Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 May 2011 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why are some people paranoid about cameras?

arch.cm
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2011 15:22 |  #1

I decided to practice taking some bird pictures on the terrace of my home (I live in a city where homes are really close together). As I was taking some pictures I suddenly notice someone right across the street was just STARING out of the window and looking at me.... I was like... ok... freak (I wasn't even pointing the camera anywhere near her). I kept on taking pictures, discretely looked over and she was still looking... I mean... people think they are so important that I'm gonna want to be taking pictures of them in their home doing whatever... It was just annoying. I was getting the "would" factor.... I wish this &#%&! would come over and complain lol.

Anyway, has this happened to anyone?

On a sidenote: Actually, about a month ago my husband was taking pictures of this old abandoned building near my home and some guy starting yelling at him saying that he was taking pictures of him (when he wasn't even pointing the camera at him) and just followed him and called the cops on him lol, how ridiculous!!! Maybe it's the people in this neighborhood! I'm living in Argentina by the way... and supposidly taking pictures in public is legal.

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 23, 2011 16:21 |  #2

Insecurity
Paranoia

Valid caution about suspicious activities
Prior experience at being robbed

Imagine all of those same issues even to a greater degree for a male, not from the neighborhood, engaged in the same activity as you were in your own home area!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2011 16:29 |  #3

Your observer might have been simply curious about seeing a neighbor with a big (to them) camera and about what you were shooting at. Give them a wave next time, the worst would be they don't wave back or better they wave back and find out they are into photography also.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2011 16:43 |  #4

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #12465097 (external link)
Your observer might have been simply curious about seeing a neighbor with a big (to them) camera and about what you were shooting at. Give them a wave next time, the worst would be they don't wave back or better they wave back and find out they are into photography also.

Yeah, I'd like to think the positive way, but she wasn't giving the curious look, it was more like the, what the heck are you doing look... :confused:

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2011 17:08 |  #5

I honestly don't even see the other people when I'm shooting. I get tunnel vision and the only thing I see is through my viewfinder. I shot a model a few weeks back on the water front where bikers and joggers go and I was completely in the way and didn't even notice until I was done shooting at that spot.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2011 17:31 |  #6

Thats one of the most distracting things I face when shooting. I hate being watched, especially when it goes on for a long period of time without an explanation of why or some kind of interaction with the gawker. If I am in a public place, I just try to ignore them. But it is hard and I find myself working faster to get out of there.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 23, 2011 17:51 |  #7

arch.cm wrote in post #12465199 (external link)
Yeah, I'd like to think the positive way, but she wasn't giving the curious look, it was more like the, what the heck are you doing look... :confused:

Maybe she couldn't figure out why anyone would want to take pictures of birds? Who knows. Just wave or nod to acknowledge them or just ignore.

| Canon EOS Systems |

tommayor
56 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 24, 2011 02:16 as a reply to  @ Blurr Cube's post |  #8

she might of been a Nikon shooter and after seeing your Canon gear... was awe struck!

Canon 50D Gripped / Canon 100-400 L / Canon 24-70 L / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 60mm Macro / Canon Speedlight 430EX ii / Jessops 360AFD Flash units X2

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 24, 2011 02:19 |  #9

Maybe she was just totally bored crapless and you were an interesting diversion to stare at.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,546 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 24, 2011 03:51 |  #10

I'm curious as to how you think anyone knows what you're taking pictures of? Did you smile & wave?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and an M5, along with a M6 destined for 720nm
TF posting: here :-)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 24, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #11

She was probably a POTNer and was wondering if that was the new 70-210 IS or not and you are just being a little paranoid about why someone would wonder such a thing. :)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2011 10:37 |  #12

arch.cm wrote in post #12464743 (external link)
Anyway, has this happened to anyone?

On a sidenote: Actually, about a month ago my husband was taking pictures of this old abandoned building near my home and some guy starting yelling at him saying that he was taking pictures of him (when he wasn't even pointing the camera at him) and just followed him and called the cops on him

LOL.

I was out in a large open field near my home with my telescopes taking astroimages of the night sky, when the County Sheriffs Deputy pulled up with bright lights and spot light blaring on me and my telescope equipment.
Once he realized what I was doing he turned his lights off. Then he came to me and explained that he was dispatched to investigate a man loitering and spying on someone in their house with an enormous size spy lens. He got a good laugh out of it, but I wasn't really amused since I was shooting with film and he had ruined the shot.
I saw him pull up to a house just north of the field and saw who it was that called the law.
What is truly ridiculous about it, if the person would have looked closer they would have seen the telescopes were aimed upward toward the sky in the opposite direction from their house.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 24, 2011 13:46 |  #13

tkerr wrote in post #12469602 (external link)
LOL.

I was out in a large open field near my home with my telescopes taking astroimages of the night sky, when the County Sheriffs Deputy pulled up with bright lights and spot light blaring on me and my telescope equipment.
Once he realized what I was doing he turned his lights off. Then he came to me and explained that he was dispatched to investigate a man loitering and spying on someone in their house with an enormous size spy lens. He got a good laugh out of it, but I wasn't really amused since I was shooting with film and he had ruined the shot.
I saw him pull up to a house just north of the field and saw who it was that called the law.
What is truly ridiculous about it, if the person would have looked closer they would have seen the telescopes were aimed upward toward the sky in the opposite direction from their house.

Some people are just plain stupid lol

Full Gear List

sponsored links

2,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why are some people paranoid about cameras?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.