Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 May 2011 (Thursday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D MKII Back Focusing Issues.

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 21:29 |  #1

After purchasing my 1D mkII from KEH a few months ago, it has become apparent that I have a pretty bad back focusing issue. I was not aware of the full extent until I rented a 100mm f/2 and tested it with some portraits. It seams to be happening somewhat regularly, but sometimes it nails focus.

Here is an example shot and crop. I really am ticked, as I spent the money to rent that lens for my sisters graduation. I really hope KEH will still honor the 60 day warranty, as it may have expired 2 or 3 days ago.

My question is, if they will not replace/repair it, how much does it usually cost for Canon to adjust bodies. Alternately, Is there another reputable dealer that can do it quicker or cheaper?

Are there any known issues with the 1D's focusing?

Thanks in advance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

GE6F2913 (external link) by McClammaIV (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

GE6F2913 (external link) by McClammaIV (external link), on Flickr

This, while not the most extreme case, is the most apparent, as the wall is clearly more in focus. (spot focus point on the middle of the face, several shots taken so not a case of simply grabbing the wrong point of focus)

sponsored links
richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 26, 2011 22:12 |  #2

Does it happen with your 50mm?

Gearlist · Feedback

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 22:25 |  #3

Yes. Happens with any lens, even a friends 135L, but only if the subject is farther away.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 27, 2011 01:24 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Your camera is seeing that nikon strap and assuming you meant to focus on the much more interesting brick wall behind it..

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

stargazer77517
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 27, 2011 07:31 as a reply to  @ sbattey's post |  #5

Just had my 1D2 serviced by canon for focus issues, 335.00 It also included cleaning, lubrication.
Send it to canon with a copy of these photos, so they will know what to look for.

Davis (Fred)
My Gallery http://davisbourque.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 27, 2011 08:25 |  #6

sbattey wrote in post #12487190 (external link)
Your camera is seeing that nikon strap and assuming you meant to focus on the much more interesting brick wall behind it..

Yeah that thought did cross my mind.

So 355 just to adjust focus? It's not like it's spastic, it's pure back focusing

This really is giving me a headache. I started out with nikon, they never did seem to have any issues like this... Might be time for a trip to the darkside. D90s have dropped sp much in price, and I could even swing a d7000.

This really sucks. That was hopefully going to be my last body for a while.

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 27, 2011 10:30 |  #7

Have you tried Calling KEH?

Gearlist · Feedback

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 27, 2011 11:13 as a reply to  @ richierich1212's post |  #8

Did you use the center auto focus point?

Sometimes the 1D will keep focus search active even if you are using center point with one shot, as the brick wall offers a LOT of contrast compared to the face.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 27, 2011 15:57 |  #9

richierich1212 wrote in post #12488893 (external link)
Have you tried Calling KEH?

Yep! Good news, spoke with Dan, who I placed my order with, and he is letting me exchange it even though it's a few days out of the 60 day guarantee. I highly recommend Keh to all my friends, and this is simply a spoof.

They have taken care of me and Dan is an excellent salesman/rep.

pyrojim wrote in post #12489120 (external link)
Did you use the center auto focus point?

Sometimes the 1D will keep focus search active even if you are using center point with one shot, as the brick wall offers a LOT of contrast compared to the face.

Yep, used single point and same problem. before I called KEH I set up two product boxes one 4 or 5 inches behind the other, 10 feet from the camera. Focused on the front box and it was blurry. The rear box was much sharper. Confirmed my fears.

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 27, 2011 16:04 |  #10

Here is one last example showing the setup for testing. It's much worse off shooting an event. I had to focus on the microphone at the podium just to get the person in focus standing behind it. focus point was set to the "ck" in "pocky." the lighter fuel was 4 inches behind the plane of focus at 10' from the camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 27, 2011 16:23 |  #11

Yeah I bought an ugly-rated body from KEH a few weeks ago. It was definitely ugly. Arthur recommended that I not buy ugly-rated bodies from them because those are usually reserved for repair shops. They took it back no questions asked. I just wish their prices were a little bit more competitive.

Glad to hear that they are willing to exchange it for you outside of the 60-day window!!

Gearlist · Feedback

sponsored links

1,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D MKII Back Focusing Issues.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.