Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 May 2011 (Saturday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is this white spot?

arch.cm
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2011 19:58 |  #1

I've taken several pictures at the zoo today and for some reason there is a white spot that appears in every single one of them... I even used different lenses so it must be the camera... Is this the sensor? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Crop

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

100% Crop
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

On top of this I've been taking the worst pictures ever!!! Grrrrr :mad:

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 21, 2011 20:01 |  #2

Hot pixel, maybe?
Do that "manual cleaning" trick so the camera will map it and you won't have to worry about it anymore ;)

Oh.. by Manual Cleaning trick I mean:

- Take the lens out of your camera and put the cap on the camera directly
- Put a fully charged batter on it
- Go to the menu and activate the Manual Cleaning thing and your mirror will flip up
- Leave it like that for a few minutes
- Turn it off and on again.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2011 20:23 |  #3

Alex_Venom wrote in post #12454304 (external link)
Hot pixel, maybe?
Do that "manual cleaning" trick so the camera will map it and you won't have to worry about it anymore ;)

Oh.. by Manual Cleaning trick I mean:

- Take the lens out of your camera and put the cap on the camera directly
- Put a fully charged batter on it
- Go to the menu and activate the Manual Cleaning thing and your mirror will flip up
- Leave it like that for a few minutes
- Turn it off and on again.

I just tried that and it worked!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a genius!!! I thought I would have to send the camera in to Canon!!!! :D

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 17, 2011 01:13 |  #4

Now that the pics have gone, this thread is totally useless to anyone else.
Why to people do this.
It's so inconsiderate to anyone seeking help with the same problem.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

ChronosMonos
42 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Location: From London England, now living on the south coast of Spain

Jun 17, 2011 01:34 |  #5

here we go, I had the same problem yesterday so made the same pics with the same white dot.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i285.photobucke​t.com …/Chrismonos/IMG​_2064a.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i285.photobucke​t.com …s/ll56/Chrismon​os/dot.jpg (external link)

Hope that helps

@Alex_Venom. Cheers! :D

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 17, 2011 02:02 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #12608214 (external link)
Now that the pics have gone, this thread is totally useless to anyone else.
Why to people do this.
It's so inconsiderate to anyone seeking help with the same problem.

Actually, even with the pics gone I found it to be a very useful and informative thread that taught me something new...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 17, 2011 02:30 |  #7

LowriderS10 wrote in post #12608312 (external link)
Actually, even with the pics gone I found it to be a very useful and informative thread that taught me something new...

That maybe so, however, without Chronos adding his pics just prior to your post, how would you have known what the white spots would have been to look for and what you have been able to compare?
How do you know that the white spots in Chronos pics are anything like the original pics posted in this thread - you don't.
On that basis the original post in this thread is meaningless.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

ChronosMonos
42 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Location: From London England, now living on the south coast of Spain

Jun 17, 2011 06:16 |  #8

Of course... we could just base the information on my pictures since it also has a white spot that was cured with the same solution.
So if you do have the problem that my pics show then Alex_Venom's method works for that! :D

...Maybe Arch.cm will be able to clarify that it was the same type of white spot on my pics as on his. :)

psyber_0ptix
81 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 17, 2011 07:25 |  #9

I was wondering about this, as i once was pixle peeping on the camera. I thought that there were definite dead parts of the sensor, but i'm glad there is a seemingly easy fix for it.

definitely informative

sponsored links

2,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is this white spot?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.