Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2011 (Saturday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 17, 2011 13:14 |  #46

Paul,

He didn't send it in for a new mirror box. The 5D had a product recall issued by Canon because of the mirror falling out under humid conditions. Something about bad glue. All 5D owners can send in their body to Canon to have the mirror reinforced to prevent it from falling out.

OP just got a crappy roller coaster ride once it happened.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

sponsored links
Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 17, 2011 13:27 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #47

At the onset of this thread it was mentioned the shutter replacement was only "suggested" by Canon. Although the shutter may have a lot of miles, what Canon stated doesn't mean a shutter failure will happen tomorrow or the next day, it could still have a fair amount of life left. If it were me I'd have the mirror fix done only and take my chances with the shutter failure later. When and if it fails then decide on repair or CLP for a refurb if they're available. Hopefully if they just do the mirror fix you get back a working camera like you sent in.

I had my 5D mirror fix done a few years ago. When they (NJ) did it, they replaced the focus screen and sent the old one back with the camera. Not sure if the old screen was damaged as it still looks OK.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,161 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 17, 2011 13:37 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #48

At least when I took my body to Canon (Australia) they warned it would be 6-8 weeks. (to replace a stripped tripod socket in 1D)
I asked if I could prepay for parts then bring in later to reduce time - they would not even consider it.

Dave
Image editing OK

dawnkyung
948 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 17, 2011 14:24 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #49

I had a great experience with Canon NJ - shipped my 5DC off for the mirror fix, they had it back to me in a week - cleaned the sensor and checked for other issues (found none).

It really sucks that you've had such a terrible experience! Hopefully it gets straightened out. Just wanted to toss my own positive experience into the mix.

dawn | 29 | gear

nhglamour
154 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2011 15:23 |  #50

I am sorry that you have to go through this process where customer service quality doesn't match the price of the product.

I had to deal with Canon service center a few times myself. The manager at the particular location wasn't too competent in resolving issues surrounding the product I sent it. I had to write several letters (black letters on white paper) and send them to several high ranking Canon USA officers. It was necessary to escalate the situation. I got a call of Canon customer service few days later from their HQ.

Even after I sent the problematic product to Canon HQ and had the master technician worked on it several times, they still couldn't fix it. I had to take tons of images to show that the problems still existed after several repairs done by the master technician. So they offered me a product I wanted with discount and some other extra goodies.

When it comes to customer service and consumer rights, you need to do everything you can get the service and product you deserve after you paid big bucks for it. If you don't make some noise to the right people, the lower level management will ignore you so they make themselves look good to their superiors.

5D3 with grip | 7D with grip| 24-70 f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM | 100 f2.8 L IS USM Macro | 24 f1.4 L USM II | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T* ZE | 600EX-RT | 580EX | ST-E3 | ST-E2

texasred
472 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

May 17, 2011 16:04 as a reply to  @ nhglamour's post |  #51

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I have tried to call Irvine Repair Center and all I can get is their call center. My Mk IV came back from Irvine with a big scratch to bare metal above the view finder and all they can say is send it back. I know part will have to be replaced. They can't tell me if part is available or how long it will take, just send it back. I think their customer service SUCKS.

http://billrussell.zen​folio.com/ (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,966 posts
Gallery: 310 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2011 16:15 |  #52

^ To each, their own I guess... I'm on the other side of the spectrum, texasred, with CPS (Irvine)... Their CSR's DO NOT SUCK!!!

:)

edit: With regards to the OP's 5Dc mirror problem recall... I had the same issue fixed when I had my 5Dc... Dropped off and fixed by CPS (Irvine)... I got it back to me after a few days; fixed, sensor cleaned, and thorough inspection to make sure it was up-to-spec...

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2011 16:16 |  #53

You OKed work on the basis of a $300 estimate. If they can't come reasonably close to that figure, decline, request the mirror fix and be done with it.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

May 17, 2011 16:18 |  #54

OP - that does suck. giving you the runaround would really infuriate me as well. its like taking your car in for an oil change and they quote you an amount to do an engine flush and next thing you know, you're being quoted for a new engine.

granted, I personally have not had any bad experiences with Canon Service in Irvine. I do drop off things for cleaning and calibration, but thats about it. I have not had to use them for any repair or anything like that, so while I have had good experiences with them, the doesnt mean if I send my equipment in for repair that I would automatically get the same treatment (well I hope that I do).

