Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 May 2011 (Wednesday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your CLP Experience for Refurbished Bodies

chrisdscott
40 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2011 11:21 as a reply to  @ post 12436887 |  #16

Seriously, one paint chip on the body? We're not talking about a classic car, these are tools. If they work, then they work. I can't see how anyone would care jack-and-all about the exterior condition. The bodies are built to take a beating, so let them do their job.:confused:

sponsored links
TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2011 12:45 |  #17

Personally don't see why you had to start another thread about the subject. Your experience is not the norm. Canon has told that they'd issue you a full refund, but have no replacements in stock. If you can't live with the chip, have you asked them if you could send it into the service center to have the body plate/lens release switch replaced under warranty? Call customer service and see what they can do to help you.

My 7D came looking brand new. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

Fligi7
THREAD ­ STARTER
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 19, 2011 13:05 |  #18

chrisdscott wrote in post #12440134 (external link)
Seriously, one paint chip on the body? We're not talking about a classic car, these are tools. If they work, then they work. I can't see how anyone would care jack-and-all about the exterior condition. The bodies are built to take a beating, so let them do their job.:confused:

Some people care about the physical condition of their things, as well as resale value. I understand you can't see how someone would care about that.

Fligi7
THREAD ­ STARTER
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 19, 2011 13:10 |  #19

TaDa wrote in post #12440599 (external link)
Personally don't see why you had to start another thread about the subject. Your experience is not the norm. Canon has told that they'd issue you a full refund, but have no replacements in stock. If you can't live with the chip, have you asked them if you could send it into the service center to have the body plate/lens release switch replaced under warranty? Call customer service and see what they can do to help you.

My 7D came looking brand new. Sorry to hear about your situation.

I'm sorry you don't see the difference between me contributing my experience to the CLP thread and me posting this one to get a baseline of everyone's experience with the program. I have called and talked to several representatives to see what Canon is willing to do. They're quite willing to take it back and replace it, which I can certainly appreciate. I haven't asked if they are willing to do that, but I might consider doing so if you think that might be a possibility.

I think people are starting to add their own negative connotation to what I'm posting here, which is unfortunate. This is not a Canon blasting thread or anything purportedly negative, case in point why I refrained from adding any of my own input that could somehow bias the thread in a certain direction until I got a good sample of answers from people. This is a simple feedback thread on people's experiences and what mine has been.

jalajgarg
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2011 10:09 |  #20

So then does it make sense to go for the CLP? My situation is as follows:-

1. I will trade in a SD600 which does not work right now. The repair will cost $70 which does not seem justified for a 6MP camera
2. Ideally I want a T2i with a 28-135 or a 18-135. These are not available in the CLP right now
3. A T2i body from the CLP will cost me $465 after shipping and tax (I get a discount of $130 due to CLP)
4. On ebay, I can get a manufacturer refurbished 18-135 for $310

So, does $775 look like a good price for these specs? A new T2i with 18-135 comes for $960 on ebay. It's a question of $185. Should I go for it?

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 07, 2011 19:08 |  #21

$310 for the refurbished 18-135 is pretty steep considering that tons of people (including me) are selling or have sold brand new 18-135s (from kits) for well under $300 ( I sold mine for $270 I think, never ever used)

jalajgarg wrote in post #12619724 (external link)
So then does it make sense to go for the CLP? My situation is as follows:-

1. I will trade in a SD600 which does not work right now. The repair will cost $70 which does not seem justified for a 6MP camera
2. Ideally I want a T2i with a 28-135 or a 18-135. These are not available in the CLP right now
3. A T2i body from the CLP will cost me $465 after shipping and tax (I get a discount of $130 due to CLP)
4. On ebay, I can get a manufacturer refurbished 18-135 for $310

So, does $775 look like a good price for these specs? A new T2i with 18-135 comes for $960 on ebay. It's a question of $185. Should I go for it?

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

spartan1
39 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 07, 2011 19:29 |  #22

Bought a 60D about 2 months ago. The only way to detect it wasn't new was due to the white box it came in. Never checked the shutter count but that doesn't really bother me. The CLP experience has been excellent and a great way to get a deal on equipment.

--Brooks

Guapo
548 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 07, 2011 23:43 as a reply to  @ spartan1's post |  #23

I received my 7D this morning and I can't tell it from brand new.

- Steven
Canon 7D MkII

Nifty Fifty - Canon 17-55 f2.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8
L IS MkII -

dongnat
175 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 08, 2011 00:28 |  #24

Guapo wrote in post #12722871 (external link)
I received my 7D this morning and I can't tell it from brand new.

Same here

sponsored links

3,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your CLP Experience for Refurbished Bodies
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.