Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switch to M9, am I crazy?

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2011 14:58 |  #1

Some background first. I started off in photography with an AE-1 and 50mm f/1.4 and loved shooting with it even to this day because of the manual controls. Looking at my sig, you'll see that I have all L lenses, but for the past year the zooms have been mostly gathering a beautiful coat of dust :p. Even for my photo shoots with models have been shot with only primes. It's just the way I shoot, it feels... right. Perhaps it's due to the fact I started out with a prime and smaller well built camera.

Recently I acquired an X100 and now my 5D2 and 7D have started to get that beautiful coat of dust that the zooms have. I've played with rangefinders before and love it. Granted the X100 isn't a rangefinder but it certainly has the "ethos" of one. I've spent a good few days thinking and reading about the M8 and M9 and it has planted a seed. If I sell all my Canon gear (minus the flashes), the M9 with 35 summicron, voigtlander 50mm f/1, and Leica 75mm f/2.5 is within range AND leave me with some money left over for accessories.

Am I crazy to even think of this? Just wondering what everyone else thinks... although I'm seriously thinking about it I doubt it'll happen. Or will it? :)

EDIT: I should add that my cousin and sister both have the 40D and 20D respectively and access to Canon lenses so I won't be without DSLRs if I do switch and the need arises.

sponsored links
boclcown
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 16, 2011 15:13 |  #2

I suppose if you are strictly a photo enthusiast then you should go for whatever will allow you to enjoy photography the most.

If you have any aspirations of making money from photography, specifically event photography, than I'd say it is pretty much a necessity to be shooting digital with a wide range of lenses - especially your 70-200. Not that you couldn't make money with an M9, but it would be much more difficult.

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2011 15:13 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Does the M8 or M9 still have the Leica look? Comparing to the older M series? You want primes? Get couple of Carl Zeiss lenses and slap them onto your 5d2. The rest is history.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 16, 2011 16:57 |  #4

Not crazy, just have too much money. =P

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2011 18:46 |  #5

boclcown wrote in post #12421109 (external link)
I suppose if you are strictly a photo enthusiast then you should go for whatever will allow you to enjoy photography the most.

If you have any aspirations of making money from photography, specifically event photography, than I'd say it is pretty much a necessity to be shooting digital with a wide range of lenses - especially your 70-200. Not that you couldn't make money with an M9, but it would be much more difficult.

I hope to get into weddings and portraiture but that shouldn't be much of a problem with a RF camera? I don't know...

TooManyShots wrote in post #12421110 (external link)
Does the M8 or M9 still have the Leica look? Comparing to the older M series? You want primes? Get couple of Carl Zeiss lenses and slap them onto your 5d2. The rest is history.

Don't know about the Leica look in the digital Ms. And manual focus on DSLRs are horrid... just my opinion of course :)

chopperdave wrote in post #12421760 (external link)
Not crazy, just have too much money. =P

Haha lots of money but I've spent more on Canon gear :p

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,327 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 16, 2011 19:02 |  #6

Of course, the Leica name and reputation are legendary. Be that as it may, you might want to look at some of the reviews to see if the legend reflects reality. Given the price tag, the http://dpreview.com (external link) assessment of recent digital models has not been laudatory. I used to figure that anyone using a Leica was one cut above everybody else. Now I'm not so sure.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2011 19:50 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

bsaber wrote in post #12422305 (external link)
I hope to get into weddings and portraiture but that shouldn't be much of a problem with a RF camera? I don't know...

Don't know about the Leica look in the digital Ms. And manual focus on DSLRs are horrid... just my opinion of course :)

Haha lots of money but I've spent more on Canon gear :p

Correct me if I am wrong. I believe all Leica bodies and lenses do not support AF...

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

spreeg
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

May 16, 2011 20:00 |  #8

The M9 will be MF only, and if you are used to seeing your framing with a DSLR, you will have to kinda "guess" what your framing is with different lenses on the M9. I know a number of people that have either gone Leica from Canon or added an M8 or M9 to their canon setup. About half hate the M9 and half love it. Honestly, if I were thinking of doing this, I would rent an M9 and a few lenses for a weekend and do extensive shooting, it's a very different feel.

The last guy I talked to said he was switching to a canon because the only way he could ever get a shot of an animal was if it was stuffed.

