Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 May 2011 (Thursday) 03:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheetah

arch.cm
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 03:39 |  #1

Just went to the zoo yesterday (it was pretty cloudy since it had just rained) and took some pics... I kind of like this shot out of the bunch, what do you think?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I forgot to mention this was taken behind a glass window.

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 26, 2011 06:31 |  #2

It looks like there was no thought given to the image...just a snapshot of the Cheetah. Next time wait for the whole animal to be visible or go for just a head shot. PP needs work.
Squeezing the shutter is only part of the process.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 10:17 |  #3

chauncey wrote in post #12481628 (external link)
It looks like there was no thought given to the image...just a snapshot of the Cheetah. Next time wait for the whole animal to be visible or go for just a head shot. PP needs work.
Squeezing the shutter is only part of the process.

Actually, I wasn't really worried about the composition, I think it works. How much thought can you give to a Cheetah when it's running? I don't think that just because the entire subject isn't in the frame (in this case the log is blocking part of the leg) it's wrong... I was thinking more that the cheetah's right eye is a bit on the dark side, etc. But, thanks for the feedback :cool:

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 26, 2011 10:22 as a reply to  @ arch.cm's post |  #4

Taking photos of beasts in the zoo is always about composition.you want it to look as uncluttered as you possibly can.Its mostly positioning yourself to get the best angle. Tough sometimes, but patience will pay off.Crop this one as well..you want the cheetah to shine, not the log.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 26, 2011 10:53 |  #5

Wow, a little rough on this one guys...I like the picture, I just would like the eyes brighter. The focus is on point…maybe with the right crop and some pp it could be great.

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 26, 2011 10:54 as a reply to  @ jerefish's post |  #6

not "rough" at all.this is C&C..less time in processing is what the goal should be , so getting it as close to right as you can in camera is fabulous.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2011 10:58 |  #7

I would overlook any technical issues to get a shot of a cheetah that is in stalking mode and looking right at ME as if I'm a buffet item. I'd lighten the eyes a bit, but otherwise, I love this shot.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 26, 2011 11:25 |  #8

Flo wrote in post #12482842 (external link)
not "rough" at all.this is C&C..less time in processing is what the goal should be , so getting it as close to right as you can in camera is fabulous.

Well right but I just think it's not all horrible and that's all that was said at first.

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 26, 2011 11:33 |  #9

No one said it was horrible, they just gave honest critique.

I think it's a very nice shot.
Sure, I don't like the log in there, and I think it could be a tad warmer.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

olivier.zueri
64 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 11:52 |  #10

I think it's an okay photo of a cheetah in a zoo with an SLR and not a point 'n shoot. I do agree somewhat that if you're in the zoo and in no danger of getting eaten and the animal doesn't have anywhere to go really, one can really use that time to frame the photo as close to perfect as possible. Then again you said you didn't really care much for the composition...so nice photo.

i like people
www.osmeier.com (external link) |www.facebook.com/Olivi​erMeierPhotography (external link)

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 11:58 |  #11

Ok, here is a crop, is this better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Full Gear List

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 26, 2011 12:11 |  #12

Okay sorry arch for muddying up this thread.

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 26, 2011 12:18 |  #13

arch.cm - I prefer the original to the heavy crop.....it is not that bad.
Anyway, I agree that the eyes need to be brightened which would have been impossible to see when you shot it. The fix is very simple - use a medium soft brush and about the size of the eye and use the dodge tool (just like when we did it in the darkroom). You might need to do it twice. I am assuming you have the SW that has this or use some sort of mask on the eyes only and increase exposure.

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 12:20 |  #14

jerefish wrote in post #12483282 (external link)
Okay sorry arch for muddying up this thread.

That's ok! I think feedback is great whether it's positive or negative as long as it's constructive :)

I just don't get why either the whole body of the animal has to show or just the head in a composition when there are shots like this by National Geographic:

http://animals.nationa​lgeographic.co.in …ls/printable/ch​eetah.html (external link)

http://news.nationalge​ographic.com/news/bigp​hotos/81122945.html (external link)

Obviously, mine isn't even close to those (I'm just an amateur). When we go to the zoo aren't we trying to take a picture of an animal as if it were in the wild? There are gonna be logs, trees, grass, etc. in the way.

Full Gear List

arch.cm
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 12:22 |  #15

Spike44 wrote in post #12483327 (external link)
arch.cm - I prefer the original to the heavy crop.....it is not that bad.
Anyway, I agree that the eyes need to be brightened which would have been impossible to see when you shot it. The fix is very simple - use a medium soft brush and about the size of the eye and use the dodge tool (just like when we did it in the darkroom). You might need to do it twice. I am assuming you have the SW that has this or use some sort of mask on the eyes only and increase exposure.

Yeah, actually in the crop I used the dodge tool to lighten up the eye... maybe it needs some more work?

I think I like the original one as well :)

Full Gear List

sponsored links

2,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheetah
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.