800 number) this will be easily resolved.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/ (external link)

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 15, 2011 01:04 |  #18

My unscientific survey seems to show VA is the center to ship to.

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 16, 2011 21:37 |  #19

Update: I contacted Canon and told them I did not want the most recent quote and instead wanted what was originally quoted. This was all done via email since I was in Aruba. Anyway, today I got my new quote! I opened it up expecting to see my $303 quote back... nope.

New quote: $911!!! For the EXACT SAME REPAIR!

Please explain to me, HyperCams, how the same repair goes from free to $303 to $895 to $911? All I wanted was the stupid mirror fixed!

I genuinely believe that if I had never sent that camera in for the mirror fix I'd be using it for another 2-3 years without any problems. Maybe even more. Now I'm seriously worried they'll return it non-functional if I turn down the repairs and I'll have a worthless paper weight.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2011 22:08 |  #20

PeaceFire wrote in post #12423324 (external link)
Please explain to me, HyperCams, how the same repair goes from free to $303 to $895 to $911? All I wanted was the stupid mirror fixed!

I genuinely believe that if I had never sent that camera in for the mirror fix I'd be using it for another 2-3 years without any problems. Maybe even more. Now I'm seriously worried they'll return it non-functional if I turn down the repairs and I'll have a worthless paper weight.

Damn glad I listened to the tech a couple of months ago when I called about getting the mirror fix for mine. In a nutshell, she talked me into waiting until it actually fails before sending it in.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 16, 2011 22:16 |  #21

D Thompson wrote in post #12423470 (external link)
Damn glad I listened to the tech a couple of months ago when I called about getting the mirror fix for mine. In a nutshell, she talked me into waiting until it actually fails before sending it in.

Very, very smart move on your part.

At this point I'm guessing they're going to push me to do the loyalty program. But they don't have the 5D on there and I really need a FF camera and can't afford another 5DII even with the loyalty program.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 16, 2011 22:27 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

if the camera still "worked" tell them to return it

Gear List

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 16, 2011 22:32 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #23

That's AWFUL! Ticks me off just reading it - sorry to hear all that :( You could get a used Canon Dc for just about 100 bucks more - that's BRUTAL.

Dang ... well at least I know why it's taking so long for me. I didn't know Canon's service was so awful - I sent in my 35mm f/2 because the autofocus broke - it has been almost 3 weeks and nothing. Not expecting the best now ...

Anyway, hope you can get this figured out =(

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

DelBoy2181
30 posts
Joined May 2011

May 16, 2011 23:02 as a reply to  @ emelvee's post |  #24

I'm new to all this as a recent owner of a Canon, and my sympathies go out to you, but what I don't understand is what they have to gain by of giving Canon a bad name?

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,065 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 23:14 |  #25

I would just tell them to do the mirror fix and send you back your camera. Screw the shutter, wait until it goes out.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 17, 2011 00:07 |  #26

I really don't understand. Is this something that is going on at Canon in Cali?

Do you have emails stating the prices and they keep changing? This seems unacceptable and like I said before, you should speak to a manager and get a complete explanation.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 17, 2011 00:28 |  #27

PeaceFire wrote in post #12423324 (external link)
Update: I contacted Canon and told them I did not want the most recent quote and instead wanted what was originally quoted. This was all done via email since I was in Aruba. Anyway, today I got my new quote! I opened it up expecting to see my $303 quote back... nope.

New quote: $911!!! For the EXACT SAME REPAIR!

It's about time you flicked the head of Canon USA an email.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

JustinRageth
636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 17, 2011 00:35 |  #28

i havnt had to send anything to canon yet, knock on wood, but i had an issue with my panasonic tz5 p&s . I shipped it via ups with signature required. When it arrived i knew it arrived because of the tracking, and i gave it a day for them to email me saying they sent me a replacement. 2 days later and nothing. So i call. The lady says there is nothing in their system and told me to try later. I call every day and get the same runaround. She even says that they dont have any record that it arrived! So i gave her the tracking and she saw that it was signed for by someone in their receiving department. I call everyday for 2 weeks, and get the same bs even talking to managers, finally I got replacement in the mail with them seemingly never receiving the original! Although it is only a p&s it is an expensive one, at $450. Customer repair centers for every company are crap! They dont care about fixing their products once they malfunction, they only care about selling it to you in the first place!

T4i Gripped, Sigma 17-70mm, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm 1.8
Panasonic TZ5
Flicker (external link)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2011 00:40 |  #29

1. get yourself a google voice number and gmail account. you can be anywhere in the world and call the US for free.

2. sending you a pm w/ an email that will get business taken care of.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2011 00:59 |  #30

this sounds incredibly iffy. My friend used canon repair a few times and never had this issue. I would call canon when you can and explain to them that the camera you had sent in was in fact working. If you are sending in a broken camera to get a shutter fix (not sure why you are doing that) then maybe they had assessed the cost of rebuilding it back to it's specifications.

very unusual situation

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links

15,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.