Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2011 (Friday) 15:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X100 EPIC WIN ?? Pricing

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 27, 2011 15:59 |  #1

Hey folks,

I've been seduced by the Fuji X100 but want to know the opinion of clearler heads. Do you think the price will drop within 6 months? Do you think another company will have the guts to get on the bandwagon?

I'd hate to drop $1200 and find out 4 months later that it was all hype and they are not selling.

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

sponsored links
shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 27, 2011 16:30 |  #2

This is the first I've seen of the camera, and it looks awesome. Now I want one too!

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 27, 2011 16:50 as a reply to  @ shedberg's post |  #3

Injecting my own personal opinion here; this is the first in the next step in pushing the limits of technology; cramming an ASP sensor into a point and shoot that delivers DSLR quality. We will see the same thing happen with DSLR camera as they push medium format into our favorite bodies with pricing that will allow amateur and/or aspiring professionals the same quality.

With my love of ultralight backpacking, finding a camera that delivers DSLR quality in a lightweight package is very appealing.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 27, 2011 17:09 |  #4

Yes the price will drop at some point; when is anyone's guess.

If you want to be an early-adopter, you'll pay the price. If you can't wait, you'll pay the price. However, if you have the money to do it, and sincerely want to, why stop? By the time you get the price to where you want it, next thing you know you'll be hearing rumors about it's replacement, and wonder if you should hold out for ther replacement. Then you'll need to know if the replacement is worth the money over the original, and if the replacement's cost is going to come down soon.....

;)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2011 18:10 |  #5

I've had the camera for over a month before I sold it two days ago to fund a M9. It's a great camera and well worth the $1200 price tag. If you know what you're getting into, then you won't regret it. I didn't! :)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 27, 2011 18:27 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #6

Initially, I wanted this camera so bad, I was literally dreaming about it. Then the earthquake struck. The prices went nuts. Then the DPReview came out and it was hardly laudatory.

Long story short, I'm taking a pass. I'll wait for the next gen to come out and then I'll get one. I like the idea of a simple but quality camera that enables the photographer to concentrate on making images, not pressing a jillion buttons. But I don't think manufacturers have quite gotten there yet.

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 27, 2011 18:31 |  #7

Same story, wanted it for portability and look, can't justify price, so screw it, sticking to my trusty DSLR

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 28, 2011 04:47 |  #8

Photon Phil wrote in post #12490491 (external link)
Do you think another company will have the guts to get on the bandwagon?

Samsung have put out a few retro style concepts, who knows, they might eventually make them.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 28, 2011 08:55 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #9

I think half a year or 1 year from now you are going to look at the fuji and think why the hell did I pay 1200 when now they're going for 700, which I think it was supposed to be priced at

Oh, and even more ridiculous thing is: people are buying it on the used market for 1400 while in store it is priced at around 1200, just because supplies are limited.

"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

wambam
84 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 28, 2011 09:09 |  #10

Scapevision wrote in post #12493798 (external link)
I think half a year or 1 year from now you are going to look at the fuji and think why the hell did I pay 1200 when now they're going for 700, which I think it was supposed to be priced at

Oh, and even more ridiculous thing is: people are buying it on the used market for 1400 while in store it is priced at around 1200, just because supplies are limited.

In 1 year from now which camera will of gone up in value.:rolleyes:

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 28, 2011 10:53 |  #11

wambam wrote in post #12493820 (external link)
In 1 year from now which camera will of gone up in value.:rolleyes:

that's not the point

watduzhkstand4
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 29, 2011 10:23 |  #12

I thought the camera was $1000 and the reason why it's $1200 or $1400 that I've seen is from the hype. I honestly don't think this camera is worth so much...

flickr (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 29, 2011 13:00 |  #13

It's priced at $1200 but they're going for higher because of the hype. And it's not a camera that most people will "understand" I guess, the way of shooting is very different and unfamiliar to most people.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2011 14:57 |  #14

can't change lenses? pass...

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 29, 2011 16:06 as a reply to  @ Chippy569's post |  #15

It's priced that high because of the earthquake and very high demand, not because of hype. It shoots awesome pics but I wanted something simple and straighforward and DPreviews suggests it's fiddly. The last thing I want is another fiddly camera.

sponsored links

1,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
X100 EPIC WIN ?? Pricing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.