Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 May 2011 (Saturday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anybody Have Reviews of Impact Lite Trek 4.0?

4jallday
262 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 21, 2011 10:16 |  #1

I am thinking about getting more portable and I think this will do the trick for a reasonable price. Has anybody used them yet???

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=695​135&is=REG (external link)

www.jwnvisualaddiction​s.com (external link)
My Equipment:
5dMrkII,1DMKIIn, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro, Canon 135 f/2L, Canon 50 f/1.8 II, Canon 15 2.8f Fisheye, Canon 580 EX, 5 Bees, 2 Quantum T2's

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,447 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 21, 2011 10:30 |  #2

Why not get Einstein and VML? Will cost <$800. Add your choice of modifiers. Want to save money use AB1600.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

4jallday
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 22, 2011 10:13 |  #3

I have Ab1600. Dont want to haul around my vagabon anymore. 16 lbs compaired to 1 lb.

www.jwnvisualaddiction​s.com (external link)
My Equipment:
5dMrkII,1DMKIIn, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro, Canon 135 f/2L, Canon 50 f/1.8 II, Canon 15 2.8f Fisheye, Canon 580 EX, 5 Bees, 2 Quantum T2's

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 22, 2011 11:58 as a reply to  @ 4jallday's post |  #4

The B&H "Lite Trek" is a severely marked up, re-branded version of the Cononmk DLCD 4.0 (http://cononmk.en.ecpl​aza.net/12.asp (external link)). The same unit appears under a variety of names. Here's the Phottix-branded version: http://www.phottixstor​e.com …ed-400w-studio-light.html (external link). I had an opportunity to test one some time ago. All things considered, it is an impressive unit. Build quality is good, recycling time to full power is acceptable (around 3s as I recall), and battery capacity is enormous. Pop-to-pop consistency was extremely consistent and the power variator was absolutely accurate.

There are several shortcomings to consider: Power variation is in full stops only. Also, the unit uses the Comet accessory mount. That in itself isn't necessarily a deal-killer but it does make things difficult and expensive in the US if you want to use anything other than a softbox/octabox. Another thing to consider is that the flashtube is slightly recessed into the body of the flash so light dispersion in an attached modifier will be slightly compromised. Cononmk does offer a Comet-to-Bowens mount adapter which sounds like a good solution to the accessory mounting issue but, in reality, isn't. Between the thickness of the adapter and the already-recessed flashtube, you wind up with the light source being located at the far end of a short tunnel. This makes the dispersion issue just that much worse than it already is with just the native Comet mount.

Note that David Hobby did a full review of the DLCD 4.0 on his Strobist blog. Among other issues, he identifed very long flash duration as the deal-killer for him. I believe Cononmk has since issued a statement claiming this problem has been addressed but I have no evidence to confirm or refute this assertion.

I have been regularly using a different model Cononmk flash (DD400S) for many months now. This model is unique in that it can run off AC power or ANY 12v battery; no inverter of any kind is required. It has been 100% reliable for me. Generally speaking, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a product from Cononmk. If the Lite Trek does what you need at a price that's palatable to you, I'd say you can buy confident that it will be a quality light.

Despite my endorsement of Cononmk, truthfully, I really do agree that the PCB Einstein + Vagabond Mini Lithium makes much more sense in the US market. The combined weight of the E640 and VML is around 7-8 lbs and the E640 is much more sophisticated and flexible than the Impact Lite Trek 4.0.

Dave F.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,447 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 22, 2011 13:13 |  #5

4jallday wrote in post #12456938 (external link)
I have Ab1600. Dont want to haul around my vagabon anymore. 16 lbs compaired to 1 lb.

1 lb, I highly doubt it, unless you mean just the head. BTW - VML is 3.5 lbs.:D

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Sander-Martijn
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 17, 2011 12:01 |  #6

Hi, I did a series of reviews of this kit. It does have some limitations but some pretty cool things about it too. It won’t replace studio lights but is an affordable option for portable lighting. You can read my reviews here and judge for yourself:
http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …day-1-lighting-monolight/ (external link)
http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …ortable-strobe-kit-day-2/ (external link)
http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …ry-stroboscopic-lighting/ (external link)

Cukas
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 23, 2012 11:24 |  #7

Hi guys! Did anyone try this in daylight? I would like to see some softbox and umbrella shots in daylight if anyone has some to share.

sponsored links

4,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anybody Have Reviews of Impact Lite Trek 4.0?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.