Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Testing Your New Lens

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 18:47 |  #1

Hey everyone :)

I'm new to DSLR and just starting to buy equipment. As my budget is pretty small, making good purchases is pretty important to me. Before I invest in equipment I read a ton of reviews... so much so I can get a bit overwhelmed at times. After reading some reviews or various lenses I see that some people get "good" copies and some don't. It looks like most retailers/manufacturer​s are pretty good about exchanging the "bad" ones.

When you first get your lens is there a series of tests or checklist that you do to determine if your lens is good?

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2011 18:54 |  #2

Go out and shoot and come back and review. If there's a real reason that they're not the way they're supposed to be (IE too slow of a ss or over/under exposing or even missing focus due to user error) then you can trouble shoot from their and see what the issue is and if others are experiencing the same. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here and there's a good chance that if you get a problem with a lens, someone else has too and has posted all about it and the resulting fix for it.

Don't go crazy though or else you will never be happy with it. There's a fine line (especially shooting with primes) that can easily be crossed into obsessive pixel peeping. I'm having an issue with mine but I went out and shot with it first then diagnosed from there. I didn't go into it thinking there would be a problem. Ohh and welcome to POTN!

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 24, 2011 18:56 |  #3

My testing is to go out and take pictures with my new lens. Lots of pictures. If your are happy with the results then end of testing. If you're not satisfied with the results then post some examples here in the forum. In most cases it's user error that is generating bad results, not a bad lens.

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 19:07 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #4

:) thanks for the welcome and the common sense. I definitely don't want to become one of those that blames the equipment for their own shortcomings/inexperie​nce. I guess the reason I'm thinking a checklist would be a good idea is to save time on finding faults and quickly make an exchange vs finding a fault during an important photo moment or right before one and missing out. (also being broke can sometimes make buying stressful... reassurances help take some of that stress away)

cueball
506 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 24, 2011 19:15 |  #5

Just go out and shoot. I have driven myself crazy at times playing around with focusing charts and static objects checking for sharpness. Honestly, it was stupid of me to even get caught up in the craziness of reading some of the threads on here. It's when I go out in the real world (I know, scary) and actually shoot that I realize my lenses are good to go and 95% of my errors all come back to me as the user. The only reason I knew something was up with my 1D3 was because of all the great shots I've nailed during real world shooting with my 40D.

Living room "testing" just doesn't compare. This type of shooting should be avoided unless your consistency as a photographer has suddenly changed while using a specific piece of gear, or you can honestly rule out the main variable behind the camera as being the primary issue. Go out, take pics, bring them back home, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Wait for problems to present themselves to you, don't seek them out.

Canon: 5D Mark IV, EOS R, 35 f1.4L II, 85 f1.4L IS, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 100 f2.8L IS Macro, 2X III, 1.4X III, 580EX II, 430EX
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …=12723614&postc​ount=27889, https://photography-on-the.net …=13303433&postc​ount=30051

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 24, 2011 19:16 |  #6

Shoot, shoot , shoot. You should be able find it's strengths & weaknesses. Even the best lenses have weaknesses, find it's strengths.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 19:58 as a reply to  @ Tapeman's post |  #7

thanks! I guess I have gotten caught up with reading too many reviews and feeling that new buyer anxiety. You can read about something a million times but it's the actual doing that makes the difference. I also need to keep in mind that most of these lenses have pretty great warranties as well. For me each purchase is a big investment in myself. I'm still learning. You know, I'd still like to have equipment that I can trust in. So when things don't turn out quite right I know it's user error ..lol

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 24, 2011 20:33 |  #8

Personally I think the percentage of actual "bad" lenses is probably minuscule. It's just with digital we have the ability to scrutinize things way too easily and at a magnification level that we never really thought of in film days.

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,794 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

May 25, 2011 01:06 |  #9

Do not take pictures of batteries!

Like all else stated; go outside and just shoot!

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 11:27 |  #10

samefly wrote in post #12472699 (external link)
thanks! I guess I have gotten caught up with reading too many reviews and feeling that new buyer anxiety. You can read about something a million times but it's the actual doing that makes the difference. I also need to keep in mind that most of these lenses have pretty great warranties as well. For me each purchase is a big investment in myself. I'm still learning. You know, I'd still like to have equipment that I can trust in. So when things don't turn out quite right I know it's user error ..lol

haha we're all guilty of doing exactly what your doing and you shouldn't be ashamed of doing it. Don't automatically think it's user error though. A lot of us take ourselves out of the equation by using a tripod and a remote release to test certain things but that's quite a ways down.

If you buy a new car, go out and drive it. If you go into it thinking something is wrong because of X review then you're going to be looking for that problem the whole time. Just enjoy it and if something seems off after you use it then post up your shots with the EXIF and we can help diagnose it.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2011 12:20 |  #11

ni$mo350 wrote in post #12476544 (external link)
If you buy a new car, go out and drive it. If you go into it thinking something is wrong because of X review then you're going to be looking for that problem the whole time. Just enjoy it and if something seems off after you use it then post up your shots with the EXIF and we can help diagnose it.

now that's some great advice :) I'll take you up on the exif posting too.

sponsored links

1,508 views & 0 likes for this thread
Testing Your New Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.