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 16:35 |  #55

dawnkyung wrote in post #12427702 (external link)
I had a great experience with Canon NJ - shipped my 5DC off for the mirror fix, they had it back to me in a week - cleaned the sensor and checked for other issues (found none).

It really sucks that you've had such a terrible experience! Hopefully it gets straightened out. Just wanted to toss my own positive experience into the mix.

I had great experience with the same service center on more than one occasion.

Twice sent things in for repair through my dealer. ( I do this because if I need a loaner ( or a discounted rental ) they know I have the item in repair.

In dealer shipped cases things were back faster than expected.

In the one instance where I dealt with them directly I found them extremely helpful in working out an issue with a piece of gear.

Obviously not all Canon service centers are alike.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,328 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 17, 2011 16:36 |  #56

Unfortunately, when somebody's complaining, there tends to be a pile on which leaves the impression of egregious improprieties on Canon's part. So for a little balance, let me report that I have sent lenses and cameras to Canon's New Jersey facility. They come back fixed in a reasonable time. Faster still after joining CPS. Once, a tele extender was recently out of warranty and they fixed it without charging me.

I'm sorry about your experience, but clearly there was something else wrong with the camera besides the mirror. Perhaps an incipient problem that would have caused the camera to fail the week after you got it back, in which case, we would be reading another irate missive penned by you about the incompetence of Canon Repair. Or the mirror was a symptom of a broader problem. Do you expect them to do a complete repair and only charge for a new mirror because that's what you said was wrong with it?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 17:33 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #57

If you change Canon to Toyota (or any car manufacturer).... I sent in my car to the repair shop for an oil change and they said I need a transmission replaced. :rolleyes:

Hope it works out in the end.

| Canon EOS Systems |

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2011 17:57 |  #58

joedlh wrote in post #12428547 (external link)
Unfortunately, when somebody's complaining, there tends to be a pile on which leaves the impression of egregious improprieties on Canon's part. So for a little balance, let me report that I have sent lenses and cameras to Canon's New Jersey facility. They come back fixed in a reasonable time. Faster still after joining CPS. Once, a tele extender was recently out of warranty and they fixed it without charging me.

I'm sorry about your experience, but clearly there was something else wrong with the camera besides the mirror. Perhaps an incipient problem that would have caused the camera to fail the week after you got it back, in which case, we would be reading another irate missive penned by you about the incompetence of Canon Repair. Or the mirror was a symptom of a broader problem. Do you expect them to do a complete repair and only charge for a new mirror because that's what you said was wrong with it?

For one, the new mirror should have been free. It's a recall that was a mistake on the part of Canon, not I, the owner. When they called me to address the shutter issue the guy did admit that it looked fine, it was just recommended. For only $303, why not? I have that lying around and it's a decent amount to pay to fix a camera that I know personally is a great camera. What upsets me is that AFTER the paid, they suddenly turned around, changed the quote, and are now basically holding my camera hostage. I have requested that I get the originally quoted repair, whatever that may be. It's enough for me. But they won't.

Instead they send me quote after quote, changing the price each time, but NOT sending me back the quote I want. There's no way to go online and accept one quote and decline the others, as soon as they create a new quote you lose the old one.

So no, I do not expect them to do a full repair at a lower cost. I expect them to do the repair I've requested at the what it costs to make THAT repair. And I've never once implied anything else. Good customer service would make a recommendation and explain it, but listen to their customers. They also wouldn't promise FREE SHIPPING as part of the recall repair, and then continue to include a $20 quote for return shipping when it only cost me $10 to ship it to them with $900 worth of insurance! But that's not even an issue I've mentioned until now because it was such a small thing swimming in the sea of bigger things.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 17, 2011 18:17 |  #59

Yeah, you definitely need to talk to a manager. If he's not willing to help you, call Lake Success and talk to the customer advocacy team and they can put pressure on the service center.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,966 posts
Gallery: 310 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2011 18:31 |  #60

Good or bad CPS experience, I truly hope you get your 5Dc settled, fixed, and back in your hands PeaceFire!!! Best wishes and God speed to ya, man!!!

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

15,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.