Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GND Buyers FAQ:

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 23, 2011 13:12 |  #181

itf wrote in post #13589963 (external link)
I've had a 3 stop hard Lee GND and filter holder, but I have no clue how to use it correctly....... I've read a lot and watched a lot of youtube videos, but the pics aren't coming out as good as I want it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

care to post a pic. its hard to understand what the problem is without an example.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

sponsored links
itf
72 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 23, 2011 14:55 |  #182

daveyboi wrote in post #13590617 (external link)
care to post a pic. its hard to understand what the problem is without an example.

I'll post them after I take some. I deleted all the ones that failed.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,021 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 27, 2011 12:10 |  #183

Love this thread...

:D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 28, 2011 13:53 |  #184

itf wrote in post #13589963 (external link)
I've had a 3 stop hard Lee GND and filter holder, but I have no clue how to use it correctly....... I've read a lot and watched a lot of youtube videos, but the pics aren't coming out as good as I want it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What exposure mode are you using....that may be your problem. I'd recommend using manual. Set the exposure on the portion of the scene that will be covered by the clear section of the GND, ie usually the bottom. Note that you may want that section to be darker or lighter than "neutral" depending on the elements within that part of the scene, so adjust the exposure accordingly. Determine how much brighter the "brighter area" of the scene, usually the sky or snow capped mtn, is......lets assume 3 stops. Determine how much brighter you want the "brighter area" to be in the end product, ie your image......lets say +1 stop. You'd need a +2 GND...the difference between the actual metering and what you want it to appear in resultant filtered image.

To position the GND filter, particularly for newbies, peer thru your viewfinder while dragging the GND down thru its holder WHILE pressing your camera's Preview button. Ideally you'll be at a smaller aperture, ie f-8 or f-11. You'll readily see the line differentiating the +3 portion of the filter from the clear portion. Move the filter up/down and rotate CW or CCW to best position it. Nowadays I principally handhold my GNDs and preview using whatever aperture I'm shooting with...but I've been doing it for awhile.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,292 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 04, 2012 13:21 |  #185

Managed to pick up the foundation kit and the 77mm WA adapter, a big stopper, a 100x100 square CPL (After accidently buyng and reselling a linear version), a 0.9 Hard Grad ND and a 0.9 Soft Grad ND.

Thanks to all who gave me advice. Cant wait to start using it all now.

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2012 15:31 |  #186

xpfloyd wrote in post #13645947 (external link)
Managed to pick up the foundation kit and the 77mm WA adapter, a big stopper, a 100x100 square CPL (After accidently buyng and reselling a linear version), a 0.9 Hard Grad ND and a 0.9 Soft Grad ND.

Thanks to all who gave me advice. Cant wait to start using it all now.

where did you purchase the the stopper? assuming from a uk dealer, right?

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,292 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 04, 2012 15:42 |  #187

Yeah I got it from Conns camera in Ireland. Their site didn't show stock but I just gave them a phone and he had one in his hand. It was with me 2 days later. Haven't used it yet as I'm waiting on my foundation kit arriving

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 05, 2012 04:23 as a reply to  @ Eddie's post |  #188

I got two from Conns Camera in early december. I found out they had some because they tagged lee filters in a tweet.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 05, 2012 08:11 |  #189

let me add this to the thread:

IMAGE: http://distilleryimage8.instagram.com/42f3ee60373811e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

it's the clik elite filter holder. Slightly taller than the adorama one on the left, but not much thicker even though it holds 7 filters -vs- 5. It does NOT have straps on the back to attach it to anything which could be an issue for some. The material on the inside is a nice soft "fleece" almost, so I trust my filters in it w/o anything else. In the adorama one, it's a more slippery nylon (I guess) so I use my lee velvet envelopes in it which makes it bulky. The clik also has clear tab holders at the top of each one so you can label what's where (you supply the labels yourself). It's a bit more expensive, but I've tried the lee 10 filter wallet, the lowepro S&F option, lee velvet envelopes in a TT modular and the adorama option before this, and so far this seems to hit the nail on the head, at least for me.

here's the link: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/c/product/773361​-REG/Clik_Elite_CE725RE​_Square_Filter_Valet_R​ed.html (external link)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,292 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 05, 2012 08:34 |  #190

Nice one Ben, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Was trawling threads there to see what peoples recommendations are. Ill give this one a try.

EDIT: - Cant find a UK suplier of these and shipping from the US is coming in more expensive than the pouch itself :(

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 05, 2012 10:40 |  #191

what's it cost a seppo to drop something in the US mail for you? I know it'd fit in the smallest priority flat rate box, but I don't think the counts to get to you? IE I'd be willing to order one and ship it to you if you paypaled me the cost if it's cheaper that way.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

jmarshphoto
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 05, 2012 11:05 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #192

Awesome Ben, thanks for putting the link to that bag on there. Just what I've been looking for ; )

http://jmarshphoto.com (external link)
IG @itsjordanindeed

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,292 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 05, 2012 15:20 |  #193

jacobsen1 wrote in post #13651159 (external link)
what's it cost a seppo to drop something in the US mail for you? I know it'd fit in the smallest priority flat rate box, but I don't think the counts to get to you? IE I'd be willing to order one and ship it to you if you paypaled me the cost if it's cheaper that way.

Thanks ill check out the costs mate. I purchase things from the US all the time and its never as expensive as adorama and bph are wanting. They are quoting $50 shipping.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 05, 2012 16:17 |  #194

amazon has it too... (but I know there's a UK amazon and they might not...)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2012 14:26 |  #195

jacobsen1 wrote in post #13653049 (external link)
adorama has it too? (but I know there's a UK adorama and they might not...)

There is? Like the Greek Adorama and the Jakarta Adorama, it has nothing to do with us. At all. Only the NYC Adorama is the real McCoy!

sponsored links

103,562 views & 3 likes for this thread
GND Buyers FAQ:
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.