Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon to nikon

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 00:34 |  #91

aboss3 wrote in post #12477806 (external link)
Just don't shoot with D7000. You may like it and switch over ;)

I think I've decided to keep the XTi and the two lenses and the flash I currently have.
...but also purchase a D90 or D7000, and whenever I get the nikon gear that I need I may either sell the XTi or keep it for a backup/second cam.

There's a local photog around here that does some AMAZING work, and I have been a fan for a few years now, however I had never spoke with them until recently.
It's a husband and wife team.

I attended a wedding this weekend, and they were the photogs.

Found out they have shot exclusively for Nikon for the past 17 years!
They currently use 2 D90s and 4 D7000s.

~Jamie
Canon T2i, gripped|LB Muse, double glass|LB Composer, double glass|Canon 50mm 1.4|Canon 55-250 IS|430EX

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,890 posts
Gallery: 1723 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 31, 2011 01:16 |  #92

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12507442 (external link)
Found out they have shot exclusively for Nikon for the past 17 years!
They currently use 2 D90s and 4 D7000s.

Well, I can guarantee you that they would likely do just as well shooting Canon, or Sony, or anything else. Experience is what matters. Their use of Nikon is more likely due to long-term lens investment and familiarity with the system/menu/functions.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2011 01:22 |  #93

wow posts on this thread.... I would like to repost my post yesterday....

I used to be a 500D user and switch to the Nikon D700

I was asking why People generally thinks Nikon is a more expensive system... it might be a little bit more expensive but it is a bit newer too... if you compare new releases on both systems you will quickly see that Canon is becoming more expensive

monk3y wrote in post #12502491 (external link)
hahahahaa :p

look at the new 70-200mm VRII and IS II... Canon is more expensive or on par

the Canon 24-70mm is cheaper coz its old
the Canon 17-40mm is cheaper (than the 16-35mmf/4) again coz its old and no VR
the Canon 24-105mm is very very slightly cheaper than new Nikon 24-120mm VR and Nikon has longer reach and VR to boot (so basically the 24-120mm is a better package for the price)
the Canon 16-35mm is more expensive than the Nikon 17-35mm

etc. etc. :lol:

and even with the newly released 500mm f/4 600mm f/4 etc... the new Canon Telephotos are very very expensive

BUT, if I know before what I know now I would probably never switch to Nikon :) I would say you would probably gain nothing from it...of course this is IMHO ;)

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 01:32 |  #94

monk3y wrote in post #12507604 (external link)
wow posts on this thread.... I would like to repost my post yesterday....

BUT, if I know before what I know now I would probably never switch to Nikon :) I would say you would probably gain nothing from it...of course this is IMHO ;)

Can you explain?

~Jamie
Canon T2i, gripped|LB Muse, double glass|LB Composer, double glass|Canon 50mm 1.4|Canon 55-250 IS|430EX

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2011 01:48 |  #95

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12507621 (external link)
Can you explain?

at least with how I shoot I never saw the benefit of going Nikon at all except when I bought the D700 it was cheaper than the 5D MKII that time :D...we all know its expensive to switch systems.and I did it early on, and since I am currently building my Noink system, I am probably not gonna do it again.

-Primes are about equal on both sides or probably better on the Canon side
-TS-E's are better as well than PC-E
-Cameras are a toss up depending on what you need...
if you need more resolution and video as well then hands down go Canon
but if better AF (more reliable?) and intuitive controls..go Nikon

ultimately both Systems have their advantage and disadvantages, but neither are lacking in producing very very good results. it always comes down to what the photographer can do :D

and ohh if you are a Gear head... then Canon is definitely a better choice, more toys more lenses to choose from ;)

this is again all IMHO :D

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 01:55 |  #96

monk3y wrote in post #12507663 (external link)
at least with how I shoot I never saw the benefit of going Nikon at all except when I bought the D700 it was cheaper than the 5D MKII that time :D...we all know its expensive to switch systems.and I did it early on, and since I am currently building my Noink system, I am probably not gonna do it again.

