Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2011 (Saturday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2011 18:33 |  #61

airbutchie wrote in post #12429245 (external link)
Good or bad CPS experience, I truly hope you get your 5Dc settled, fixed, and back in your hands PeaceFire!!! Best wishes and God speed to ya, man!!!

:)

Thank you!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 17, 2011 18:48 |  #62

sorry to hear this, peacefire =/
Im sure you've kept all the emails documenting what you asked for and the original quote...Id be emailing that to a bigwig if you can't get this rectified over the phone.
again, sorry to hear this
hope everything gets worked out soon

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2011 18:58 |  #63

Scary stuff and sorry to hear about all the issues going on (broken toilet seat for instance) but when it rains, it pours. Just think, it can only get better from here. I sent in my 5dii last tuesday priority and I'm one state away (sent to Irvine) and I called at 4PM friday to see if they had received it yet and nothing. I did have insurance on it but it still worried me. I finally got a confirmation that it had been received on Monday night and that it should be back to me within 7 business days. I sent it in to fix an AF point that hunts so hopefully I get it back in the time frame they stated.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 18, 2011 17:35 |  #64

Final follow-up! Now that I could call it really did just take one phone call to get this all sorted out. I think Canon still needs an internet-based hotline or email system to deal with issues like these, but I will say their call center was quick and efficient.

I requested that they just do the mirror repair I initially asked for. I explained that I sent the camera to them fully functional and it's only a back-up wedding camera anyway, that rarely leaves my camera bag. I just want to use it to it's fullest until it dies naturally, and then I will replace it with an upgrade. The technician we had on the line agreed that the camera is not worth the cost of the repair and this was probably the best decision (while also being sure to mention the loyalty program).

I also learned that my fourth quote of $716 was the company itself taking 10% off the cost of the repair for all of my troubles. While I do very much appreciate that, it's still a bit frustrating to get fluctuating quotes every other day with no explanation as to why they are changing. But I do like that Canon made an effort to offer a repair discount for all of these issues.

So hopefully my camera will be on hand with it's mirror replaced and sensor cleaned in a week! What I have learned from this experience is to not send in a camera for repair unless you have a month to wait for it because you never know what may happen, and don't plan to leave the country during that month or have a Skype plan set-up because calling truly is the quickest way to communicate with Canon.

dion-g
22 posts
Joined May 2011

May 18, 2011 17:41 |  #65

wow... scary.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 18, 2011 18:11 |  #66

once again, they ever mention what the $900 quote was for? No way that that was just the price of a new shutter.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 18, 2011 21:10 |  #67

TaDa wrote in post #12436132 (external link)
once again, they ever mention what the $900 quote was for? No way that that was just the price of a new shutter.

Nope. When you get a quote from Canon it's an email where the repair description is to the left and the repair and labor costs are to the right. The description to the left never changed. I'm sure there was more to the repair then just a shutter, but whoever filled in that repair quote didn't bother telling me what it was! I'm sure it was the whole shutter/mirror box unit and whatever else goes into that. But even if that was it there is no way it should cost me $911! I can see the $716 being for all of that and that's reasonable if it weren't such an old camera. But $911 still makes no sense!

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2011 12:41 |  #68

Yeah, it's a shame that they don't fill in the repair details until after they do the repair. I was just wondering if they told you over the phone "So we opened the camera, and the little mermaid popped out indicating salt water damage" or something like that. That's crazy for them to quote you $300 for a new shutter and then quote you $900 without explaining the difference.

I just got back a 40D from Jamesburg that had a blown shutter release. Sent it out on Saturday and got it back today. For $130, they replaced the whole top of the camera, put in a new focus screen and cleaned it and brought it back to spec. This tells me that they didn't just increase their prices by a factor of 3.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2011 12:48 |  #69

this is nuts.. you can get a used 5D for 800 now

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

CyberManiaK
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 19, 2011 17:24 |  #70

thrash_273 wrote in post #12440619 (external link)

Sorry for the offtopic, Could you point me to one???

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 19, 2011 19:56 |  #71

CyberManiaK wrote in post #12442274 (external link)
Sorry for the offtopic, Could you point me to one???

:lol:

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Kyles
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2011 20:18 as a reply to  @ post 12411671 |  #72

It’s not just Canon, my experience with Nikon was horrible, I mean absurd!
Best of luck and please keep us posted,

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 19, 2011 20:32 |  #73

thrash_273 wrote in post #12440619 (external link)

donde?

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

Inqe
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 19, 2011 21:02 |  #74

aaawwwww...crap! I called CPS to get some help with a problem. They fixed it over the phone and then told me I needed to send my 5Dc in to have the mirror fixed. So, I just sent it in a few days ago...a few minutes ago I received the same email telling me I need to have the shutter replaced and it will cost $302.24! I'm really just a student trying to build a business...I've been slowly acquiring gear over the past few years and FINALLY was able to get my FF 5Dc only last summer. NEVER had a problem and the one time I do and I attempt preventative maintenance that is SUPPOSED to be FREE, I get a random email that tells me I need to dole out $300 and now I worry that if I don't, I'll be screwed one way or another. UGH!! I don't know what to do. :(

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

itzmered
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 19, 2011 21:12 |  #75

Tell them no thank you all you want fixed is the Mirror. It sounds to me like they are wanting to recoup some of their cost from fixing the mirror for free

Chris ~
Canon 7d gripped |24 - 105L| Sigma 150 - 500 OS

sponsored links

15,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Repair... I am SO UPSET!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.