Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any advice? Looking at a trip to Europe...

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 19, 2011 15:18 |  #1

As mainly a wedding photographer I'm feeling a little bit burnt out. I love weddings but I feel I'm neglecting my creativity.

So, I'm planning to go into Europe for a week. But I'm out to cover specific areas.

I'd like to do so sweeping vistas, some cathedrals and some astrophotography if the skies are clear. I've the new 17 and 24mm TS-E's and they're begging to be used.

I thought of Switzerland, but the cathedrals aren't that great, Prague and Budapest have been mentioned but I'd like to hear from anyone whose done something similar.

TIA!

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 19, 2011 16:57 |  #2

Split your time between larger cities and small villages (Paris & south of France)

Kevin

Gear List

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 20, 2011 08:21 |  #3

Gel wrote in post #12441600 (external link)
As mainly a wedding photographer I'm feeling a little bit burnt out. I love weddings but I feel I'm neglecting my creativity.

So, I'm planning to go into Europe for a week. But I'm out to cover specific areas.

I'd like to do so sweeping vistas, some cathedrals and some astrophotography if the skies are clear. I've the new 17 and 24mm TS-E's and they're begging to be used.

I thought of Switzerland, but the cathedrals aren't that great, Prague and Budapest have been mentioned but I'd like to hear from anyone whose done something similar.

TIA!

I have not been to Switzerland but I lived in Vienna (Austria) for a month! Lemme tell ya, they have a street called "Millionare's street" and there's a huge 1500's built Cathedral. It's absolutely stunning and gorgeous inside from outside. The cathedral is surrounded by park with benches and little boutique shops. I strongly sugges for you to go to Austria (Vienna).
Vienna is the capital of Austria and it's full of history, historic buildings/monuments and many many many Cathedrals. They range in size and shape and all are gorgeous.

Austrians are friendly and more than half of them speak decent English in case if you get lost. I advice to have an electronic dictionary/translator with you. Native language is German.

Vienna is one of the cleanest cities I've ever seen and on of the quietest. I loved to to watch the sunrise and how light was shining through art deco glass in Cathedrals.
When I was there, I was only 15-years-old with no money and back then I was not addicted to photography. So I don't have any images to show you but take my word for it, if you want to shoot Cathedrals, Austria (Vienna- the capital of Austria) is the place to visit.

Also you can hop on a train from Vienna and just take a few hours to go to Paris (France) or to Greece or to Rome (Italy). I love how in Europe just takes a few hours by train to go to another country. My friend traveled in one day from Greece to Egypt by train in less than 6 hours.

Well, best of luck to you on your photoshoot. Europe is beautiful every single country.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

nordlysBW
363 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 20, 2011 12:18 as a reply to  @ alexdesign's post |  #4

For cathedrals, the UK would be my first choice. If in doubt browse through that site for starters:

http://www.paradoxplac​e.com …DIEVAL_ENGLISH_​CATHEDRALS (external link)

Many in a pristine state or finely renovated. Wells, Peterborough and Bath Abbey rank as my favourites.

But then again you might wish to look at others abroad of course.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 20, 2011 13:42 |  #5

My only concern with this approach is the draconian 'no photos' policy here in the UK.

I was in France this week walking around Coutance Cathedral... I was the only person there and was snapping away happily.

Chris Giles Photography

nordlysBW
363 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2011 11:13 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #6

I had not given any thought to these restrictive policies, thanks for mentioning them.

Allow me another suggestion. To enjoy more freedom, but there you'll have to get away from stone cathedrals, how about giving Norwegian stave churches a go? The Heddal church is a mighty building and the woodwork absolutely stunning. The wood carvings on the north portal at Urnes are quite unique too. I doubt anybody will prevent you from setting up your tripod there. Hopperstad, Lom, Ringebu, Røldal are worth an extended visit too. The spectacular natural setting in which some of the smaller stave churches are found, as well as the extended Summer daylight hours are a pleasure for any photographer. Plus very few of these sites can be described as crowded, even in the high season.

As to clear night skies, mountainous Norway is one of those great places. Nothing in the way for astrophotography either unless you hit a week with heavy rainfall of course.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 24, 2011 20:47 |  #7

There is nothing like Italy. A cathedral in every city - Rome, Florence, Siena, Pisa, Luca, Venice, Milan, you name it. Plus abbys and monasteries. You are going to have a blast there. In addition, there are small villages, so picturesque that you would not want to leave. It is a photographer's dream.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2011 23:08 |  #8

"Harry Lime: Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

Quote from the film 'The Third Man'

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

boclcown
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2011 09:00 |  #9

France.

http://www.google.com …n&tab=wi&biw=12​80&bih=623 (external link)

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 13, 2011 17:47 |  #10

Siena in Italy is a good base, has some big architecture there, cathedrals etc, Pisa is not too far away with the leaning tower and massive cathedral, San Gimignano to the west is a must visit. Then you can move from Tuscany to Umbria where you'll find Assissi with a plethora of churches and one very famous one, Perugia is also a great town to visit.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

crispin
21 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 04, 2011 04:14 |  #11

nordlysBW wrote in post #12452286 (external link)
I had not given any thought to these restrictive policies, thanks for mentioning them.

Allow me another suggestion. To enjoy more freedom, but there you'll have to get away from stone cathedrals, how about giving Norwegian stave churches a go? The Heddal church is a mighty building and the woodwork absolutely stunning. The wood carvings on the north portal at Urnes are quite unique too. I doubt anybody will prevent you from setting up your tripod there. Hopperstad, Lom, Ringebu, Røldal are worth an extended visit too. The spectacular natural setting in which some of the smaller stave churches are found, as well as the extended Summer daylight hours are a pleasure for any photographer. Plus very few of these sites can be described as crowded, even in the high season.

As to clear night skies, mountainous Norway is one of those great places. Nothing in the way for astrophotography either unless you hit a week with heavy rainfall of course.

id agree with the stave church as a subject matter, some truley beautiful old churches in incredible locations. the Trondheim catherdral is also a building that will stop you breathing when you walk in. Norway would offer much in the way of landscape as well, especially the west, although good fun can be had in the forests of the east.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 06, 2011 00:03 as a reply to  @ crispin's post |  #12

My parents told me the Prague is the most beautiful city in Europe, followed by Venice.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 01:13 |  #13

I don't know why people don't like Belgium, which I believe that is most underrate country;
And Amsterdam is well overrate IMO.
Our family usual travel 2-3 countries in Europe for 3 weeks every year, we always go to different cities.
For relax and scenery, the German speaking countries are the best; Spain and Italy are the most exciting places.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2011 01:17 |  #14

im in europe now on vacation for 1 month and have so far went to london, paris, milan, and am going to flourance, rome

here are just a small amount of pictures that i have taken so far from this trip

http://jfricks.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 01:23 |  #15

Many nice shoots from Paris & London.
Need more shoots from Milan, please...

sponsored links

4,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any advice? Looking at a trip to Europe...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.