Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2011 (Tuesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 Days in Yellowstone & 3 Days in Banff

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 31, 2011 20:29 |  #1

Doing a road trip that includes 3 days at both parks. What are some landmarks within those parks I'm gonna want to hit?

I'm doing my own searching of course, just curious to hear some suggestions.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2011 03:28 |  #2

To begin, I don't think three days is enough for either park. What about Jasper, Grand Tetons, Glacier and Waterton Lakes. All of these deserve your attention as well, although I realize you may not have time for all on one trip.

There really is too much to just list things. There are some great web sites that identify specific attractions, using Google of course to find them. I also invite you to take a look at my gallery (link below) for ideas. It's organized by state/province, so these parks are easy to find.

However long you are there, and whatever you decide to do, both parks are fantastic and you will be sure to return for longer visits in the future. Have fun.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 01, 2011 10:03 |  #3

The time alloted is the time alloted. I'd love to spend forever everywhere but I can't. 3 days. Thus the point in asking for the can't miss items. I think a trip down to Grand Teton NP will be part of the 3 days at Yellowstone.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 01, 2011 10:42 |  #4

Three days in Yellowstone....Just drive through the park with your finger on the shutter button...LOL..

In all honesty, Just get a park map and hit the easy stuff. It's such a large area you'll be driving from place to place most of the time. I don't think it's possible to take a bad picture there.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2011 12:32 |  #5

OK, here goes.

In Yellowstone, Old Faithful and nearby geysers, Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Allow a day for each and all the springs, rivers, waterfalls and mountains on the way to each. Maybe you can drive through Grand Tetons on the way out.

In Banff, one day around town, including Vermilion Lakes, Lale Minnewanka and others on the way there. Another day for Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Lake Herbert, Bow Lake and Glacier, Peyto Lake. (All of them are best at sunrise.) Final day going past Columbia Icefield, Tangle Falls, etc. Wildlife will slow you down.

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

pudgy_groundhog
Goldmember
1,161 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 01, 2011 12:54 |  #6

Do you hike? Pretty much anything I would recommend in Banff would involve hiking. I would strongly suggest trying for a bus reservation for Lake O'Hara, but you are likely too late for that (it's three months in advance I believe).

- Katherine
pictures from the pudge (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2011 15:28 |  #7

Speaking of hiking, a short hike but one of the best is Johnston Canyon. Several beautiful waterfalls along the trail.

ExPlanet
105 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 02, 2011 11:55 |  #8

I suppose 3 days is better than no days! Banff is just as expansive as Yellow Stone, I went there a couple years ago and you'll surely need 3 weeks!

Are you going to be allowed to do your own thing once you get there??? If so I suggest taking up a couple of hiking trails in Banff here (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 04, 2011 18:11 |  #9

Not enough time. Plus, you're driving past Glacier NP and tens of millions of acres of Montana national forest and wilderness which is wilder than the southern half of Alberta.

Skip Banff, IMHO and focus all six days on Yellowstone/Grand Teton. The Yellowstone ecosystem is 18 million acres and comprised of millions of acres of wilderness and unique mountain ranges that would take a lifetime to properly explore.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 17:14 |  #10

sparker1 wrote in post #12516408 (external link)
In Yellowstone, Old Faithful and nearby geysers, Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Allow a day for each and all the springs, rivers, waterfalls and mountains on the way to each. Maybe you can drive through Grand Tetons on the way out.

In Banff, one day around town, including Vermilion Lakes, Lake Minnewanka and others on the way there (Bow Falls, early morning). Another day for Lake Louise, Moraine Lake (perhaps pick one or the other), Lake Herbert, Bow Lake and Glacier, Peyto Lake. (All of them are best at sunrise. for me, they were good til mid-morning) Final day going past Columbia Icefield, Tangle Falls, etc. Wildlife and tourists will slow you down everywhere.

Some excellent choices herein. See my recommendations and addenda in red. Johnson Canyon is amazing but dark, and the parking lot was nearly full when we went. For me, Peyto Lake is a unique photo op, I would like to go back and spend an entire day there. If you can get a reservation at this place, try it, we love it: http://www.sntj.ca/ (external link)
BTW, my Yelowstone trip was a complete loss, due to forest fires and smoke and haze. Drive carefully on your journey. I believe they had snow up in Alberta this week, hard to imagine here in Texas.

MIKEIVAN

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 06, 2011 09:08 |  #11

We are going to start at the Tetons and move up through Yellowstone as we're heading north to Banff.

flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2011 09:16 |  #12

3 days? these are big places. in Yellowstone try to see Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs. in Banf try and catch either Lake Louise or Moraine Lake.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 06, 2011 10:40 |  #13

Really guys... I really do appreciate the advice but the non-advice advice of "it's not enough time" is just playing Captain Obvious/Oblivious and making me reluctant to even bother sifting through for the well meant advice. No **** it's not enough time to see everything. That's not my goal. No **** they're very big places. I know there is lots to see and I will only see a small fraction of it. I also know the goals of my trip, one of which includes not hanging around in anyone spot too long. This is the time I've allotted. Think of this as a cruise. One day isn't enough to see all of St. Lucia or St. Kitts but I certainly enjoy the excursion I take there on that one afternoon before I gotta get back to the ship. The ship, my Tercel, is only stopping in a few ports of which I'm sure I'll enjoy the little slice I see. I'm not gonna enjoy it if I sit around moping about what I don't see. So, when I don't see it all I'll get over it. If I really like a place I will go back. Unless the Yellowstone volcano goes off it'll be there to see again another day right? And Banff ain't going anywhere fast either.

I've got roughly 14 days on the road and other stuff on the agenda that's just as important to me to see. Our first stop is the Road America Nascar race to watch Jacques Villeneuve kick ass, we're also stopping at the location of the gas bar from the show Corner Gas, Mt Rushmore and more. It's gonna be packed. It's gonna be great.

flickr (external link)

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2011 13:54 |  #14

I had a seminar in Red Lodge MT that started on a Monday afternoon. All I had to do was pick up my wifes air and we had a mini vacation in Yellowstone that was WELL worth it.

We flew into Billings Sat AM, hit Cody for lunch and stayed just outside the East entrance to the park. Got an early jump, banged the right into Hayden Valley, hit some of the points at Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, then made the smaller loop from Canyon Village through Norris and South to Old Faithful. We were lucky enough to get a night at the Yellowstone Hotel in the park and enjoyed the string quartet and a meal in the dining room (all part of the experience in our minds). Should have gotten an earlier start the next morning, but still went thru Hayden Valley again and exited thru the Northeast corner. If that's an option (driving Beartooth pass) take it! Checked in for my seminar by 3 PM.

Yeah, only 2 partial days and one night in the park, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My biggest regret is not getting to Mammoth Hot Springs, which may have been possible with an earlier departure that Monday morning.

4 years or so later, we are finally getting around to planning a more relaxing trip to Yellowstone, combining the Tetons with it. You're correct in that sometimes you have to live with your limitations and make the best of a still good situation.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 09, 2011 15:59 |  #15

Another "must see" sight in Banff National Park is Peyto Lake. It's a "staple" of every single Canadian Rocky Mountain scenic calendar. You've probably seen dozens of images of it, but pictures just do not do it justice. It's one of those natural sights that you actually have to see to believe how beautiful it is.

Also if you drive up the Icefields Parkway from Banff/Lake Louise to Jasper there are many vistas to view, and also a few waterfalls. Absolutely breathtaking.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

sponsored links

11,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 Days in Yellowstone & 3 Days in Banff
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.