Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon to nikon

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

May 25, 2011 21:19 |  #61

When I first go into SLR shooting, I couldn't stand the sound of the flapping mirror of one popular brand...and loved my Nikon F sound...Now I prefer the 40D mirror thud over the clank of the 30D, which I hated when I traded up from the 10D...but I get over it

...same for my latest golfing driver...I've never really liked its metal-on-ball "click", but the results from this club are the best I'd ever had so I got over it and have kept it in the bag now for 3+ years...a couple of lifetimes longer than most people keep drivers..."sound" familiar?

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

sponsored links
cameraperson
817 posts
Joined May 2010

May 25, 2011 21:27 |  #62

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476817 (external link)
UUhm no troll.

I have never used Nikon. But keep getting suggestions that I should switch over.
So I want to know good reasons not to switch.

Who cares what they say....unless they're right? :D

What reasons do they give? Are they right? Then switch. Are they wrong? Then don't. Is it subjective? Then just shoot what you want and who cares what "they" say. You make up your own mind. It's not heaven or hell. It's okay even if you get it wrong. Try again. Shoot Pentax or Sony next time until you get what you like. Whatever gives you the photography bug and gets you out shooting.

Xsi, 18-55

CyberManiaK
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2011 21:58 |  #63

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476793 (external link)
Someone give me reasons not to switch to nikon.

IMO The only reason to choose one or another is, which body have the features you need, and later see you what features you want...how the body feels in you hands and how easy you get to use it (menus) then see in which brand are the focal's you will need/want and fit your budget. If you are going third party lenses then focus more on the body features/handling/etc.​.

That are the only reasons to stay on one brand, because nowdays every brand have great quality. for example If nikon came right now with a new body with something that fit my needs, I will switch without a problem .. The argument that a lot of people say of losing money doesnt fit with me.. Because maybe i'm loosing more (money or enthusiasm for keep shooting) staying with a brand that doesn't fits my needs anymore..

My .02 cents.

GL

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 25, 2011 22:02 |  #64

Get some black gaf tape and cover up the Canon logo. Then get a silver sharpie and write Nikon on the tape, and your family will never know the difference. And it will be cheaper and less trouble than all that selling and buying and reading another new operator manual.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2011 22:38 |  #65

Yeah... I had to grab the D7000 sitting next to me to confirm the "can't turn off High ISO NR". There are, in fact, 4 settings to choose from, one of which is "OFF".

jwcdds wrote in post #12478154 (external link)
Well, I never mentioned anything about dynamic range and it is true (according to most reviews and technical sources) that the new Nikon sensor (or is it Sony) has greater DR than other APS-C sensors available on the market today. (As this is a wonderful thing to see and hopefully will light a fire under Canon's sensor-development department.)

But all one needs to do is flip open the Nikon D7000 manual and it will tell you. Page 205 towards the bottom of the page if you need referencing:

HIGH ISO NR - OFF
Noise reduction is only performed at ISO sensitivities of ISO 1600 and higher. The amount of noise reduction is less than the amount performed when Low is selected for High ISO NR.

I only bolded the parts that were printed in bold in the manual, not trying to stress something or throw it in anyone's face.

A whole box of point and shoots, EOS 30D, EF 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8, Super Tak 135, 70-200 f/4 L

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 25, 2011 22:38 |  #66

Hold on guys. Im going to get my Troll spray....

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2011 22:42 |  #67

I had the 30D for a couple years, but the shutter button was shot... The cleaning methods listed in several threads on this forum did not work.

I had been looking at upgrades for about a year, and none of the Canons seemed just right. It was like Goldie Locks and her porridge... The 7D was too big, and the 60D was too small. The D7000 was just right. Do I think it will make magical images, and turn me into a pro? Nope... But I wanted an upgrade, I wasn't heavily invested in Canon lenses, and it just felt right. No regrets.

A whole box of point and shoots, EOS 30D, EF 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8, Super Tak 135, 70-200 f/4 L

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,890 posts
Gallery: 1723 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 22:50 |  #68

stevemacko wrote in post #12480427 (external link)
Yeah... I had to grab the D7000 sitting next to me to confirm the "can't turn off High ISO NR". There are, in fact, 4 settings to choose from, one of which is "OFF".

Not sure if I'm reading your response right. So are you agreeing that High ISO NR can never be turned off, despite that you can select it to be "OFF"? Or were you trying to correct me, even though I took the words out of the Nikon D7000 manual word-for-word regarding that even when it's selected "OFF," there is still NR at 1600 and higher?

stevemacko wrote in post #12480457 (external link)
I had the 30D for a couple years, but the shutter button was shot... The cleaning methods listed in several threads on this forum did not work.

I had been looking at upgrades for about a year, and none of the Canons seemed just right. It was like Goldie Locks and her porridge... The 7D was too big, and the 60D was too small. The D7000 was just right. Do I think it will make magical images, and turn me into a pro? Nope... But I wanted an upgrade, I wasn't heavily invested in Canon lenses, and it just felt right. No regrets.

Good to hear. As long as as you're comfortable and happy with the tool you're using, that's what counts.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

CyberManiaK
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2011 22:57 |  #69

jwcdds wrote in post #12480504 (external link)
Not sure if I'm reading your response right. So are you agreeing that High ISO NR can never be turned off, despite that you can select it to be "OFF"? Or were you trying to correct me, even though I took the words out of the Nikon D7000 manual word-for-word regarding that even when it's selected "OFF," there is still NR at 1600 and higher?

You are right..

PG 205 of the user manual

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2011 23:48 |  #70

the only thing that matters is what YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.
forget all these technical things people are spouting out. just do whatever makes you happy. I started on canon and loved it. I went to nikon and loved it even more. at the end of the day, your camera is a tool that you alone have to use. go to a camera store and try a couple newer nikon cameras out. if you like, sell all your canon stuff and switch.

i had the exact same set up as you also (xt though) and when i switched over i did miss the ergonomics of canon though. make sure it's something you ABSOLUTELY want to do because there is nothing wrong with your current set up imo.

flickr (external link)

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 26, 2011 01:01 |  #71

Not correcting you... Correcting the poster whom you were correcting. I said it has an "OFF" setting. How can I be trying to refute you, when we agree?

jwcdds wrote in post #12480504 (external link)

Good to hear. As long as as you're comfortable and happy with the tool you're using, that's what counts.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

May 26, 2011 01:40 |  #72

CyberManiaK wrote in post #12480537 (external link)
You are right..

PG 205 of the user manual
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I can't speak for the D7000, but the wording for the D700 is similar (except it's for Hi 0.3 = ISO 8000 and higher) and I know from testing that when set to "Off" High ISO NR is only applied as stated above to jpegs. Zero NR is applied to Raw files.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 01:44 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

Their most expensive lenses don't look nearly as cool as ours..and ours are cheaper.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,890 posts
Gallery: 1723 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 26, 2011 02:26 |  #74

stevemacko wrote in post #12481051 (external link)
Not correcting you... Correcting the poster whom you were correcting. I said it has an "OFF" setting. How can I be trying to refute you, when we agree?

Hence I asked for clarification. :) I blame it on my ESL ehjuhmakeshen.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Stamp
680 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 07:11 |  #75

Because they don't have big white lenses.... duh.....

:D

1Ds Mark II, 5D Mark III, Canon AE1, Yashica Electro 35, Mamiya RB67, Yashica 124, some lenses with red rings on them, and some flashey things
- My Site (external link) -
- Like It On Facebook (external link) -

sponsored links

12,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon to nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.