Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GND Buyers FAQ:

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2011 16:53 |  #31

beachbum2277 wrote in post #12478381 (external link)
They all say there's no vignetting but put them on a full frame at 17mm and you'll see what I'm talking about...

I don't get vignetting in that exact circumstance. Of course, fall off on the 17-40mm is so rough I'm not sure I would notice it anyway. :)

(Right now, as I speak, I'm putting the Lee filter on my 17-40mm dry and at 17mm I cannot see the holder coming into frame. When adding the third tier I still do not see the holder. Mind you, this is just looking through the viewfinder. But I'd wager with just 2-tiers on the holder (the way I've always kept it) you won't see a thing. The images I've ever taken with this setup bears it out.)

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links
jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2011 17:10 |  #32

FYI, here's a shot from Sunday using both my CPL and 1 stop soft GND (I actually bought it for making a DIY reverse GND):

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5759641628_2f8fb5c3c8_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/benjacobsen/5​759641628/  (external link)
Spring at Enders Falls (external link) by benjacobsen (external link), on Flickr

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 25, 2011 18:07 |  #33

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12478466 (external link)
(Right now, as I speak, I'm putting the Lee filter on my 17-40mm dry and at 17mm I cannot see the holder coming into frame. When adding the third tier I still do not see the holder. Mind you, this is just looking through the viewfinder. But I'd wager with just 2-tiers on the holder (the way I've always kept it) you won't see a thing. The images I've ever taken with this setup bears it out.)

yeah, i never see it in the viewfinder but they do show up on the photos after you've taken them.

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2011 18:12 as a reply to  @ beachbum2277's post |  #34

beachbum2277 wrote in post #12477457 (external link)
You actually only really need the filter itself. For shorter exposures, I hold the filter right up to the front of the lens. I shoot mainly wide-angle and I've found the holder tends to show up in my images around the edges. You can kind of see in the picture below how I hold the filter.

They all say there's no vignetting but put them on a full frame at 17mm and you'll see what I'm talking about...

the lee holder DOES NOT vignette at 17mm on FF or 10mm on crop with 3 slots FYI... I've owned it and shot with both, it simply does not happen. The cokin does if you set it up WRONG, but if you rework it (2 slots their way, or three in front but with the ring in one of them) it also doesn't vignette. Again, I've used both and shoot almost exclusively at the wide end, and I've never had a problem.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 25, 2011 18:24 |  #35

Bear in mind that the smaller aperture you use, the more pronounced any vignetting will be. If one of you's shooting at f/4 and the other at f/22 under (otherwise) identical conditions, the person shooting at f/22 will be more likely to see vignetting due th the greater DoF bringing the filter holder into "view". Although Ben was at f/19, he was also at 29 mm (on a 5D2).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,578 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2011 18:28 |  #36

Can you explain a little more, Jon? I don't understand how aperture would cause vignetting to show more, since it doesn't affect your field of view. <scratch head>

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

May 25, 2011 18:30 |  #37

Snydremark wrote in post #12478990 (external link)
Can you explain a little more, Jon? I don't understand how aperture would cause vignetting to show more, since it doesn't affect your field of view. <scratch head>

Yes, obviously it has to be in the field of view to begin with. He's saying that if the filter holder is in the field of view and you're shooting wide open, it may not be as visible because it's not within the dept of field of the shot. It would appear blurry.

However, I don't think the Lee holder is in the field of view at all at 17mm, so it doesn't matter what aperture you're shooting at.

Edit: With the wide angle adapter, of course.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2011 18:51 as a reply to  @ thenextguy's post |  #38

Jon wrote in post #12478968 (external link)
Bear in mind that the smaller aperture you use, the more pronounced any vignetting will be. If one of you's shooting at f/4 and the other at f/22 under (otherwise) identical conditions, the person shooting at f/22 will be more likely to see vignetting due th the greater DoF bringing the filter holder into "view". Although Ben was at f/19, he was also at 29 mm (on a 5D2).

that last shot was NOT an example of not vignetting.... it was just a "hey, I'm using filters check out the results" example posted w/o checking what they were saying. I can threadbomb this with examples at both 10mm on crop at f/11~f/16 as well as 17mm on FF @ f/16~f/22. ;)

The lee filter WILL NOT vignette, not with a wide ring. The cokin will if setup wrong, but if you do it right it works just as well in this regard.. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 25, 2011 19:01 |  #39

Snydremark wrote in post #12478990 (external link)

At small apertures the DoF is greater. Not necessarily enough to bring the edges of the filter frame into focus, but enough that it may cause a noticeable impact on the blur. If the edges of the filter are just encroaching on the FoV, you won't see the impact at large apertures with shallow DoF but you will at small apertures with large DoF. Try shooting through a chain-link fence at small and at large apertures and see the difference in how the fencing looks for an example of how it may be a factor.

@Ben - coming after the discussion of vignetting/not vignetting I thought you were posting an example of "not vignetting".

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 25, 2011 19:25 |  #40

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12478021 (external link)
Aren't you worried about scratching the resin? Have you and just don't find the scratches relevent enough to care?

It's easy to remove the slots if you feel it's going to vignette. In my experience with the 16-35 II, it doesn't. :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 25, 2011 19:26 |  #41

jacobsen1 wrote in post #12477006 (external link)
yeah, but they're almost even now aren't they?

Try buying one in Canadian dollars. ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 25, 2011 19:31 |  #42

thenextguy wrote in post #12478332 (external link)
Ahhh....that's why your filter holder gets in the way. I don't believe the Lee kit has any problems with vignetting.

I have no problems either.

I disagree. There's a spacer in the Lee holder that can be removed to prevent further vignetting. Even with that removed it doesn't vignette. I have a bunch of images where I don't see it. Since you have the Cokin, I wouldn't be surprised that you vignette since the build of the Cokin is thicker. The Lee holder is thinner in profile and with the wide angle adapter whether it be 77 or 82, there are no issues. :)

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2011 19:46 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #43

Jon wrote in post #12479160 (external link)
@Ben - coming after the discussion of vignetting/not vignetting I thought you were posting an example of "not vignetting".

yeah, no worries Jon, it totally looks that way when you read the thread in order. My fault, I just hopped in and posted another sample w/o reading what was going on... :lol:

Also, for "right" -vs- "wrong" with the cokin holder, this is what I mean:
wrong (ring in the back):

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/cokin-z/img_2014.jpg

right (ring in the front):
IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/cokin-z/img_2024.jpg

you can also run it with 2 slots in the front and the ring in the rear, but 3 in the front with the ring in one of them (closest to camera) is the best way IMHO.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,578 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2011 20:42 |  #44

Jon wrote in post #12479160 (external link)
At small apertures the DoF is greater. Not necessarily enough to bring the edges of the filter frame into focus, but enough that it may cause a noticeable impact on the blur. If the edges of the filter are just encroaching on the FoV, you won't see the impact at large apertures with shallow DoF but you will at small apertures with large DoF. Try shooting through a chain-link fence at small and at large apertures and see the difference in how the fencing looks for an example of how it may be a factor.

Cool, thanks; I'll check it out :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 09, 2011 07:55 |  #45

bump for the few people I see shopping. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

sponsored links

104,142 views & 3 likes for this thread
GND Buyers FAQ:
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.