Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Camera Lighting at Wedding??

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 01, 2011 10:07 |  #1

I am new to flash photography and I was wondering whether off camera lighting typically ruins the scene set by the bride and groom. I'm trying to imagine bright lights going off with each click of the shutter and it seems a bit intrusive and attention grabbing. Does any have an issue with off camera lighting at a wedding reception or is it pretty much unnoticeable?

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

sponsored links
KSPhotography
289 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2011 10:20 |  #2

Honestly, at most weddings, I have the bride ask me how I'm taking pictures in a dim environment without a flash. They almost don't even notice that I have strobes setup in the reception halls.

I've recently started to add a fill flash on camera to complement the strobes, but I've never had anyone say it's intrusive. Of course, this is just me...others may have different opinions.

Wedding Photographer for the Indian Community in Chicago
(2) 5D Mark II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2 II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35L II, 100mm Macro and a few more L's

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 01, 2011 10:29 |  #3

If you have lights blasting into people's faces, then yeah it can be annoying. I was a guest at a wedding where this happened. I was practically blind by the end of the night.

But you can also place the lights so it's not obtrusive. I prefer to bounce my off camera lights so it's never firing directly into someone's face. Nobody really notices.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2011 17:21 |  #4

You mean at receptions? I off camera light a lot of the day.

I do reception lighting like this. No-one's ever commented about them being annoying.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jkim05
127 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 01, 2011 19:16 |  #5

iamchanel wrote in post #12515619 (external link)
I am new to flash photography and I was wondering whether off camera lighting typically ruins the scene set by the bride and groom. I'm trying to imagine bright lights going off with each click of the shutter and it seems a bit intrusive and attention grabbing. Does any have an issue with off camera lighting at a wedding reception or is it pretty much unnoticeable?

The duration of the flash itself is so short its mostly unnoticeable unless you're aware of it and looking for it, especially when the strobes are aimed to light the room as a whole. Off to the sides and to the back, the audience focused on the bride and groom will hardly notice the amount of light coming from a strobe for the most part. Think about large indoor sporting events, those are lit by many super high powered strobes, but most of the fans are completely unaware. If you watch carefully, you can see them go off on TV broadcasts, but until I knew they were they, I never noticed. Now I feel like I'm getting blinded at times during events, but that's only because I know it's happening so it's mostly in my head. The people around me are blissfully unaware.

So for the most part, off camera lighting is less intrusive than on camera flash in my opinion, and ultimately the more pleasing light created by off camera flash is well worth it.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 01, 2011 20:10 |  #6

You mean, kinda like the hundreds of other P & S cameras firing off flash? Trust me, unless you have your strobes pointed directly at them, they won't even bat an eye...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 01, 2011 20:52 |  #7

What they said.

As for ruining the ambient...my lights look better. Don't make the sconces & chandelier look like they're turned off and they'll think it's fabulous.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 01, 2011 21:07 |  #8

I've been doing weddings for over 30 years and since around 1980, for every reception, I've had strobes set up. I've had two complaints and those came from people that had a table a little close to the strobe. (most likely my fault and have since learned where to place the lights). I've always had a fill flash on my camera, so to the subjects, all they see is the flash on the camera. They aren't even aware of the strobes. My strobes don't light up the room like daylight but just give enough light to eliminate the background darkness you'll see from just an on camera flash. My side lights are usually set a stop to a stop and a half lower than the flash on my camera. I never lose the mood intended by the bride.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2011 21:14 |  #9

I try and use natural/ambient when possible, but there are definitely times when the light is ugly or the levels too low. People don't really complain- really, it's all part of the job you're doing.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 02, 2011 02:19 |  #10

PMCphotography wrote in post #12519287 (external link)
I try and use natural/ambient when possible, but there are definitely times when the light is ugly or the levels too low. People don't really complain- really, it's all part of the job you're doing.

That would be "almost every time" around these parts. :mad:

I did two wedding receptions during the daylight that had huge FTC windows awhile back though. That made me as giddy as a schoolgirl getting kissed for the first time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 02, 2011 06:50 |  #11

for the main flash itself, I usually bounce it so it's not nailing people in the face. Sometimes I use the reflector card (built in the 580ex) to provide a little light forward at the people.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

iamchanel
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 02, 2011 18:11 |  #12

Thanks everyone for these wonderful responses. I definitely feel more comfortable with the off camera lighting now. As i stated I don't have much experience with it but I don't see how you can really mess it up. :)

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 02, 2011 22:19 |  #13

cdifoto wrote in post #12520753 (external link)
That would be "almost every time" around these parts. :mad:

I did two wedding receptions during the daylight that had huge FTC windows awhile back though. That made me as giddy as a schoolgirl getting kissed for the first time.

What's an FTC window?

Twitter (external link)

jkim05
127 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 02, 2011 23:32 |  #14

PMCphotography wrote in post #12526239 (external link)
What's an FTC window?

Floor to ceiling.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 05, 2011 19:56 |  #15

jkim05 wrote in post #12526618 (external link)
Floor to ceiling.

Gotcha :)

Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

3,303 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off Camera Lighting at Wedding??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.