Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 03:41 |  #181
bannedPermanent ban

rhys216 wrote in post #12474818 (external link)
I know you have only recently learned that polycarbonate isn't a metal and all, but maybe you could tone down the science lessons a little as I don't think listing all those planes and helicopters are really needed, the latter part about the hard coating was interesting though.

I was only making a point on "carbon/epoxy parts" that the military use today. Because Nikon is going to replace their Magnesium alloy cameras with carbon body do you know.

Gear List

sponsored links
rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 03:44 |  #182
bannedPermanent ban

CanonEOS wrote in post #12474869 (external link)
Nikon is going to replace their Magnesium alloy cameras with carbon body do you know.

No I didn't know, do you have a source?

CanonEOS
700 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 04:00 |  #183
bannedPermanent ban

rhys216 wrote in post #12474877 (external link)
No I didn't know, do you have a source?

It was said here in China.
Nikon seems to considering a change on its DSLR camera structure, also. Nikon will replace the usual magnesium make of pro-level DSLR cameras into new specialized carbon-fibered ones soon

Gear List

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

May 25, 2011 04:49 as a reply to  @ CanonEOS's post |  #184

Carbon fiber may be a poor choice for a camera body in that it has strength in only one direction.

Look at a collision involving a formula one car--the panels that provide incredible strength with the weave of the fiber shatter into small pieces when the fiber is struck on edge.

In Military applications the heavy duty work is still done by metals.

I've yet to see a Glock with a plastic barrel or a fighter with a plastic motor or landing gear

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2011 05:13 |  #185

dave kadolph wrote in post #12474998 (external link)
Carbon fiber may be a poor choice for a camera body in that it has strength in only one direction.

Look at a collision involving a formula one car--the panels that provide incredible strength with the weave of the fiber shatter into small pieces when the fiber is struck on edge.

One wonders why they can't use layers of CF, each with the weave perpendicular to that of its neighbours.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 25, 2011 05:19 |  #186

Whats so funny is all we are talking about is a camera FFS not a gun or a jet fighter or a helmet just a camera its only a camera!

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 05:21 |  #187
bannedPermanent ban

hollis_f wrote in post #12475040 (external link)
One wonders why they can't use layers of CF, each with the weave perpendicular to that of its neighbours.

Like plywood...

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 05:59 |  #188

I've never broken a Canon camera body made of metal.

Though I do recall a few decades back cracking the plastic outer body of a Canon DSLR over and around the prism housing of the viewfinder.

James ­ Emory
857 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 25, 2011 07:13 as a reply to  @ post 12427296 |  #189

I feel that the 60D is a fine camera, just not worth the asking price. When I went to upgrade my 20D, my choices were between a new 60D or a used 40D. Since I'm not into video, I chose the used 40D and never looked back.

James Emory
Olympus E-PL2, VF2 Electronic Viewfinder, Olympus lenses; 14-42mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm, Manfrotto monopod, Slik U212Tripod, Canon Pixma MP990 Printer, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer.

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 08:32 |  #190

hollis_f wrote in post #12432998 (external link)
I think Canon's product map is more like...

QUOTED IMAGE

Win.:cool:

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 10:05 |  #191
bannedPermanent ban

A more accurate version...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 11:23 |  #192

Ebwly wrote in post #12472407 (external link)
I guarantee you that your 'plastic' pro weather sealed camera wont be very weather sealed when it is dropped and there is a crack in the case as opposed to a camera made out of metal that isn't as hard to break. Thats the whole point of metal, to protect the weather sealing. you will never find a weather sealed plastic pro camera on the market. Sry to dash your hopes.

its not going to matter if its weather sealed becuase it isn't going to work.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2011 12:32 |  #193

dave kadolph wrote in post #12474998 (external link)

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? They've figured out how to make just about every part on a bicycle out of carbon. If you submit your camera to even 1/2 the stress a carbon frame gets on a casual ride, then you deserve to have a broken camera.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 25, 2011 12:44 |  #194

Ebwly wrote in post #12473872 (external link)
I guarantee you that your 'plastic' pro weather sealed camera wont be very weather sealed when it is dropped and there is a crack in the case as opposed to a camera made out of metal that isn't as hard to break. Thats the whole point of metal, to protect the weather sealing. you will never find a weather sealed plastic pro camera on the market. Sry to dash your hopes.

Actually you are completely wrong here. The EOS 3, a very highly regarded Pro Level SLR, has a body made of polycarbonate. It has weather sealing comparable to an EOS 1N. On a "metal" framed DSLR, the camera body is actually a composite, with a metal framework surrounded with polycarbonate parts. The example of the 7D shows the plastic over the metal frame has failed. The Metal is there to provide a basic framework, not to protect the weather sealing. The same framework can be accomplished with various thicknesses of polycarbonate, as in the EOS 3.

Ebwly wrote in post #12473872 (external link)
there you go better contact canon and tell them they are making a big mistake and they should change their entire camera series to be made of plastic.

You know nothing about that case, how high it was dropped, what surface it hit, etc. You should not just use a single case. I know you were probably emotionally charged by the pic..true tragedy, but IMHO if two cameras one plastic one metal, both dropped I'd rely on the metal one to not break than the plastic one, wouldn't you? If not, email is still there ;-)a

Correct, anecdotal at best, but still it was a metal framed body and it did fail miserably, and unfortunately. I can say I've dropped my EOS 3(plastic) with my 80-200L(most decidedly metal) and they both survived the fall, hmmm. I think a metal framed body (I actually own 4 metal framed bodies right now, I've sold my EOS 3, but not because of the "plastic" body, but because I no longer shoot film) is a comfort to those that have them, but structurally, I don't think it's any better than a polycarbonate framed body. I would happily accept a 1 series body built like the old EOS 3 was, or even a mid model (5D/7D) constructed that way.

As far as surviving a drop, I would actually rely more on the polycarbonate model. Plastics have a lot of elasticity to them. They have the ability to deform quite some distance and rebound into their original shape, without much detriment. Metals on the other hand tend to deform and maintain that deformation in the form of a dent, or twist, or mis-alignment. Metal is certainly stronger as a base material, especially when attaching parts with hardware, but metals definitely have the tendency to keep the damage once inflicted. A tweaked metal frame would render that part of the weather sealing completely ineffective.

Metal deformation is both a curse and a blessing. I would certainly prefer permanent deformation to complete failure, plastics/composites/et​c. have a definite tendency to completely fail when they reach their yield point, whereas metal will deform but remain structurally sound(compromised, but still sound) in most cases. Many many many parts are made of composite materials on aircraft, automobiles, bicycles, cameras, the list goes on and on.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 12:49 |  #195

I'd probably call a 60D, a 60D.

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickr (external link)
www.osephj.com (external link)

sponsored links

19,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.