-Primes are about equal on both sides or probably better on the Canon side
-TS-E's are better as well than PC-E
-Cameras are a toss up depending on what you need...
if you need more resolution and video as well then hands down go Canon
but if better AF (more reliable?) and intuitive controls..go Nikon

ultimately both Systems have their advantage and disadvantages, but neither are lacking in producing very very good results. it always comes down to what the photographer can do :D

and ohh if you are a Gear head... then Canon is definitely a better choice, more toys more lenses to choose from ;)

this is again all IMHO :D

Thank you for the info :)

~Jamie

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 02:17 |  #97

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, Nikon are suing sigma, that's enough of a reason for me to never consider switching to them :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2011 02:19 |  #98

Sirrith wrote in post #12507726 (external link)
As mentioned somewhere in this thread, Nikon are suing sigma, that's enough of a reason for me to never consider switching to them :)

why? I think that's good reason to switch... at least you know Sigma's will definitely work on Nikons ;) :lol:

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 02:30 |  #99

monk3y wrote in post #12507732 (external link)
why? I think that's good reason to switch... at least you know Sigma's will definitely work on Nikons ;) :lol:

LOL yea I was wondering the same thing

~Jamie

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 02:32 |  #100

Sirrith wrote in post #12507726 (external link)

It's over the VR thing..

Sigma tried to use it. Nikon had a copyright...

So uhm I believe Nikon has ever right to sue them!

Besides it's not like Nikon is in debt. And well I don't see any problem with them sueing someone over copyright infringement....

~Jamie

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2011 02:41 |  #101

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12507753 (external link)
LOL yea I was wondering the same thing

hehe if I am not mistaken... Sigma has already been using the OS system according to Nikon. and Nikon wants compensation I guess for the use of the said system. I am not sure they will win though... the case is complicated :D

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 03:12 |  #102

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12507759 (external link)
It's over the VR thing..

Sigma tried to use it. Nikon had a copyright...

So uhm I believe Nikon has ever right to sue them!

Besides it's not like Nikon is in debt. And well I don't see any problem with them sueing someone over copyright infringement....

There hasn't been a decision yet, so saying Sigma has infringed copyright is plain speculation, and Sigma refused settlement, so that means they believe that they didn't do anything wrong, or that they have a good chance of winning. If they knew they were infringing, they would have settled. Why? Because they know the judge ain't stupid, and it makes no sense to waste the court's time, and lawyers fees trying to argue something they know they'll lose.
IMO Nikon is suing Sigma just because Sigma's OS is similar to Nikon's VR, and Nikon have decided that they need the extra money.
Following your line of reasoning, Canon should be able to sue Nikon then, shouldn't they? After all, Canon came out with the first IS lens before Nikon came out with their first VR lens, so Canon must have "ever" right to sue Nikon!

why? I think that's good reason to switch... at least you know Sigma's will definitely work on Nikons

Why would Sigma definitely work on Nikons? Nikon is just suing for copyright infringement, that doesn't mean Sigma has to make their lenses according to Nikon's specs in the future, and in fact, they may just end up dropping OS for Nikon mount lenses altogether if things go badly for them, which means that sticking with Canon would be the smart thing to do in that scenario...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 31, 2011 03:29 |  #103

but then why would I base my decision on Sigma in the first place? whether I am a Canon or Nikon user I would never make my decision base on the possibility that Sigma lenses might not work with my system in the future. ;)

There hasn't been a decision yet, so saying Sigma has infringed copyright is plain speculation, and Sigma refused settlement, so that means they believe that they didn't do anything wrong, or that they have a good chance of winning. If they knew they were infringing, they would have settled. Why? Because they know the judge ain't stupid, and it makes no sense to waste the court's time, and lawyers fees trying to argue something they know they'll lose.
IMO Nikon is suing Sigma just because Sigma's OS is similar to Nikon's VR, and Nikon have decided that they need the extra money.

you yourself is speculating that Nikon is doing this because they need the money :lol: but I agree Nikon will not win in this battle...its too complicated

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 03:36 |  #104

monk3y wrote in post #12507853 (external link)
but then why would I base my decision on Sigma in the first place? whether I am a Canon or Nikon user I would never make my decision base on the possibility that Sigma lenses might not work with my system in the future. ;)

I never said you should base your decision on it :) I said its enough of a reason for me ;)

you yourself is speculating that Nikon is doing this because they need the money :lol: but I agree Nikon will not win in this battle...its too complicated

Yes, but thats all we can do at the moment, speculate. However, we can make informed guesses based on the facts we know ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2011 10:22 |  #105

monk3y wrote in post #12507853 (external link)

EXACTLY

~Jamie

sponsored links

12,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon to nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.