Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 May 2011 (Saturday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

make subject "blend" with the background

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2011 20:55 |  #1

So when I show this picture to my friends, they think it was taken in a studio, but it was not! I know I should've used smaller apertures, but I don't think I'll be going there again anytime soon. So, what could I do in Lightroom to make the subjects blend more into the background? In other words how do I really convince the viewer that it was not taken inside a studio?

I tried playing around with Contrast and Clarity but it didn't help much..and I shoot RAW by the way.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5744956504_6b1d83201f_z.jpg

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,686 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 21, 2011 21:50 |  #2

I guess you need to warm up the white balance of the background to match the warmth of the subjects. It's the colouring that makes me think the subjects are pasted in.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,686 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 21, 2011 21:56 |  #3

Are you also asking about blurring the background? It is possible to vaguely mimic the effect of smaller aperture, but in a way I think it would be a shame to blur the iconic Hollywood sign.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 21, 2011 22:35 |  #4

looks real to me.

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 22, 2011 00:35 |  #5

The biggest problem is the haze -- in the LA basin you don't have to be very far away from the Hollywood Hills or from the downtown skyline to get the hazy look, which, as you can see, has a whole different "tone" from the people in the foreground who are being so nicely lit by the sun without the haze:)!

To really deal with this you really would want to do some selective work on the background to cut down that hazy look -- some contrast adjustment and whatnot.

What software do you have? Photoshop Elements will have tools you can use.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Big ­ Apple ­ Photography
Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 22, 2011 00:35 |  #6

If it was taken in a studio shame on the one who took it... But the lighting of the hills confirms that it was taken outside... I would select the kids, layer via cut, work on the bck...

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

sponsored links

1,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
make subject "blend" with the background
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.