Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 May 2011 (Wednesday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Websites...which one??!

Inqe
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 18, 2011 10:40 |  #1

Hi! Can I get your opinions on various websites? I'm not very happy with my Smugmug...they offer great service IMO. BUT, I do not know HTML or CSS or anything, consequently, I'm unable to customize my site. I've tried to "copy and paste" other people's code from the dgrin group. I rarely get it to work and I simply DO not have time. My domain expires in 90 days and I'm ready to jump to something more "Drag and drop" like Squarespace or even Showitfast (though, Showit is expensive and their services are very difficult to decipher from their website). I don't have a lot of money. So, I'm looking at Zenfolio too. Basically, I need easy, inexpensive and still somewhat unique. I'm also considering a business that's local to Colorado called Tafota.com.

TIA for your help!

Heather

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,610 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 18, 2011 13:28 |  #2

Heather,

I have had a SmugMug account and currently opened another one. If you have questions regarding doing something specific on your site, ask on Dgrin. The response on there are generally gear towards a specific person's request for help. They will help you get it right. Or you can pay someone to do it.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,610 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 18, 2011 15:11 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #3

I'll add to it that you can do alot of customization on your own using the easy customizer.

Here's my site (extremely basic for my family but with room to easily grow it):

http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)

All done through Easy Customizer.

Also, if you use CSS or HTML, they usually go hand-in-hand, meaning there is normally code for both to do one thing. Then some adjustment from there code for their site to yours (like changing colors of text and so on).

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 18, 2011 15:37 |  #4

What about buying a Wordpress design? I've never used SmugMug or Zenfolio so I don't really know what they offer or how their system works, but Wordpress is hugely popular with photographers these days and they seem pretty beginner-friendly.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

May 18, 2011 15:39 |  #5

PeaceFire wrote in post #12435187 (external link)
What about buying a Wordpress design? I've never used SmugMug or Zenfolio so I don't really know what they offer or how their system works, but Wordpress is hugely popular with photographers these days and they seem pretty beginner-friendly.

I agree. My blog is Wordpress and I love how easy it is to use it and it's SEO friendly as well!

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

StockFootageMe
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 18:20 |  #6

I agree with Peace Fire, WordPress is the way to go.

Your ­ Story ­ Photoart
461 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2011 08:12 |  #7

Photobiz has been great to us! their customer service is stellar and the ability to create a totally custom look from their templates keeps you from looking everyone else.

iPhone gripped

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2011 23:40 |  #8

huntersdad wrote in post #12434419 (external link)
Heather,

I have had a SmugMug account and currently opened another one. If you have questions regarding doing something specific on your site, ask on Dgrin. The response on there are generally gear towards a specific person's request for help. They will help you get it right. Or you can pay someone to do it.

That's the bummer part...I ha e asked and asked, but the steps and code I get never work and I get frustrated and give up! :(. Everyone Is super helpful, I just don't get it and can't make it work. Don't have the money to hire one. :(

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2011 23:42 |  #9

PeaceFire wrote in post #12435187 (external link)

I do have wordpress for my blog and have considered them for a site...but, I will have to look further as I don't know their rates n'such. Thanks though!

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 30, 2011 19:03 |  #10

It's a compromise - if you go with something "simple" (I don't know the ones you mention, but I was with BluDomain), then you'll get a nice, easy templating system, but at the expense of features and flexibility.

My BluDomain site looked like a million other BluDomain sites, which looked almost the same as a million other sites. I couldn't change that.

Since moving to SmugMug (and I'll agree, the customizer is more than a little obtuse, and I have also found DGrin hit or miss, as you will with any community site) I've got a site that I've put a lot of time, and energy into - both of which are free, compared to hard cash, and doesn't look like everyone elses, and drives and feels like I want it to.

So, again, it's all going to come down to compromises - pick the direction that works for you, and good luck!

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

garammon
35 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 21:23 |  #11

If you want something thats relatively simple to use i'd have to jump on the Wordpress band wagon as well.

Theres a small learning curve but its not related to coding, its related to knowing where things are in wordpress - (external link) shouldnt take you more than an hr or 2 to get it but once you do you should be flying.

bliss79
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 02, 2011 11:19 |  #12

Your Story Photoart wrote in post #12475452 (external link)
Photobiz has been great to us! their customer service is stellar and the ability to create a totally custom look from their templates keeps you from looking everyone else.

We have loved photobiz as well. Prices are good and customer service, if you need them, is very responsive. It is a flash site, so it doesn't show on all mobile devices, but for a small fee you can add a mobile option.

Your ­ Story ­ Photoart
461 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 02, 2011 23:45 |  #13

bliss79 wrote in post #12522611 (external link)
We have loved photobiz as well. Prices are good and customer service, if you need them, is very responsive. It is a flash site, so it doesn't show on all mobile devices, but for a small fee you can add a mobile option.

Actually you can purchase a mirrored HTML site from them for $25. And you can purchase a version of your site that's viewable on the iPhone/iPad for $25 as well. Helluva deal IMO. Another bonus is that the software automatically knows if the viewers device has flash or not and then pops up the flash or html site.

iPhone gripped

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 02, 2011 23:55 |  #14

I use a Word Press blog as my website and it seems to work pretty well. I downloaded a theme for a couple of bucks and did web hosting though bluhost. I think my website is running me well under $100 a year.

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 07, 2011 15:46 |  #15

These are all such great suggestions and food for thought! Now, I'm off to decide which one.

thank ya kindly!

sponsored links

3,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
Websites...which one??!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.