Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GND Buyers FAQ:

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 01, 2011 08:47 as a reply to  @ post 13478705 |  #151

xpfloyd wrote in post #13475684 (external link)
What Lee cpl do you recommend? The 105mm round one or the 100mm square one?

the square lee CP that's 4x4": http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/c/product/216637​-REG/LEE_Filters_PLC_G_​4x4_Circular_Polarizer​_Glass.html (external link)

Am I right in thinking both of these slot into the filter holder the same way the gnds do? Do you think the upgrade kit to allow the cpl to rotate independently is necessary?

the square one goes in one of your slots in the normal holder. Lee foundation kits come with 2 slots "installed" and a third in the package. I've put the third onto my holder and the slot closest to the camera is always used for the Lee CP unless I'm doing 10-stop shots, then I swap it for the 10stopper. The Lee CP is glass though, and I've had one slide all the way through that slot when moving to a new location, so either pull it out when you move or add 2 screws to the bottom of your holder to avoid this:

IMAGE: http://distillery.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2011/08/03/49fbb6a6df3f4ae38c96523a6652ddc8_7.jpg

here's my 2 added screws:
IMAGE: http://distillery.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2011/08/03/4adc71e45ce245f59239ef634feb194a_7.jpg

we also have a thread just about the Lee square CP here: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=883069&hig​hlight=lee

and I also went through the whole CP with NDs thing here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=998032

I've since shot with a buddy who's got the 105mm CP on the front of his slotted holder. He gets vignetting on his 24-70 with that, we swapped holders for a bit one day and it's somewhere in the 20s on a 17-40 where you see the corners go black. That setup simply does not work for landscaping IMHO. I wouldn't bother with the double lee holder for the square one either as you'll inevitably run into that same problem. The issue you have using the setup shown above is that your CP is locked into the same angle as your GND. But in practice it's not an issue at all. No you don't have perfect polarization all the time, but it's been good enough and much better than the other options in terms of how you use it.

and don't worry about asking questions. That's what the forum is about and we've all had to learn it somehow. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,283 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 01, 2011 11:11 |  #152

Ben you are a star mate. Thanks for replying and the additional links. Think ill be going for the Lee foundation kit, square 4x4 CPL, Lee 3 stop hard and Lee 3 stop soft to begin with (all without letting on to the mrs how much it actually costs of course :) )

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 01, 2011 13:30 |  #153

good luck finding them, but at least you're on the right side of the pond...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 01, 2011 21:00 |  #154

so ive just received my filter holder w 77 UWA and 82 rings. Just curious with the 77 UWA there isn't any threading on the ring. Am i missing something? I do not have a lens to test it with at the moment unfortunately.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 02, 2011 07:44 |  #155

flip it over and there's a funny lip on it, the threading is in that "groove".

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

AEImages
113 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 06, 2011 18:06 |  #156

Thank you Ben for this terrific thread. After going through the whole thread, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the following; Lee 77 Adapter Ring, Lee Big Stopper 10-stop ND Glass 100x100mm, Lee Circular Polarizer, Lee Foundation Kit / Filter Holder, Lee Neutral Density .9 Graduated Hard Filter 6x4, Lee Neutral Density .9 Graduated Soft Filter 6x4

I am going to the islands in about 6 weeks and I hope they show up.

What's the longest anyone waited on back orders?

Where you stand depends on where you sit....

Imagine taking a picture of an object traveling at the speed of light...
Gear: Way too much if you ask my wife...but don't ask!

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 06, 2011 19:17 |  #157

Highly unlikely you will get all of that from one store in 6 weeks. You're better off buying certain things from certain places. 2filters.com have stock of GND's are the moment. Places in Australia (vanbar imaging) have filter holders and rings. I know Conns Camera in Ireland have a couple of big stoppers at the moment.

It might cost a little more but if you want everything in 6 weeks that pretty much your only option.

I've heard of a 9 month wait on a big stopper. It all depends on where the stock currently sits on the lee back order list. It is my understanding that there isn't a preferential system but rather whose turn it is next.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

AEImages
113 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 07, 2011 06:14 |  #158

Thanks for the info. 9 months...good lord! I will look into the other resources today!

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 07, 2011 09:27 |  #159

a friend has been on the 10 stop waiting list at adorama since spring. B&H got some in a month ago and he grabbed one from them and is STILL on the adorama waiting list (he's still getting the second one as a spare and or to sell to another friend).

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 07, 2011 17:08 |  #160

The Lee Foundation Kit filter holder is available on eBay for $99:

http://www.ebay.com …m1e691ef7bb#ht_​549wt_1141 (external link)

I just bought one...I hope it's the real thing.

DLitton
855 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 07, 2011 17:40 |  #161

I would be skeptical judyg, but thats just because the person has 14 previous bids, and not even 100% positive. Who knows, maybe its legit :), and I hope it is for your sake. Let us know if it is.

David

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 07, 2011 19:56 |  #162

Yah, I know, I'm somewhat skeptical too. I'll report back when it gets here.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,283 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 08, 2011 11:10 |  #163

Nightmare!!!

I purchased the square polarising filter for £46 delivered 2nd hand as it had a tiny chip on the corner (which would be in the holder anyway). The filter is completely free from scratches etc however I just noticed it says "L PL" in the corner so im assuming ive purchased the linear version. The listing didnt specify and I didnt ask.

Can this be used or does it cause focussing issues?

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

AEImages
113 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2011 17:39 |  #164

I received Lee 77 Adapter Ring, Lee Circular Polarizer, Lee Foundation Kit / Filter Holder, Lee Neutral Density .9 Graduated Hard Filter 6x4, Lee Neutral Density .9 Graduated Soft Filter 6x4. The only thing missing is the Lee Big Stopper. tohara thanks for the 2filters.com tip, it worked. They had all of it in stock, except the Big Stopper. Thank you for all your help. I can't wait to try them out, hopefully before my trip. I will post some ASAP.

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 08, 2011 18:15 |  #165

i am thinking of buying a couple of GND's. Just curious as to what would be good for a starting point? I live on the east coast of Australia so majority of my shots will involve the ocean and a lot of sunlight. I have a big stopper and CPL already.

My first thought was to buy both hard and soft sets. But in reality will i ever use the .6 and .3 filters?

500px (external link)

sponsored links

103,524 views & 3 likes for this thread
GND Buyers FAQ:
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.