Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 13:38 |  #196
bannedPermanent ban

I don't think a 60D is a mid-level camera anymore. Not after they released the 50D, which was a first step towards diminishing the xxD line. The 40D was once a flagship camera for professionals/serious amateurs. It was used for everything: weddings, sports, e.t.c. With the release of 50D and 7D almost at the same time, and the lack of major improvements on the 50D body, I personally stopped looking at xxD series as anything but a rebel in a megnesium body. But even then: Canon releases a 60D in a plastic body! Come on. My rebel XSi used to have the same small body as 60D. It is supposed to compete with Nikon D7k. Having owned both, I can tell that D7k is a much...much better camera than 60D in every aspect: high-ISO noise, 39pt AF, body built, e.t.c. 60D is the only winner with a swivel screen. Anyways, it does feel like a rebel. And it acts like one with only few more FPS. Everything else is the same. In fact, I'd consider buying a T3i before I get the 60D.

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

sponsored links
antti-hannes
121 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 25, 2011 13:39 |  #197

Yes. Noob camera.

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 25, 2011 14:08 |  #198

aboss3 wrote in post #12477411 (external link)
I don't think a 60D is a mid-level camera anymore. Not after they released the 50D, which was a first step towards diminishing the xxD line. The 40D was once a flagship camera for professionals/serious amateurs. It was used for everything: weddings, sports, e.t.c. With the release of 50D and 7D almost at the same time, and the lack of major improvements on the 50D body, I personally stopped looking at xxD series as anything but a rebel in a megnesium body. But even then: Canon releases a 60D in a plastic body! Come on. My rebel XSi used to have the same small body as 60D. It is supposed to compete with Nikon D7k. Having owned both, I can tell that D7k is a much...much better camera than 60D in every aspect: high-ISO noise, 39pt AF, body built, e.t.c. 60D is the only winner with a swivel screen. Anyways, it does feel like a rebel. And it acts like one with only few more FPS. Everything else is the same. In fact, I'd consider buying a T3i before I get the 60D.

If you think the xsi and the 60d body are the same size then you maybe wrong about everything else you have said here. The 60D is the same size as the 20 and 30D.

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

mark2009
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2011 14:49 as a reply to  @ post 12477122 |  #199

Official Canon DSLR product roadmap
T1i------>T2i------>T3i------>60D
Rebel--->Rebel--->Rebel--->Large Rebel

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 14:53 |  #200
bannedPermanent ban

megrac wrote in post #12477602 (external link)
If you think the xsi and the 60d body are the same size then you maybe wrong about everything else you have said here. The 60D is the same size as the 20 and 30D.

It was a hyperbole.

But I've owned a 60D as you do now, and I've owned 2 rebels in the past. The plastic feel of the 60D is just not right! 9-pt AF system from 4 generations ago?
But yeah...the swivel screen is what'll get the pro's into buying the xxD series back ;)
Don't you agree? :D

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 14:53 |  #201
bannedPermanent ban

BTW compare it to the 10D/20D.../50D and you'll know what I'm talking about.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 25, 2011 15:11 |  #202

Thats like the Honda Crossover. It's a cross between a SUV and a Sedan and it's not for everyone. That is what I think the 60D is. It has less to offer then the 50D in certain areas but it's but but has more to offer then the T3i. Yea there are areas where it lacks and there are areas where it's great.

It's not for everyone but for the ones that it was made for, it's great.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

May 25, 2011 17:36 |  #203

tkbslc wrote in post #12476985 (external link)
What you talkin' 'bout Willis? They've figured out how to make just about every part on a bicycle out of carbon. If you submit your camera to even 1/2 the stress a carbon frame gets on a casual ride, then you deserve to have a broken camera.

Unless you've seen some that I have not all the points that have severe impact or linear torque have metal reinforcments -headset--crank-set--wheel mounts--seat post--and such. ;)

Torque down a 8 x 1.25 cap screw in a piece of carbon and see what you get--splinters!!

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 18:06 |  #204
bannedPermanent ban

dave kadolph wrote in post #12478735 (external link)
Unless you've seen some that I have not all the points that have severe impact or linear torque have metal reinforcments -headset--crank-set--wheel mounts--seat post--and such. ;)

Torque down a 8 x 1.25 cap screw in a piece of carbon and see what you get--splinters!!

Have to agree!

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2011 18:42 as a reply to  @ aboss3's post |  #205

dave kadolph wrote in post #12474998 (external link)
I've yet to see a Glock with a plastic barrel or a fighter with a plastic motor or landing gear

IIRC a totally plastic handgun is possible and has been developed. For security reasons metal is included in guns like the Glock, so they are detectable at airports, for instance.

Subjectively I prefer the 'feel' of a traditionally built handgun over the Glock. As I said, purely subjective, performance is more than acceptible in both types. A parallel to other equipment maybe? :lol:

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 25, 2011 18:55 |  #206

lonescout wrote in post #12479066 (external link)
For security reasons metal is included in guns like the Glock, so they are detectable at airports, for instance.

You've never actually handled a Glock, have you?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 19:08 |  #207

lonescout wrote in post #12479066 (external link)
IIRC a totally plastic handgun is possible

You use the word 'plastic' too loosely!

Heck, too many people use the word 'plastic' too loosely.

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 25, 2011 19:10 |  #208

its only a rebel if it doesn't have cause...or a clue.
and its only super if it has a cape!

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 19:14 |  #209

From what I have seen the 60D IS a "super Rebel" The ergonomics are horrible for a "prosumer" camera. Compared to the 7D (or even 50D) ergonomically it is terribly inferior. That said.....it's still a good camera for someone who wants something better than a Rebel but not in the same family as the 50D or 7D. It needs some work. The next version should be nice but the first 60D is lacking.

I almost waited for it before buying a 7D and it's been the best decision I have ever made. I used the 60D for a day after owning my 7D for 6 months and I was disappointed greatly by the 60D. If it had been my first DSLR or an upgrade from a Rebel I'm sure I would feel different.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 25, 2011 19:30 |  #210

nate42nd wrote in post #12479228 (external link)
From what I have seen the 60D IS a "super Rebel" The ergonomics are horrible for a "prosumer" camera. Compared to the 7D (or even 50D) ergonomically it is terribly inferior. That said.....it's still a good camera for someone who wants something better than a Rebel but not in the same family as the 50D or 7D. It needs some work. The next version should be nice but the first 60D is lacking.

I almost waited for it before buying a 7D and it's been the best decision I have ever made. I used the 60D for a day after owning my 7D for 6 months and I was disappointed greatly by the 60D. If it had been my first DSLR or an upgrade from a Rebel I'm sure I would feel different.

Thats probably why I don't really see much lack in it since this is my first DSLR. I never used MA so it wouldn't do me too much good. AF video doesn't mean much since when I did video, I always use MF. 5.3FPS is enough for me but I would love the 8fps.
When it came down to it. It was waiting to get the 7D or getting the 60D now and then get a new lens later on or something else. I had enough for the 60D but would have to wait a little while if I wanted the 7D. I also wanted to swivel screen.

Overall, even with the stuff the 60D lacks, I love my 60D.

In the end, it worked out better since it allowed me to have funds for a 55-250mm, 50mm and 430 EXII.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

19,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.