Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 May 2011 (Saturday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When to use IS feature on lens?

arch.cm
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2011 01:32 |  #1

I was seeing that the IS feature is only good for still objects... basically it helps in case I shake the camera, etc. But, it won't help with moving objects such as wildlife, right? In this case do I have to turn it off? Or is the only case where I have to turn it off when I put my camera on a tripod? I'm just a bit confused... :confused:

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 21, 2011 02:50 |  #2

It's not going to hurt anything for normal shots if you leave it on. People say to turn it off on a tripod but lots of IS lenses detect when they are on a tripod and turn themselves off. I've done comparisons for myself of on vs. off and they are most often identical.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2011 02:53 |  #3

some say to turn it off when using high shutter speeds, I dont really bother. It can help conserve battery if you do turn it off though.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2011 02:57 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #4

Depends on the lens/version of IS. With my EF300 f/4 IS(old IS), i have to turn it off on the tripod.. it just blurs the pic on some of the shots. With the newer implementations, i leave it on. As for regular shots, i leave it on all the time.. doesn't seem to hurt.

Kel
Gear

Damadsetta
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2011 03:01 |  #5

Leaving the IS on slows focus speed, so best to turn it off for wildlife, sports etc.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 21, 2011 03:05 |  #6

Damadsetta wrote in post #12451135 (external link)
Leaving the IS on slows focus speed, so best to turn it off for wildlife, sports etc.

Uh...never seen or heard this

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Damadsetta
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2011 03:12 |  #7

Pretty common knowledge. I definitely turn it off for sports and itnhas a noticeable effect, although I shoot mostly volleyball and need the focus to be super fast.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1035140

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 21, 2011 03:27 |  #8

Damadsetta wrote in post #12451154 (external link)
Pretty common knowledge. I definitely turn it off for sports and itnhas a noticeable effect, although I shoot mostly volleyball and need the focus to be super fast.

Depends on the model of course. Some lenses with IS engaged will still focus faster than other specific models without it. I'd say it depends whether the deviation in focus time is worth it. My 70200II is fast enough in focusing with IS engaged. Even with a fair amount of light in the daytime for birding, I still keep it on anytime I'm handholding. Higher keeper rate. On the tripod, it's off--very, very annoying.

My Gearlist

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 21, 2011 04:30 |  #9

I don't get this whole 'get rid of the IS while shooting anything fast' issue, I think it's wonderful to have IS to nail the framing of the shot! And let's not forget about panning shots, IS is certainly a useful tool when doing that!

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2011 05:40 |  #10

Pretty common knowledge.

Not really, I've never seen it mentioned on these forums before!
Might be true, but its not common knowledge as far as I'm concerned :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,559 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 21, 2011 06:01 |  #11

never switch it on unless i'm shooting hand held still objects or land/cityscapes & the shutter speed drops low.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 21, 2011 06:33 |  #12

Damadsetta wrote in post #12451135 (external link)

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12451142 (external link)
Uh...never seen or heard this

Nope...neither have I.

I wouldn't say it's pretty common knowledge that it slows focus speed - I doubt it has any major effect on focus aside from the millisecond that it takes for the IS to activate.

Katalyst wrote in post #12451266 (external link)
I don't get this whole 'get rid of the IS while shooting anything fast' issue,

I would suggest that's because you obviously don't understand how IS works, or what its primary object is.
The reason it's suggested that IS is turned off when shooting fast moving or erratically moving objects (race cars, football players etc) or objects is because it's not designed to, and is incapable of stopping movement in the subject.
It is designed to eliminate camera shake caused by the user.
Using higher shutter speeds for sports essentially negates the need for IS.

...I think it's wonderful to have IS to nail the framing of the shot!...

and just how does IS help to "nail the framing of the shot"?
IS can't possibly control how the photo is composed.

...And let's not forget about panning shots, IS is certainly a useful tool when doing that!...

Not necessarily.
Good panning technique is going to help far more than IS.
Later lenses with the two modes of IS may assist when in Mode 2, but almost all the photographers I regularly shoot with IS lense with actually have IS off, and some, myself included (with the 100-400L), actually have them taped so that the switch doesn't get turned on.
My 300/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are both non IS models. Deliberately purchased because I don't use IS and didn't see the need to pay for a feature I don't use.
I shoot a fair bit of motorsport and don't seem to do too badly with no IS and frequently pan at shutterspeeds as slow as 1/5sec.

The reason being is as I mentioned above - when using high shutter speeds, IS has no effect (or at best, little effect) because the (usually) faster shutter speeds effectively negate the need for image stabilisation - you are not likely to get camera shake.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2011 06:40 |  #13

philwillmedia wrote in post #12451456 (external link)
and just how does IS help to "nail the framing of the shot"?
IS can't possibly control how the photo is composed.

I find it does, because when IS is on the frame just stops moving around as much, especially with long lenses, which helps you control composition better.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 21, 2011 07:00 |  #14

I know how IS works just fine, and if I use it where other people don't... Does that make me use it the wrong way, or just different? Anyway, I've recently panned some motorsports and I was happy to have IS Mode 2 on it when the shutterspeed were between 1/30 and 1/50... In my opinion, there is no arguing that IS is helpful!

Sirrith wrote in post #12451465 (external link)
I find it does, because when IS is on the frame just stops moving around as much, especially with long lenses, which helps you control composition better.

Exactly, my dad does Triathlon's and IS helps me to get the framing just right by providing a more calm and stable peek through the viewfinder!

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,559 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 21, 2011 07:04 |  #15

Sirrith wrote in post #12451465 (external link)

in that case IS will stop any camera shake. it won't/can't help composition.

philwillmedia wrote in post #12451456 (external link)
Nope...neither have I.

My 300/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are both non IS models. Deliberately purchased because I don't use IS and didn't see the need to pay for a feature I don't use.
I shoot a fair bit of motorsport and don't seem to do too badly with no IS and frequently pan at shutterspeeds as slow as 1/5sec.

i'm thinking about a 70-200 & i would go for the 2.8 over the 4/IS because of the subjects i'd shoot as you've said there ^^

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links

5,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
When to use IS feature on lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.