I have tossed around the idea of an M9 myself, but would use it mostly for street photography or landscapes.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

May 16, 2011 20:14 |  #9

Many wedding photographers carry 2-3 cameras @ once, then you will need 2-3 M9 ;)
Plus Leica lenses...
Then it may take you year or two rather than months to get your investment back.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2011 20:34 |  #10

spreeg wrote in post #12422705 (external link)
The M9 will be MF only, and if you are used to seeing your framing with a DSLR, you will have to kinda "guess" what your framing is with different lenses on the M9. I know a number of people that have either gone Leica from Canon or added an M8 or M9 to their canon setup. About half hate the M9 and half love it. Honestly, if I were thinking of doing this, I would rent an M9 and a few lenses for a weekend and do extensive shooting, it's a very different feel.

The last guy I talked to said he was switching to a canon because the only way he could ever get a shot of an animal was if it was stuffed.

I have tossed around the idea of an M9 myself, but would use it mostly for street photography or landscapes.

I do mainly street photography and photojournalistic kind of work... And street performers...

I bought a Canon>Leica coupler and mounted R lenses on a Canon 5D..

I found it nearly impossible to focus on moving things and half the shots i took were out of focus... It might be easier on a compact Leica M range, but with an SLR's bulky body, it's very hard to hold the camera and manually fast-focus at the same time..

I believe Leica equipment is legendary and their lenses are unequalled for sharpness and contrast BUT they are also way overpriced.. Something to do with it being a small company maybe and everything is beautifully handmade too..

If you really want to blow cash, maybe you should look at the Leica S series.. It's a medium format sensor in a DSLR size body.. And for the first time, Leica autofocus lenses.. Helped by Panasonic i think.. In Europe it's about £20.000 i think... But it's not a range-finder..

You would have a hard time doing weddings with an M camera, other than all the other reasons stated, you would definitely need 2 of them as well.. And lenses to go as too...

The best way i have seen Leicas used in this way is for Photojournalism... In a warzone perhaps.. Than we are talking about a lifestyle change as well.. And leaving your wife/girlfriend..

Maybe it's a crazy idea... Or is it??;)

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,459 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 20:51 as a reply to  @ The Shaheen's post |  #11

Use the DoF scales to pre focus like most of the great street photographers do so you are already focused all ya do is quickly compose and shoot.

Heres what a Canon guy had to say about the M9.
http://www.canonrumors​.com …ica-m9-experience-review/ (external link)

The M9 is my next camera.

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2011 21:10 |  #12

airfrogusmc wrote in post #12423063 (external link)
Use the DoF scales to pre focus like most of the great street photographers do so you are already focused all ya do is quickly compose and shoot.

Heres what a Canon guy had to say about the M9.
http://www.canonrumors​.com …ica-m9-experience-review/ (external link)

The M9 is my next camera.

Very good article...

I was only talking about my experience with a 5D and Leica lenses (R ones, which are heavier than M series).. I hardly could see the DOF scales in front of the 5D bulky body to react quickly...

I own a few Leica cameras, see my gear list... I love them to bits...

If had the money, i would buy an M9, just because it's so small and unobtrusive.. Maybe as a secondary camera... And then i would master the shooting technique... But it wouldn't be for fast-moving objects or sports photography..

I still think it needs some kind of a 'Grip' on the right hand side though.. Just to give the reassurance that you're not gonna drop an art object..

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,459 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 21:39 |  #13

The Shaheen wrote in post #12423170 (external link)
Very good article...

I was only talking about my experience with a 5D and Leica lenses (R ones, which are heavier than M series).. I hardly could see the DOF scales in front of the 5D bulky body to react quickly...

I own a few Leica cameras, see my gear list... I love them to bits...

If had the money, i would buy an M9, just because it's so small and unobtrusive.. Maybe as a secondary camera... And then i would master the shooting technique... But it wouldn't be for fast-moving objects or sports photography..

I still think it needs some kind of a 'Grip' on the right hand side though.. Just to give the reassurance that you're not gonna drop an art object..

Not sports but with pre focus is killer with fast moving subjects, just ask Cartier-Bresson. ;)

And if you are thinking resale a few years down the road what'a ya think will be worth more money? The canon stuff or the Leica?

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2011 22:26 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #14

Thanks for all the input and lots of good points. And in HS I used to shoot sports with a 135mm on the AE-1 so manual focus speed isn't an issue for me :)

I've also been considering getting an Epson R-D1 to see how the transition goes but can't find any on the used market. I've played with rangefinders before so it's not completely new to me and loved the experience.

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2011 22:27 |  #15

Also as Allen mentioned pre-focus is your best friend with manual focus cameras ;)

sponsored links

13,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switch to M9, am I crazy?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.